Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

City are gonna murder us . It’s going to be as close to rape as you will ever see. Only thing in me comfort is Barcelona will knock Utd and Liverpool out.
Barcelona v city final
Comparing a football tie to rape is fucking crass. You hatefull weirdo please fuck of out of here. you're a obviously just a wind up sick fuck with a history of posting racist shit just fuck off..

Long-time lurker here making a first post...

Some of the last few posts about the game in Amsterdam talked about the “generational” nature of their experience on Wednesday night, and this season’s UCL campaign in general. I’ve been getting my dad (aged 76, responsible for us all supporting Spurs after he caught a couple of matches on an 18th birthday adventure to London...in April 1961) and one sometimes both of my brothers round to mine to watch these UCL games. While letting my 4 year old son sit up and watch the first half in his number 10 Spurs shirt.

For the Ajax away game, I sent the little fella off to bed at half time (in his jersey!) with a “they’ve done great to reach the semi-finals, don’t be sad, they’ll be back in it next year” chat. My Dad and my older brother couldn’t make it till half time, and arrived saying pity the tie looked over. Ah well, last time we’d been in a European Cup semi-final, my Dad had still been a teenager, and our last semi-final in European competition my younger brother (watching on a dodgy stream on holiday in Greece had been four years old).

And then.

It was magical the three of us jumping round like maniacs about 50 minutes later. Then going through the whole emotion again with my son when he woke up on Thursday morning.

Needless to say, the Spurs bug has well and truly been passed on to the next generation.

image.png.6861693bbb34b83509e4a85275b447ea.png

Four times in the CL and three of the draws have been pretty brutal, only once have we had an easy group and we did poorly that year. What I love is how we relish playing the best teams. The likes of Woolwich when they were in it were always desperate to avoid the biggest teams because they feared them. We on the other hand are fearless. It's what comes of wanting, and waiting, to be in the competition for so long. Once you make it you are just going to go for it.

Dr Rocktopus Dr Rocktopus says it all very well. In the 90s I remember going round my mates houses in the week to watch the big clubs like Utd, Liverpool, Woolwich, and even Newcastle play these big teams in the CL and it was so frustrating not being anywhere near it.

We're in it playing some of the best teams again and we have the talent to win every match up. We have one or two players who would walk into even Barca's team so we have every chance of showing them up.

For one of my my 50th birthday treats, I went to Barcelona with a couple of girl friends. They are not into football, but they agreed to do the stadium tour with me. There was a mock up photo opportunity with Ronaldinho and they were getting the stadium ready for a CL game against Chelsea. As I took it all in, I so wanted to play Barca in the CL. It has taken 12 years for that wish to come to fruition and wild horses won't keep me away. Flights and hotel booked. Even if I don't get into the ground, it will be brilliant to be in whatever square our supporters will be meeting and I've always wanted to go back there.

I do actually think playing them 3 times in 11 days will help us! They’ll be cagey enough and it gives us time to figure them out.

Let’s not forget palace, Leicester, Newcastle and Chelsea have all beaten them.
Knowing us we'll fuck up the cl and win in the league to hand liverpool the title...

Woolwich, Chelsea and Sevilla out of CL puts us at 16 and in pot 2. Then we have to see what Basel, Benefica and Zenit do, which could bump us up even further. Honestly, more would have to go wrong than right for us not to be in pot 2.

So pot 3 then, eh?

:eriksenserious:

Athletico Madrid winning Europa League is good news.

Now we need one of the following 3 things to happen to guarantee Spurs being in Pot 2 :

1. Real Madrid beating Liverpool to win CL
2. Basle to be knocked out of CL qualifying rounds before getting to group stages
3. Benfica to be knocked out of CL qualifying rounds before getting to group stages
My money is on 1.
Let’s not fuck about Real Madrid. Just get the job done to make this a hugely satisfying season & give us the entertainment of an apocalyptic RAWK meltdown
You know it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom