Brad Friedel

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry Cahspur but the writing is on the wall here. There's no way Levy has given him an extension as a charitable gesture for his great service. Levy is one ruthless piece of work when it comes to contracts & negotiations. He is there as a bona fide squad member. He is too old & slow now. He'd be a great coach, but we have one courtesy of our new manager. He'd be an exemplary ambassador for the club, but that's not what his contract is about as far as I can tell (I didn't see ledley making the news with a one year contract as a club ambassador). That leaves one conclusion- he is likely to terrorise the fans who love him whenever he puts on his goalie gloves next season. It's like a past it boxer having one last glory night...except he could be in for ages if Lloris gets injured. That scares the bejesus out if me

If that's what you choose to believe, rather than the fact that no club goes into a full season with three senior keepers, then I'm not sure there's anything else I can say other than he is indeed a squad member and it wasn't for charity, but so was Gomes last year. He didn't see a second of play either in the league or in the cups. Just because they're on the roster doesn't me they're destined to play, much like Simon Dawkins and Jon Obika were from this past year.

I'm tellin ya bud, we will have a new keeper brought in this summer. I'll bet my left nut on it, and as such if you come to own my testicle then I will guarantee you the naming rights of my first offspring from which I'm certain the winning sperm came from said testicle. I ask for nothing in return. Deal?

I'd have kept Gomez as 3rd choice to be honest cos Brad will only sully his reputation - he is past it as a goalie. For fuck sake he is only 2 years younger than me-that isn't a good starting point. He didn't even make the USA final 23 so that shows how far his star is on the decline.

I should perhaps qualify that. It wasn't meant as much of an insult to the USA World Cup squad, more a reflection that some guy from Real Salt Lake Soccer club is more highly regarded than our current number 2...

I should perhaps qualify that. It wasn't meant as much of an insult to the USA World Cup squad, more a reflection that some guy from Real Salt Lake Soccer club is more highly regarded than our current number 2...

Rimando is a very good keeper despite playing in MLS.

So do you not wish to take my guarantee? No loss to you whatsoever. I'm only saying all this to offer solace mate, I think you'll be pleased we've upgraded from the past two years come the end of the summer.

I'd have kept Gomez as 3rd choice to be honest cos Brad will only sully his reputation - he is past it as a goalie. For fuck sake he is only 2 years younger than me-that isn't a good starting point. He didn't even make the USA final 23 so that shows how far his star is on the decline.

He's been retired from international fooball for almost 10 years mate.

Rimando is a very good keeper despite playing in MLS.

So do you not wish to take my guarantee? No loss to you whatsoever. I'm only saying all this to offer solace mate, I think you'll be pleased we've upgraded from the past two years come the end of the summer.
A guarantee of another man's testicle? Err. I will pass on that thanks. You keep hold of them for now.

A guarantee of another man's testicle? Err. I will pass on that thanks. You keep hold of them for now.

Well I suppose you could've used it to sell my children into slavery, but whatever. Suit yourself.

Remember this conversation though when our new No 2 is holding up the shirt ;)

Eh, at this point, I'm not too worried about 'em. Have used me trusty left nut many times as makeweight in bets, and yet I've somehow managed to retain possession this long ;)

Sorry Cahspur but the writing is on the wall here. There's no way Levy has given him an extension as a charitable gesture for his great service. Levy is one ruthless piece of work when it comes to contracts & negotiations. He is there as a bona fide squad member. He is too old & slow now. He'd be a great coach, but we have one courtesy of our new manager. He'd be an exemplary ambassador for the club, but that's not what his contract is about as far as I can tell (I didn't see ledley making the news with a one year contract as a club ambassador). That leaves one conclusion- he is likely to terrorise the fans who love him whenever he puts on his goalie gloves next season. It's like a past it boxer having one last glory night...except he could be in for ages if Lloris gets injured. That scares the bejesus out if me
Or, perhaps, Levy wants an American involved so we can stay marketable over there. Theres no guarantee we'll sign one this summer...

On a similar note, I'm almost certain we'll sign an american at some point in the next 2 or 3 transfer windows. It'll be built up as a squad thing... but we know the truth...

Or, perhaps, Levy wants an American involved so we can stay marketable over there. Theres no guarantee we'll sign one this summer...

On a similar note, I'm almost certain we'll sign an american at some point in the next 2 or 3 transfer windows. It'll be built up as a squad thing... but we know the truth...
I don't disagree that the US market could be huge for THFC. & I think Brad is an exceptional professional to showcase us favourably moving forwards. I just quake at the thought that he may be considered as our reserve goalie in anything other than a veterans match. He will be like Dawson on Prozac.

Considering i posted this expecting the Europa game he played in to be his last, this news comes as somewhat surprisimg.

I think the new playing contract is nothing more than a "cover" contract meaning he will only play in the event of our first or second choice keepers being injured - its all more about the U.S.A. Role, which i wholeheartedly support.

Like cahspur cahspur i think we will either be looking at a young English keeper to come in as number 2, or promoting Archer. We need to be clever with the HG rule and those reserve goalie positions in the squad are no brainers to use up the HG count with.

Back
Top Bottom