Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur (A) Sat., 22.2.2020 (12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let me be clear about my position.

Yes losing our two strikers is huge. Yes our squad is in desperate need of another forward. And yes that's on Enic.

But

If we had brought say William.jose in jan he would have been up there on his own today looking just as lost as berjiwijn.

It's not that we lost but the way we lost. It was as defensive as I've ever seen a spurs team play. 451. He had our best playmaker out on the wing and allowed them to totally outnumber us in midfield.

We sat so deep it made it easy for them and he totally failed to react. Then you look at creative players and they look awful as they're outnumbered with no support or options around them.

Tuesday was just as bad. Leipzig are a good side but he approached it like it was Barnsley against Pepsi Barcelona. Embarrassing.

This reminds me of watching Graham's Tottenham. Its negative dire football with people clinging on to the hope that the manager was once successful despite what your eyes are telling you.

Fuck watching this week in and week out.

I don’t think any blame lays with Mourinho. This is the first time he’s taken a job mid season, and he’s lost his 2 top scorers.

We are let down by an owner not willing to buy an actual striker. They are too reactive and not proactive.

Thing is, most of our recent form suggests we'd be more or less as bad with Kane, as we are barely getting into the final third with anything but a bobbling ball bouncing off knees...

Our team is fucked ATM and looks like they are not fully sure what is expected of them, sigh.

What are you fucking talking about? Up until the last seven days we’d been on our best run of results for a year. Just won three games on the spin for the first time in 18 months. With Sissoko we didn’t win an away game for a fucking calendar year.

Why do you think Pochettino ended up getting the fucking sack? The primary reason was because our midfield had disappeared.
Our midfield is toilet
Do you not want to improve it in the summer?

Levy is getting the blame for this loss because he signed NDombele in what? June? July? Signed Lo Celso, Gedson and Bergwijn. Sessegnon, Clarke... Greedy barsteward! #levyout!

He will be in the headlines obviously for the VAR incident, but I have seen enough of GLC to think Mourinho needs to build his midfield around him.
Good passer and can put his foot in, noticeable today on a few occasions he was in possession and he was getting frustrated with too few players making forward runs.
GLC, a fit Ndombele and a bona fide DM is what Mourinho should be looking at.

No one got a striker of any note in January, the problem was not addressing it in the summer, not January. If any of you wanted to actually splash like 50m to watch Willian Jose try to shin his way to 5 goals, then I'm not sure how to make you happy.

Whole team need a revamp it's still mostly left overs from the Poch era.

Many of these players have lost cup after cup, lost against one top team after another.

I'm sorry to say they've probably been mentally damaged and the loser mentality has set in.

Why the fuck would I be delighted at watching this utter DROSS!?! Seeing us get outplayed every fucking game!

Fucking fuming! With this cowardice approach to football matches.

Mate you honestly know nothing about football. I bet when we were getting stomped 3-0 but playing the shitty awful spursy way under Poch you were wanking off at the idea of a “noble loss”

Well the spursy way is shit. The problem this season is we have absolutely terrible players that are so ingrained in a culture of being shit and cowardly under Poch it’s hard to get it out of them. Our players are terrible every single one of them.

For a team based around counter-attacking, too slow - probably tired from Wednesday. I'm not sure - but there are clearly a lot of ex-elite athletes on here who can explain how recovery works?

In seriousness, clearly shattered runners and the change in system made it difficult as we were trying to break through midfield, which wasn't working as N'Dombele didn't try to impose himself / couldn't. We had - effectively - 3 MFs trying to play dainty triangles into the Chelsea box, which made us too compact and easy to press. Japhet was out of his comfort zone against the master of being a shit-cunt (Alonso); Verts was struggling for pace but couldn't be taken off because he would have literally wept his soul had he done so and Jose would be had for manslaughter.

It just looks like a team short of options and becoming too reliant on one or two players. Remember that we were 'just' getting the hang of doing something without Kane before Son got injured. It all takes time - lots of players bedding into Prem..

Shit day - but we barely ever win there so...you know...please play nice.

We simply don’t have the players to compete properly in this type of game. We have no strikers, Ndombele can barely move, Lamela can’t play more than 30 minutes, our defensive players are mostly clapped out or mad, our only powerful and imposing midfielder is injured, Lucas and Bergwijn are dead on their feet and we just sold our only proven playmaker to Inter. The only other options are kids like Sessegnon, Gedson and Skipp. Our squad right now is a total mess.

We were always going to struggle in this game so I don’t know why anyone is surprised that we did. It was going to be tough to create chances. What shouldn’t be that tough is to avoid conceding a goal from a throw in when you have 5 defenders.

Back
Top Bottom