Brentford vs Tottenham Hotspur. Saturday the 23rd of April at 17:30 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s N8!
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Levy deserves most of the blame for how things fizzled out towards the end of the Poch era but Poch himself never recovered mentally from the CL final, same as the players. He never had the same enthusiasm after that final. He thought it was destiny that we would win and we lost. I still don’t think he’s really over it, not after what’s happened with PSG.
you know you just made all that up, don't you?

That's what you believe happened

you know you just made all that up, don't you?

That's what you believe happened

Well yeah, I wrote it so it’s what I believe. Does that really need to be specified?

If you read Poch’s book you will hear how much he believes in “universal energy” and destiny. Losing that final after the many miracles it took to get there would have been a huge blow to his psyche. Let’s not forget that he was already talking about walking away from Tottenham before the final was played, he talked about how it would be perfect to win the CL with Tottenham and then move on.

The words of Poch himself:

“I think it was very difficult to accept the way the game went,” he said in quotes reported by The Sun.

“I was so disappointed afterwards. It was difficult to stop crying, to stop feeling bad.

“When you prepare for three weeks with the responsibility and in the way we did, and worked, with all the staff and players. We were very focused.

“I think we were convinced and I was convinced that the final was going to go our way. That was completely in our minds. But no one is prepared after 30 seconds of the Champions League final to concede like that.”

“But I knew after five years and with the way we were working, all the things that happened, it was going to be difficult to change a little bit in our minds and to stay open to design another plan, or a strategy to build again, a different chapter.

“A different project was going to be difficult to maintain — to keep improving.”

“I said to Daniel that we finished in the way that no one wanted but the end, because of our commitment, our emotion and our feeling — in football — it needed to happen,” the former Southampton boss admitted.

So it’s all there, in his words. He didn’t have the appetite for another 5 year project at Tottenham after the way the last season went. It was clear during the first months of the 19/20 season that the fire had gone out of his eyes. The whole team was not mentally right. We are only now beginning to get some real confidence back now that Conte is here.

Fuck it... i'm trusting the players and Conte tomorrow...
we know what we did last weekend against Brighton...
we know it can't happen again...

...there's a big chance Arse will be 3 points ahead of us by the time we kick-off tomorrow, and that's on us...
'cos even taking into account I thought they'd beat Southampton, but lose against Chelsea, had we won, we'd still be 3 points ahead...
but now they're level... the media love it... football love it, even Gooners love it...
the only fans that don't like it are us... Spurs fans. ...and the media love it... football love it, and especially Gooners love it...

we need to change the fucking narrative....

I'm sick of worrying about those cunts... they've done it to us for 25+ years... even when we were CL and they were nowhere, they still made me nervous... it's just what they do.
I guess that's what a quarter of a Century of (football) abuse) can do to you... you never rest easy, you always have one eye open... well I'm sick of it.

Save us tomorrow Tottenham... and for the remainder of the season...

we have half a dozen games left to put this to bed.
I wanna finally shut both my fucking eyes and get some rest!

Well yeah, I wrote it so it’s what I believe. Does that really need to be specified?

If you read Poch’s book you will hear how much he believes in “universal energy” and destiny. Losing that final after the many miracles it took to get there would have been a huge blow to his psyche. Let’s not forget that he was already talking about walking away from Tottenham before the final was played, he talked about how it would be perfect to win the CL with Tottenham and then move on.

“I think it was very difficult to accept the way the game went,” he said in quotes reported by The Sun.

“I was so disappointed afterwards. It was difficult to stop crying, to stop feeling bad.

“When you prepare for three weeks with the responsibility and in the way we did, and worked, with all the staff and players. We were very focused.

“I think we were convinced and I was convinced that the final was going to go our way. That was completely in our minds. But no one is prepared after 30 seconds of the Champions League final to concede like that.”

“But I knew after five years and with the way we were working, all the things that happened, it was going to be difficult to change a little bit in our minds and to stay open to design another plan, or a strategy to build again, a different chapter.

“A different project was going to be difficult to maintain — to keep improving.”

“I said to Daniel that we finished in the way that no one wanted but the end, because of our commitment, our emotion and our feeling — in football — it needed to happen,” the former Southampton boss admitted.

So it’s all there, in his words. He didn’t have the appetite for another 5 year project at Tottenham after the way the last season went. It was clear during the first months of the 19/20 season that the fire had gone out of his eyes. The whole team was not mentally right. We are only now beginning to get some real confidence back now that Conte is here.

I think I was one of the first here to say it was time for poch to move on.
And I say that as a huge fan of what poch achieved at spurs.

Speaking to a friend who knows him well it was pretty clear that things were not the same.

Sometimes you need a change in life. We didn’t refresh the squad enough and it’s then easier to change the manager (and his team) than the players. But I think both poch and Levy would have felt regret it ended as it did.

Fuck it... i'm trusting the players and Conte tomorrow...
we know what we did last weekend against Brighton...
we know it can't happen again...

...there's a big chance Arse will be 3 points ahead of us by the time we kick-off tomorrow, and that's on us...
'cos even taking into account I thought they'd beat Southampton, but lose against Chelsea, had we won, we'd still be 3 points ahead...
but now they're level... the media love it... football love it, even Gooners love it...
the only fans that don't like it are us... Spurs fans. ...and the media love it... football love it, and especially Gooners love it...

we need to change the fucking narrative....

I'm sick of worrying about those cunts... they've done it to us for 25+ years... even when we were CL and they were nowhere, they still made me nervous... it's just what they do.
I guess that's what a quarter of a Century of (football) abuse) can do to you... you never rest easy, you always have one eye open... well I'm sick of it.

Save us tomorrow Tottenham... and for the remainder of the season...

we have half a dozen games left to put this to bed.
I wanna finally shut both my fucking eyes and get some rest!
Woolwich worry about us just as much as you worry about them. I say fuck ‘em. Even if they finish above us, they won’t be winning anything anytime soon so I don’t give a shit.

It’s about finishing top four this year and next year winning a trophy. I don’t care if we finish above Woolwich or not. I just care about what we can win.

Reading some of the tweets regarding tomorrow's match, you'd be forgiven for thinking we were in a relegation battle. Fuck me, we have the most fragile fan base going.

We've been on a solid run, and made top 4 ours to lose. Brighton was shit, but it happens. Win tomorrow and everyone will be laughing again.

Just get on with it and enjoy the season.

Sometimes you need a change in life. We didn’t refresh the squad enough and it’s then easier to change the manager (and his team) than the players. But I think both poch and Levy would have felt regret it ended as it did.

This is why Pep can carry on succeeding at City. He can just carry on keeping hat squad fresh with infinite funds.
Klopp will possibly come a cropper when Salah and Mane leave, although you'd argue he's been prudent in bringing Jota and Dias in now. But Liverpool don't have the money to keep on top of that squad like City do.
Pep anywhere else (as proven) would last no more than 5 years. He'd run the squad into the ground, they'd all get old and tired and rebel and it would be over.

That's modern football. It's cheaper and easier to change 1 coach than 25 players when it goes stale. Dyche at Burnley is the latest example. No matter what he did for that club for that many years, it was over a long time ago.

Reading some of the tweets regarding tomorrow's match, you'd be forgiven for thinking we were in a relegation battle. Fuck me, we have the most fragile fan base going.

We've been on a solid run, and made top 4 ours to lose. Brighton was shit, but it happens. Win tomorrow and everyone will be laughing again.

Just get on with it and enjoy the season.
If Arse win tomorrow there's no change.
If United win tomorrow there's another team on our arse.

That’s what everyone believes happened apart from Mick Cooper Mick Cooper

Back
Top Bottom