Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's no way on earth he's worth almost £40m
But if we can do a deal at £20-£25m we totally should. Better and less risk than looking elsewhere, paying that or more for an unknown quantity.

That newspaper (Correio da Manhã) is notoriously unreliable when it comes to football transfers, better ignore it if they're the source.
Having said that, they're probably not wrong this time.
As soon as I posted this I remembered one of their great "exclusives", back in December 2009 😂

Gareth Bale (you may have heard about this guy), Pavlyuchenko and Zoran Tosic (Man. Utd.) were on their way to Sporting Lisbon on loan. Deals were done and dusted, 100% confirmed, players would be arriving in Lisbon within a few days!

Nothing happened 🤷‍♂️

Why not he is a good finisher, his movement is decent as well in and around the box. His play deeper isn’t brilliant but then again we have become very spoilt with Kane who is a different level.

He is already on 10 goals for us anyway and because of Kane we hardly use him.

To me I haven't seen much to indicate that he is at the PL level. He has been fine in the lower level games in the EL but I wouldn't be comfortable if Kane was out for a few weeks having him fill in.

Also, there aren't really a lot of guys that score 15 goals in a PL season so that would put him in the top half of strikers in the league and I don't see him close to that level.

To me I haven't seen much to indicate that he is at the PL level. He has been fine in the lower level games in the EL but I wouldn't be comfortable if Kane was out for a few weeks having him fill in.

Also, there aren't really a lot of guys that score 15 goals in a PL season so that would put him in the top half of strikers in the league and I don't see him close to that level.

Fair enough, I think he can do it and your more skeptical. We will have to see when he gets a good run of games but that ain’t gonna happen till Kane gets injured and that is never a good thing.

I am so tired of them overspending on mediocre talent that is not good enough to start.

20-25m should get you a hell of a lot more than a guy you hope doesn't see a minute of PL time and is not good enough to fill in for Kane if injured.

At least if he brought some other than just being a striker maybe you could rationalize it but there are way better uses for that money than to waste it on Vinicius.
It's not 1995 anymore. 20-25m is the price for a back up striker.

It's not 1995 anymore. 20-25m is the price for a back up striker.

But with that money you usually can at least get a guy that is at least one of: younger, could also play out wide or is HG. With Vinicius having none of those things it is a lot to pay for not much.

To be fair, I'm not sure we can give a good assessment of any attacker this season because of Mou and his fucked up way of setting up our squad.

To be fair, I'm not sure we can give a good assessment of any attacker this season because of Mou and his fucked up way of setting up our squad.

I think that Vinicius certainly hasn't be used correctly, and have said here there really is no reason that Kane should have seen a minute of EL time this year, outside of bringing him on when we were tied with Zagreb.

But I also think that we know for the most part what we have with Vinicius. He is a 25 year old striker only player. That is not going to change. He isn't able to play anything other than striker, he isn't likely to take any big steps forward in development at his age or gain new skills that he hasn't shown yet.

I don't think he is a terrible option as a squad player for us, although I would like a better option to replace Kane in the PL if he went down. I just think for the money that people are talking about we can get more out of a player for that money than what Vinicius offers.

But with that money you usually can at least get a guy that is at least one of: younger, could also play out wide or is HG. With Vinicius having none of those things it is a lot to pay for not much.
Younger? He's 26 that's fine we need players for now not to develop in 3 or 4 years - we have Parrott and Scarlett.
Play out wide: How many proper number 9's can play out wide? Answer: not many. If you do find someone who can they are likely in the Rashford and Martial role and guess what? They will cost an awful lot more than 20m
HG: Yes he's not HG but tell me where are these home grown strikers available for 20m who have scored goals for a club of Spurs stature this season. (Once again they would be way more than 20m) If you can't name potential options then it's just talk.

Also, none of this considers the elephant in the room that the player has to be happy to play second fiddle to Kane, Vinicius has proven he can do this and we have no reason to believe he causes any issues behind the scenes.

My stance is just do a loan deal for another year so we can avoid the outlay (unless 15m does the job) and spend money on other areas.

We should go for another loan with a more sensible option to buy. I would not be comfortable paying any more than £10m for him in the current circumstances. What precious little money we have needs to be directed towards central defence and central midfield, no point spending it on a position where we already have the best player in the world.

Younger? He's 26 that's fine we need players for now not to develop in 3 or 4 years - we have Parrott and Scarlett.
Play out wide: How many proper number 9's can play out wide? Answer: not many. If you do find someone who can they are likely in the Rashford and Martial role and guess what? They will cost an awful lot more than 20m
HG: Yes he's not HG but tell me where are these home grown strikers available for 20m who have scored goals for a club of Spurs stature this season. (Once again they would be way more than 20m) If you can't name potential options then it's just talk.

Also, none of this considers the elephant in the room that the player has to be happy to play second fiddle to Kane, Vinicius has proven he can do this and we have no reason to believe he causes any issues behind the scenes.

My stance is just do a loan deal for another year so we can avoid the outlay (unless 15m does the job) and spend money on other areas.

If all they are going to be is back-ups like Vinicius then yes they certainly can and should be younger.

I am not sure why we have to limit ourselves to a "proper" number 9. There are a lot of guys who can play in the striker role that can also play out wide as well and they don't all cost Rashford level money.

Why do they have to have scored for a Spurs stature club this year? Watkins have never scored for a Spurs stature club but he would be a better option than Vinicius. Wilson has never scored for a Spurs level club but again another HG player that is better than Vinicius.

I can name potential options and have. I didn't say they have to fill all the requirements of young, cheap, HG and positionally flexible but they should at least have one of those attributes that is not too much to ask.

I guess this game puts his case to bed.

9 out of 10 times ball just bounced off him. And 2 times he had chance to impact game, once he was hopelessly offside and 2nd time did not manage to get to ball before Newcastle defender (later ruled out for Kane offside, but at the moment, he was not aware of it).

And this performance came on the back of starting last EPL game.. against one of the worst EPL sides.

Proving you can score against 4th and 5th in Austrian league and again Bulgarian champion does not prove you have what it takes to make it in EPL.

Fully agreed with Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman - rather let Scarlett have a go then to pay significant money for medicore foreigner who is already in prime footballers age...

Back
Top Bottom