Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got to give him time but it’s nothing like Son. It was obvious to anyone who knew anything that Son was an amazing player. Only idiots slatted him that first season. Personally dont think Johnson is all that great, over paid, but lets see next year.
Couldn’t agree more.

Johnson is nowhere near Son levels. And that’s the concern. I have absolutely zero issue with the lad getting used to the team. I wouldn’t mind if he didn’t score a single goal or register an assist for the rest of the season, if we saw skilful play, workrate off the ball and some sort of clear direction in how he plays.

As you say, here’s hoping he develops. That said, I suspect we’ve paid about 20 million too much for a squad player.

Couldn’t agree more.

Johnson is nowhere near Son levels. And that’s the concern. I have absolutely zero issue with the lad getting used to the team. I wouldn’t mind if he didn’t score a single goal or register an assist for the rest of the season, if we saw skilful play, workrate off the ball and some sort of clear direction in how he plays.

As you say, here’s hoping he develops. That said, I suspect we’ve paid about 20 million too much for a squad player.
Agree. He needs time.

Also think he needs to develop a nasty, ruthless streak. Son also has a baby face, but he’s a stone cold finisher. Want to see the same from Brennan. He has all the attributes.

Bit worried that with Brennan, Richy, Werner were compiling a team of finishers….who aren’t very good at finishing

Last edited:
Agree. He needs time.

Also think he needs to develop a nasty, ruthless streak. Son also has a baby face, but he’s a stone cold finisher. Want to see the same from Brennan. He has all the attributes.

Bit worried that with Brennan, Richy, Werner were compiling a team of attack of finishers….whi aren’t very good at finishing

I don't think Brennan is a bad finisher at all and on current form, Richy is outperforming his xG. I get that his Spurs career to date hadn't been clinical but we are seeing a player much more like the one that is prolific for Brazil.

Opinions really divided on Johnson. In some ways it reminds me of when Darren Anderton joined us.

I know Anderton was a year or two younger, but in that first season, he was like a scared rabbit at times. There was the odd flash of inspiration and quality but so much of what he did never paid off. By his own admission (in later years) he said he regularly hugged the touchline to hide. It was only through good coaching and encouragement from Terry Venables, and getting him to believe in himself, that his confidence grew and he became a player of real quality. There are similarities with Johnson. Hopefully he won’t get the injuries Anderton suffered, but if there is a player in there that can grow in confidence, show some aggression and fight, then I am positive Ange is the man to bring it out.

Couldn’t agree more.

Heard Brentford had £30-35M bid accepted earlier in the window but then forest changed their minds wanting more.

Agree. He needs time.

Bit worried that with Brennan, Richy, Werner were compiling a team of finishers….who aren’t very good at finishing
Compiling a team of finishers? Since when have those 3 been categorised as finishers. None are exactly your lanes, linekers, Owen’s, fowlers, shearers etc.

The front 3 are normally where you play your team's finishers, Richy, Johnson, Werner played there last game,as a group could have done better, which is a good thing if that's how you choose to look at it

He obviously needs to be given a chance. It’s not like he’s came in and offered nothing and is a hindrance to the team. He’s not Sessegnon or Tanganga who you know will just be utterly useless. He has delivered and will continue to deliver but needs to use his biggest attribute more. Having pace like his is a dream for a footballer but still wants to come to the ball too much. When he does get full backs running facing their own goal he causes problems like his assists for Richy against Everton and Bournemouth. He does lack self belief at times and every mistake he makes his face tells you it is not getting shrugged off straight away. He needs to get more confidence in himself and go out there as if he owns the place. He’s not a kid anymore and it’s time to really step up because if he doesn’t he will not play. The standard of player that will come to the club in the next year or two will be much higher and he won’t want to get left behind.
Let’s hope he has the balls for this and good luck to him.

He obviously needs to be given a chance. It’s not like he’s came in and offered nothing and is a hindrance to the team
he has been given a chance. hes like son where if hes not getting goals or assists hes offering nothing. both dont wanna roll sleeves up and get stuck in, its hard work if you got 1 in the front line like that let alone 2.
both should be absolute weapons to bring off the bench when we are ahead and there is space in behind due to oppo having to push on. both of them having their positions under threat is only going to be good for them, and us.

he has been given a chance. hes like son where if hes not getting goals or assists hes offering nothing. both dont wanna roll sleeves up and get stuck in, its hard work if you got 1 in the front line like that let alone 2.
both should be absolute weapons to bring off the bench when we are ahead and there is space in behind due to oppo having to push on. both of them having their positions under threat is only going to be good for them, and us.
The difference we will see in squad quality come the start of next season will be massive. Unwanted players gone and better quality hungry players in. Guys like Sonny,Deki,Richy and Johnson will have to be at it when they start games because if they aren’t they will find themselves on the bench. I agree that they would be a great weapon to have coming off the bench late on especially if teams have to come out and get back in the game. They would exploit those big spaces if they were willing to use their pace. My issue with them is they don’t use it enough.

My issue with them is they don’t use it enough.
sons fine in an open game when hes central. johnson just lacks courage in too much of the game. sons a pussy physically but put him in behind and he wont shit himself. ive seen johnson run the ball off the pitch in the last game because fucking hojlund was chasing him.

He obviously needs to be given a chance. It’s not like he’s came in and offered nothing and is a hindrance to the team. He’s not Sessegnon or Tanganga who you know will just be utterly useless. He has delivered and will continue to deliver but needs to use his biggest attribute more. Having pace like his is a dream for a footballer but still wants to come to the ball too much. When he does get full backs running facing their own goal he causes problems like his assists for Richy against Everton and Bournemouth. He does lack self belief at times and every mistake he makes his face tells you it is not getting shrugged off straight away. He needs to get more confidence in himself and go out there as if he owns the place. He’s not a kid anymore and it’s time to really step up because if he doesn’t he will not play. The standard of player that will come to the club in the next year or two will be much higher and he won’t want to get left behind.
Let’s hope he has the balls for this and good luck to him.

Another great post on this topic.

son is one of the best pressers in our team and he never stops. And just by being on the pitch he takes focus away from other players. He creates space just by taking up space.

Saying he does nothing if he doesn't score or assist is ALOB.

son is one of the best pressers in our team and he never stops. And just by being on the pitch he takes focus away from other players. He creates space just by taking up space.

Saying he does nothing if he doesn't score or assist is ALOB.
is he fuck one of the best pressers lol he might close a bit of distance but thats it. he doesnt press aggressively because he doesnt want a dual. so thats a load of bollox!

son and johnson are both poor in terms of actual football buildup. both dont want a scrap either.

Johnson has the pace to excel in a counterattack but that's not really Spurs style now. What will tell the tale on him, then, is whether he can take the ball and beat his man to a spot to launch a cross or take a shot. He's shown some signs of being able to do that. Definitely too early to pass final judgments on him. It's also going to be interesting when Son returns and there will be so many guys fighting for time on the pitch. That competition should make some of them, and hopefully Johnson, better.

Back
Top Bottom