Bryan Gil

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really enjoy his style of play and think he would have done much better with better coaching and better players around him. He was a bright spot in a god awful B team rife with dysfunction and nonperformance. He needed to be first choice winger on a solid B team and get like 40% starts plus sub minutes. We just are not in a position to offer that to him right now, sadly I don't see him being a Conte type player either and expect he will be sold in the summer.

I hope he tears it the eff up at Valencia.

👍👍👍

i agree you can get technically good players that dont make it, but that would normally be down to other things like attitude or intellect, both of which i believe gil is more than good in, works his socks off for his team.

comparing gil to the other 3 that left is like night and day imo, his attitude and desire in games shits all over the other 3 losers so its hard not to like him. anyone that gives 100% for the badge and is evident on the pitch its hard not to like, give them actual ability too and they become fan favourites.

maybe im a sucker for the players who play with an elegance, i miss watching the likes of berbatov and modric, and i think this kids the closest thing weve had to them since.

i understand the thinking behind loaning him to an english side, but then its basically the whole B team shit again where hes around players who are not on his wavelength. if the clubs got any sense they've sent him to spain with a dietician to pack on the calories and a PT whos going to get him on a decent weight lifting programme.

If he has a normal IQ he should know that he needs to build himself up to be a success in the Premier League. He doesn't have to try and be another version of Adama Traore, But just work on his upper body strength so he can hold players off to go along with his dribbling skills, which are excellent. His final ball is kind of none existent at the moment but we've seen that with young players loads of times and then it suddenly starts coming together.

I just think sending him back to a league he already knows isn't so helpful with his progression, other than perhaps playing regularly. But that's just a personal opinion.

If he has a normal IQ he should know that he needs to build himself up to be a success in the Premier League. He doesn't have to try and be another version of Adama Traore, But just work on his upper body strength so he can hold players off to go along with his dribbling skills, which are excellent. His final ball is kind of none existent at the moment but we've seen that with young players loads of times and then it suddenly starts coming together.

We'll have coaches and fitness staff advising him accordingly.

I just think sending him back to a league he already knows isn't so helpful with his progression, other than perhaps playing regularly. But that's just a personal opinion.

He's at a key age..... Yes a domerstic loan at a decent level with guaranteed minutes would likely have been preferable for all concerned, but it's important that he plays regardless and at least La Liga is a good standard of football.

Watched about 70mins of his game last night. Think it'll be a good loan for him, very talented player, hopefully he learns ways to score and assist with regularity. One we should be planning for over the next 2-3 years, not 6-12 months.

They are raving about his performance last night.

Here's a little google translate job of the thread:

"First day in the office and already offered part of the repertoire, player who can be differential in this @ValenciaCF, brings overflow, brazenness, is a dribbler, those band players who are no longer seen, "street".

7/7 in duels+4/4 in dribbles with success in a very positive first part In the 2 I leave details of his ability to also participate in interior areas and a work and involvement at a high defensive level, he must make a leap of imbalance and talent to the @ValenciaCF. @Wyscout

He is a different footballer, dribbling, as I said last night he is a rogue, I know the great of @salvagomis"

Here's a little google translate job of the thread:

"First day in the office and already offered part of the repertoire, player who can be differential in this @ValenciaCF, brings overflow, brazenness, is a dribbler, those band players who are no longer seen, "street".

7/7 in duels+4/4 in dribbles with success in a very positive first part In the 2 I leave details of his ability to also participate in interior areas and a work and involvement at a high defensive level, he must make a leap of imbalance and talent to the @ValenciaCF. @Wyscout

He is a different footballer, dribbling, as I said last night he is a rogue, I know the great of @salvagomis"
The best bit of his touches comp in the vid was the crowd reaction to hs nutmeg, huge impulsive roar. Players like this just put smiles on fans faces.

I hope he gets loads of minutes, build confidence. remains to be seen if he's a Conte player or not, we will see after the summer.

Those British journos never seem tired of inventing ridiculous stories about Spurs. I am not sure whether this Duncan Castle is so stupid that he believes this story to be true or if he's doing it just to mock Spurs.
He certainly does not know how the transfer market operates and in my eyes totally lost any credit.

Journalist says Gil nearly left for £5m before Tottenham made move

Duncan Castles has told The Transfer Window Podcast that Sevilla were ready to sell Bryan Gil to a Serie A club for just £5 million before Tottenham Hotspur got involved and eventually paid £21 million with Erik Lamela moving in the opposite direction.

Gil has returned to La Liga after a difficult start to life in North London. He did not make one start in the Premier League. And he has only been able to show glimpses of his potential, with a few minutes here and there.

The 20-year-old actually hit back at reports that he wanted to leave Tottenham at all costs. But he did still leave the club on loan in January. He will spend the rest of the season with Valencia.

‘Tottenham then made an offer’​

For some, the move to the Mestalla may not make a lot of sense. He has already proved himself in La Liga, doing enough to convince Spurs to sign him in the summer.

But Tottenham still see Gil having a long-term future with them, so they clearly still believe that he could prove to be an inspired signing. Interestingly however, it would appear that Sevilla may be over the moon with the deal they did in the summer.

Castles has remarkably claimed that Gil was on the way out of Sevilla for just £5 million and headed for Italy – until Monchi received a call from Fabio Paratici.

“I’m told that Gil was about to be sold by Sevilla to a Serie A club for around €6 million,” he told The Transfer Window Podcast. “Then Paratici contacted their sports director, Monchi, asking them how much they would want for Gil.

“And Monchi, who is a very accomplished, experienced transfer market operator’s reply was not for less than €20 million will we sell him. Tottenham then made an offer which Monchi bargained up to €25 million plus Erik Lamela. Half a season later they’re loaning him back to Spain.”

Tottenham fans will be baffled if Sevilla were indeed close to selling Gil for just £5 million

Right now, it does appear that Tottenham have overpaid for Gil. Lamela had had a mixed time with Spurs. But his work-rate could rarely be questioned. And he has scored four league goals since moving to Sevilla.

So paying a £21 million fee and Lamela looks a huge gamble. If it is indeed true that Sevilla were close to selling Gil for just £5 million, Paratici has a lot to answer for.

In fairness, Gil was a Spain international by the time Tottenham came calling. And clearly, he has a lot of potential. So it would have been bizarre had Sevilla been about to sell for just £5 million.

But even if that figure is wide of the mark by some way, it looks safe to say that Tottenham have still paid so much more than Sevilla were initially looking for.

We'll have coaches and fitness staff advising him accordingly.

He's at a key age..... Yes a domerstic loan at a decent level with guaranteed minutes would likely have been preferable for all concerned, but it's important that he plays regardless and at least La Liga is a good standard of football.
I was disappointed that he was loaned away from the UK but tbh he if keeps pulling off this N'Dombele esq level of youtube clips I'm sure he'll back in no time. The guy clearly is very talented, just needs to put on at least a stone of muscle for the PL

I still don't believe we gave them all that money AND Lamela.
I'm sure we would have offset part of the £21m with Lamela.

We can't be both excessively tight and stupid with money at the same time. The only splurges we've had in years are GLC and TND. At the time 2 players who are/were full internationals with very big reputations. Not a barely known kid

I still don't believe we gave them all that money AND Lamela.
I'm sure we would have offset part of the £21m with Lamela.

We can't be both excessively tight and stupid with money at the same time. The only splurges we've had in years are GLC and TND. At the time 2 players who are/were full internationals with very big reputations. Not a barely known kid

We spent £30m on Sessegnon, of course we are dumb enough to spend £21m plus Lamela on Gil. We paid £25m for Emerson. £10m on Jack Clarke. We have no understanding of player valuations.

Those British journos never seem tired of inventing ridiculous stories about Spurs. I am not sure whether this Duncan Castle is so stupid that he believes this story to be true or if he's doing it just to mock Spurs.
He certainly does not know how the transfer market operates and in my eyes totally lost any credit.

Journalist says Gil nearly left for £5m before Tottenham made move

Duncan Castles has told The Transfer Window Podcast that Sevilla were ready to sell Bryan Gil to a Serie A club for just £5 million before Tottenham Hotspur got involved and eventually paid £21 million with Erik Lamela moving in the opposite direction.

Gil has returned to La Liga after a difficult start to life in North London. He did not make one start in the Premier League. And he has only been able to show glimpses of his potential, with a few minutes here and there.

The 20-year-old actually hit back at reports that he wanted to leave Tottenham at all costs. But he did still leave the club on loan in January. He will spend the rest of the season with Valencia.

‘Tottenham then made an offer’​

For some, the move to the Mestalla may not make a lot of sense. He has already proved himself in La Liga, doing enough to convince Spurs to sign him in the summer.

But Tottenham still see Gil having a long-term future with them, so they clearly still believe that he could prove to be an inspired signing. Interestingly however, it would appear that Sevilla may be over the moon with the deal they did in the summer.

Castles has remarkably claimed that Gil was on the way out of Sevilla for just £5 million and headed for Italy – until Monchi received a call from Fabio Paratici.

“I’m told that Gil was about to be sold by Sevilla to a Serie A club for around €6 million,” he told The Transfer Window Podcast. “Then Paratici contacted their sports director, Monchi, asking them how much they would want for Gil.

“And Monchi, who is a very accomplished, experienced transfer market operator’s reply was not for less than €20 million will we sell him. Tottenham then made an offer which Monchi bargained up to €25 million plus Erik Lamela. Half a season later they’re loaning him back to Spain.”

Tottenham fans will be baffled if Sevilla were indeed close to selling Gil for just £5 million

Right now, it does appear that Tottenham have overpaid for Gil. Lamela had had a mixed time with Spurs. But his work-rate could rarely be questioned. And he has scored four league goals since moving to Sevilla.

So paying a £21 million fee and Lamela looks a huge gamble. If it is indeed true that Sevilla were close to selling Gil for just £5 million, Paratici has a lot to answer for.

In fairness, Gil was a Spain international by the time Tottenham came calling. And clearly, he has a lot of potential. So it would have been bizarre had Sevilla been about to sell for just £5 million.

But even if that figure is wide of the mark by some way, it looks safe to say that Tottenham have still paid so much more than Sevilla were initially looking for.
Yeah, probably £5m with 50% sell on… like we just did with Edward’s…

We spent £30m on Sessegnon, of course we are dumb enough to spend £21m plus Lamela on Gil. We paid £25m for Emerson. £10m on Jack Clarke. We have no understanding of player valuations.

Sessegnon was a known quantity. He'd had full seasons of championship and premier league football under his belt and racked up impressive stats.
Clarke is basically a 3rd of what £21m + a Lamela is so not sure what the comparison is there.
I still maintain Royal is a good RB
We just don't need a good defensive RB.

Sessegnon cost £25 (including adds-on) and Josh Onomah went the other way for £10M. Sessegnon's development has been badly hit due to a string of injuries. If he can stay injury-free I believe he can turn into a good LWB under Conte. He's still only 21.
Lamela was very injury-prone and had played less than half of Spurs' games in his 7 1/2 season at Spurs. Once he started to find his form he was injured again; so he was ready to move on. Gil was and still is, is seen as a very promising LW. Do you really want to write him off after just 5 months at Spurs?
Jack Clarke, yes, that was £10M wasted. Spurs will be lucky if they get £2-3M if they sold him.

Yeah, probably £5m with 50% sell on… like we just did with Edward’s…
My point was: there was no way his price went from £5M to £21M just because Spurs wanted him. £21 for a talent like that is the going price and there is no way a Spanish international left-footed attacker for just only £5M. Levy may be daft when it comes to transfers at times but not that daft: they would have known about his price

Bryan Gil was a big signing just six months ago, did you agree to loan him out because you felt he wasn't physically ready for regular Premier League minutes?
You know that I like to tell the truth and for sure we’re talking about a really good player in Gil, because he has good quality and he understands football quickly.
In this moment, for sure this league is very tough. This league is different. If you compare this league with other leagues, you play another sport here.
For this reason when you go to sign a new player, you have to consider many aspects. Not only one aspect, if he shoots well or makes an assist, you have to consider a lot of situations because this league is very difficult.
You can be good with quality. You can be a creative player, but at the same time you have to be strong physically. You have to run a lot, to be resilient.
The impact of this league is not simple. It's not simple. For this reason, the market, before signing a player, you have to check many aspects and not going on emotional things.

This is very important and I hope I transferred my thoughts to my club because I repeat, I have my vision. I'm here to try to help my club to improve.
In my experiences in the past, I have built good structure, good teams that have lasted over time. Also without me, also without me.
It means maybe if I tell something and have a vision, I see the situation. Here we need to build, we need to build a good structure and create a good foundation.
It will be very important to not make mistakes in the future, because in this moment many teams are higher than us and for this reason, to catch up with them, we have to reduce the mistakes. We have to reduce them, have a vision and follow this line.

Sessegnon cost £25 (including adds-on) and Josh Onomah went the other way for £10M. Sessegnon's development has been badly hit due to a string of injuries. If he can stay injury-free I believe he can turn into a good LWB under Conte. He's still only 21.
Lamela was very injury-prone and had played less than half of Spurs' games in his 7 1/2 season at Spurs. Once he started to find his form he was injured again; so he was ready to move on. Gil was and still is, is seen as a very promising LW. Do you really want to write him off after just 5 months at Spurs?
Jack Clarke, yes, that was £10M wasted. Spurs will be lucky if they get £2-3M if they sold him.

IIRC, the Sess deal was valued at approx. £28m in total.

25m with Josh factored in at about £3m........

Bryan Gil was a big signing just six months ago, did you agree to loan him out because you felt he wasn't physically ready for regular Premier League minutes?
You know that I like to tell the truth and for sure we’re talking about a really good player in Gil, because he has good quality and he understands football quickly.
In this moment, for sure this league is very tough. This league is different. If you compare this league with other leagues, you play another sport here.
For this reason when you go to sign a new player, you have to consider many aspects. Not only one aspect, if he shoots well or makes an assist, you have to consider a lot of situations because this league is very difficult.
You can be good with quality. You can be a creative player, but at the same time you have to be strong physically. You have to run a lot, to be resilient.
The impact of this league is not simple. It's not simple. For this reason, the market, before signing a player, you have to check many aspects and not going on emotional things.

This is very important and I hope I transferred my thoughts to my club because I repeat, I have my vision. I'm here to try to help my club to improve.
In my experiences in the past, I have built good structure, good teams that have lasted over time. Also without me, also without me.
It means maybe if I tell something and have a vision, I see the situation. Here we need to build, we need to build a good structure and create a good foundation.
It will be very important to not make mistakes in the future, because in this moment many teams are higher than us and for this reason, to catch up with them, we have to reduce the mistakes. We have to reduce them, have a vision and follow this line.
Is this a Conte quote?

Seems fairly brutal on the kid to basically call him a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom