Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur (07/03/20) (5.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Acknowledging that sport is different than typical work situations, I'd ask you how would you like it if your employer or direct superior did this to you? Of course these players are millionaires so they aren't human anymore but I'd still like your opinion of how you'd feel with you friends and family there to see you degraded and embarrassed.

Did that put it into perspective for you? There are other ways to deal with humans/men/players but Jose is not like that. Perhaps that is why many say his time has past.
Who are the many saying he’s past it? The players? They seem to love him and reports suggest a togetherness in the camp.

He was played in a back 3 when we were at our peak. Dier was a first-team player back in 16/17. Sammy is correct on that one.
We were not always in a back 3 that season, 16-17, and Dier was moved around from CB3, to CB2, to DM. And no one was denying that. We were talking about Dier as DM and being integral to us. Hence my statement:

Dier was only the 1st choice DM in the Leicester year.

My point was that in 16-17 he was no longer our starting DM thus not integral as Sammy was trying to push. He was 3rd choice CB and 2nd choice DM. He was still important.

If your still keeping score I think that makes me right on this one and Sammy not.

Wonder how many slagging off N'dombele off were also writing lo celso off.

I think N'dombele has been largely shit and there is clearly an issue with his fitness /attitude but we have a clearly very talented player here just look at Norwich away for example and his struggling in a season when nearly every single player is shit.

Dele did an interview saying things got heated and I'm sure they did but dele has been just as poor. In fact moura , lo celso and tanganga are the only players to enhance their reputation this season so yes I have a real issue with singling out a young man in his first season in a foreign country with a club that let's be honest is a shambles.

The interview was poisonous, utterly toxic and he knew full well what he was doing. In that first half you could have said that about any player. Hell in the previous games you could. This has successfully deflected from the fact that he doesnt know how to get a tune out of this squad. He came in with a plan to use harry as a battering ram and since the moment he got injured jose hasn't had a scooby beyond 10 men behind the ball.

Its not even about son. Let's put another myth to bed. He keeps saying he has no strikers but when son was fit he was still playing moura through the middle. It was only against villa did son go down the middle. And he was happy enough in January with it

The players aren't responding to his tactics. He clearly is trying to emulate athletico Madrid as 442 seems to be the new rage - I saw Marseille under avb playing it last night too and they fucked up . He doesnt know what to do. Both his ideas havent worked through bad luck and bad coaching and now his throwing shit against the wall to see what works as he tries to talk and talk to deflect from the fact that right now his shit at his job.

I really hoped this afternoon was a wake up call to him and the team. If they get players in attacking positions and be aggressive on the ball as well as off we can do good things but then he calls out a player just to deflect from being tactically out witted by Sean dyche and I'm back feeling like this isnt the tottenham I know and love.

He did get it wrong tactically first half, and had the idea to change it. Doesn’t take away the fact Ndombele was awful, and didn’t deserve to be out there.

If Poch was still here the formation and personnel would have stayed the same until the 87th minute.
Poch changed formations 2 or 3 times in a single half of football!!! Let's not make shit up.

We were not always in a back 3 that season, 16-17, and Dier was moved around from CB3, to CB2, to DM. And no one was denying that. We were talking about Dier as DM and being integral to us. Hence my statement:

My point was that in 16-17 he was no longer our starting DM thus not integral as Sammy was trying to push. He was 3rd choice CB and 2nd choice DM. He was still important.

If your still keeping score I think that makes me right on this one and Sammy not.
He was a starting player though, and he played his fair share of games as a DM. Also, saying that a starting defensive player wasn't integral in the season when we had the best defensive record in the League is a bit bizarre. Dier has always been the unsung hero in 16/17 (Jan as well). There's a reason why we looked so good with him and nowhere near as good with Wimmer on the lineup.

If I was payed £200k a week to play a sport watched by millions of people I would be working my fucking arse off. If I was not putting the effort in that was required of me I would be ashamed of myself and would completely understand being called out on it in public.
People say this but I have my doubts. It sounds great on a forum but throughout all of football you don't see many enjoying being called out publicly do you? In fact, it's so unusual you don't see many coaches doing it. Wonder why that is?

I'll hold my hand up and say there is no way I would take it from a man that never played. Jose has no frame of reference of what these players go through. Zidane one of the best ever...do you see him do it? Pep? Klopp? Wonder why?

There may be other ways of dealing with things, but we don't know what has been tried already and we also don't know what goes on behind the scenes well enough to know how different people react to stuff. Some people respond better to the carrot, some to the stick.
No one likes to be publicly embarrassed. both the carrot and the stick can occur behind closed doors. Only cowards do it publicly.

You'd have to ask Jose that, but my best guess is that the other players were at least working hard whereas Ndombele didn't appear to be.
If there is a competition for the worst performance then that honour is handed to Toby. Who was a fucking liability today, by far and away his worst performance in a Spurs shirt and by a country mile the worst player on the park.

Yet, it's Ndombele that everyone is talking about. The reason is not to do with his performance, because it was like everyone else, its because Jose has spoken.

Aaaaaaand then Leipzig away on Tuesday.

giphy.gif
If we play that final adjusted team, minus Sanchez, we could could take that game.

He was a starting player though, and he played his fair share of games as a DM. Also, saying that a starting defensive player wasn't integral in the season when we had the best defensive record in the League is a bit bizarre. Dier has always been the unsung hero in 16/17 (Jan as well). There's a reason why we looked so good with him and nowhere near as good with Wimmer on the lineup.
You love Dier. got it. But if we are going to rank players from that season he would be way down the list; Dembele, Wanyama, kane, Walker, Rose...not even going to do it. He come almost last from the starting XI...so much so that Sanches was then brought in to take that CM3 position from him the next year. Your argument's got a lot of holes in it. Guy's great in your eyes yet in 2 successive years he gets recruited on top of and supplanted in the XI. Think about that.

But again, not the point FFS. Integral as a DM and he absolutely was not. He was 2nd choice behind Wanyama and we had Dembele killing it...after his remaining suspension. but if you need Dier to be seen as great then awesome. Dier was the key to all our success under Poch and he is still our unsung hero. Long may his time with us continue. But he wasn't integral to us as a DM in our best year.

You love Dier. got it. But if we are going to rank players from that season he would be way down the list; Dembele, Wanyama, kane, Walker, Rose...not even going to do it. He come almost last from the starting XI...so much so that Sanches was then brought in to take that CM3 position from him the next year. Your argument's got a lot of holes in it. Guy's great in your eyes yet in 2 successive years he gets recruited on top of and supplanted in the XI. Think about that.

But again, not the point FFS. Integral as a DM and he absolutely was not. He was 2nd choice behind Wanyama and we had Dembele killing it...after his remaining suspension. but if you need Dier to be seen as great then awesome. Dier was the key to all our success under Poch and he is still our unsung hero. Long may his time with us continue. But he wasn't integral to us as a DM in our best year.
If my memory serves me correctly as soon as wanyama joined Dier lost his starting place?

What? I've been very critical of him this year. I just can't say that he wasn't very good that year, and the same goes for someone like Danny Rose. Check my Dier posts, and you can see how many times I've called him out...

If there is a competition for the worst performance then that honour is handed to Toby. Who was a fucking liability today, by far and away his worst performance in a Spurs shirt and by a country mile the worst player on the park.

Yet, it's Ndombele that everyone is talking about. The reason is not to do with his performance, because it was like everyone else, its because Jose has spoken.
As poor as he was, I thought Sanchez was shocking, especially in the 2nd half. Really worried about this kid's lack of progression. And fucking Lloris - seems like we take it in turns to make an individual fuck up every week. Who's next against Leipzig I wonder..?

If my memory serves me correctly as soon as wanyama joined Dier lost his starting place?
He started the first game or whatever because Dembele was suspended from the Chelsea game. But for all intents and purposes he lost his spot because he was not good enough going forward (timewise) though was very useful previously. And his positional versatility was useful as well. But the problem was he was never good enough in any one position to be an unquestioned started. Hopefully he can make that CB now.

Back
Top Bottom