Chelsea VS Tottenham Hotspur. Sunday the 14th of August 2022, 16:30PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If I was associated with Chelsea ⁠— the reigning club world champions, remember ⁠— I would treat these predictions of a London power shift with a sneer. The “new” Spurs have not done anything yet, despite the hype this summer, and it speaks volumes of their struggles in recent seasons that their current aspirations are essentially to return to where they were under Mauricio Pochettino.

I really really want us to give that wolfing great cunt Carragher a smack in the mouth by bulldozing these plastic turds on Sunday.
Yeah the filthy mouthed cunt

He a two bob cunt. Behaving as he did in front of a child. Needed his face put thru.

2 or 3 geezers in that car and he goes sheepy.

and the cos it goes public he acts all apologetic, fuck him. Media still using him is a disgrace.

and that’s fuck all to do with his slant on us. He is just a Mincey little cunt.

He a two bob cunt. Behaving as he did in front of a child. Needed his face put thru.

2 or 3 geezers in that car and he goes sheepy.

and the cos it goes public he acts all apologetic, fuck him. Media still using him is a disgrace.

and that’s fuck all to do with his slant on us. He is just a Mincey little cunt.

Fill me in here, who are you talking about and what did he do?

We all know we have a poor record against this lot for some reason but that is shocking.
1 goal in the last 7 games? Simply has to end.

This is why I’m very cautious when predicting us going there and turning them over like a lot of fans on here are doing. We always end up with egg on our face. Can we win? No doubt. We have the players and quality. Will we win? Unfortunately I don’t think we will. Our record there is absolutely embarrassing and Chelsea always find a way against us. Couldn’t careless how poor they looked v Everton or unfit they are, Chelsea will as per usual turn into prime Barcelona come Sunday. I would 100% take a draw Sunday and move on. Hate this fixture.

Last edited:
Fill me in here, who are you talking about and what did he do?
Carra was in his car. Another fella, manc, I think said something to him from his car. It was soft banter. no swearing, just soft banter.

The other fella had his girl in the car with him, maybe 14 or so.

carra went mad opened his car window and big time spat at the fella. Shouted a bit and drove off. Cunt needed his fucking lights put out.

front page and main news item that night.

Geezer is a two bob bully cunt.

"he spat on me"

"ooh"

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Carra was in his car. Another fella, manc, I think said something to him from his car. It was soft banter. no swearing, just soft banter.

The other fella had his girl in the car with him, maybe 14 or so.

carra went mad opened his car window and big time spat at the fella. Shouted a bit and drove off. Cunt needed his fucking lights put out.

front page and main news item that night.

Geezer is a two bob bully cunt.
That is vile and the most cowardly thing any man could do. I'd rather be punched in the face than someone spitting in my face. It takes a special type of prick to do that.

This is why I’m very cautious when predicting us going there and turning them over like a lot of fans on here are doing. We always end up with egg on our face. Can we win? No doubt. We have the players and quality. Will we win? Unfortunately I don’t think we will. Our record there is absolutely embarrassing and Chelsea always find a way against us. Couldn’t careless how poor they looked v Everton or unfit they are, Chelsea will as per usual turn into prime Barcelona come Sunday. I would 100% take a draw Sunday and move on. Hate this fixture.

It’s our current shoulda, woulda, coulda fixture.

My main hope is that Conte has instilled more of his own personality in the team now and has faith in them to execute his game plan.

Our record against them at their place is ok if you compare it to our Anfield winless run of 73 years. 73 YEARS!!!!

Let’s look at the positives!!

Since 1957 we have beaten them 10x in the league at their place.
Once this actual century and that was in the last 5 years.
That’s good form all things considered!!!

borat-very.gif

Perfectly sums up how I feel. Have gotten over excited by the fixture and bitten on the arse too many times. They ‘always’ turn up for this game - their ‘NLD’ equivalent

If I was associated with Chelsea ⁠— the reigning club world champions, remember ⁠— I would treat these predictions of a London power shift with a sneer. The “new” Spurs have not done anything yet, despite the hype this summer, and it speaks volumes of their struggles in recent seasons that their current aspirations are essentially to return to where they were under Mauricio Pochettino.

I really really want us to give that wolfing great cunt Carragher a smack in the mouth
by bulldozing these plastic turds on Sunday.
Just make sure you drive along with your windows up, in that case. You never know when you might bump into him.

Anyone got the Athletic article on Conte and our last few games?
This one? If so, enjoy.

It’s something he has been desperate to make amends for ever since. In March, after a 3-1 win over West Ham, he was asked whether he was relishing the chance to put pressure on Woolwich. Conte quickly dealt with that and, unprompted, moved on to his old club Chelsea and how he would love to have a crack at them.

“Two months ago, we played against Chelsea three times and we lost three games, but it was right to lose because Chelsea were better than us in every aspect,” Conte said. “I would like to have another chance to see which is our level. Our level has improved a lot and now I’m sure Chelsea would have to fight much more to win the game.”

Another five months on, with the teams meeting once again on Sunday, Conte finally has the chance to make amends when he knows his team are almost unrecognisable from the one that was beaten in January.

The general mood music is that Chelsea are the team sorting themselves out after a complicated summer, whereas Spurs will arrive at Stamford Bridge confident and raring to go. Some around the club believe that, as with Spurs’ 1-0 win over Manchester City on the opening weekend of last season, this could be a good time to play Chelsea.

Not that there’s been even the remotest sense of complacency at Hotspur Way. Before the Southampton game, Conte said he believed Chelsea’s demise had been greatly exaggerated.

But there is still confidence in how much Spurs have improved in the last seven months, an unmistakable feeling of positivity and a sense that the inferiority complex from January has gone.

This is a look at what has changed since one of the most dispiriting periods of the Conte era.

The teams that Conte put out for the three Chelsea fixtures in January already feel like they belong to the distant past.

The first game included only six players who are expected to start on Sunday (and bear in mind that Sunday’s bench will also include another six new signings that arrived in the summer). Incidentally, the four players that came off the bench on January 5 are all expected to leave Spurs this month.

Tottenham team vs Chelsea, Carabao Cup semi-final first leg, January 5, 2022: Lloris; Tanganga, Sanchez, Davies; Royal, Hojbjerg, Skipp (Winks 73), Doherty (Ndombele 45); Moura (Lo Celso 79), Kane, Son (Gil 79).

Given how much stronger Spurs will be on Sunday, Conte can feel justified in his claims that night of the chasm that existed between his team and the then-European champions.

“Everyone has to have patience because, I repeat, Tottenham in the last few years, the level has dropped a lot,” Conte said.

Conte could also curse the sloppiness and misfortune of the two goals. The first came after a loose pass from Japhet Tanganga, the second when he headed the ball onto Ben Davies for a comical own goal. Not that they ever looked like getting back into the game — a miserable night was compounded when a late Son Heung-min injury saw him join Eric Dier, Sergio Reguilon and Cristian Romero on the treatment table.

A week later, only four of this Sunday’s expected starters were named in the second-leg starting XI:

Tottenham team vs Chelsea, Carabao Cup semi-final second leg, January 12, 2022: Gollini; Tanganga, Sanchez, Davies; Royal, Hojbjerg, Winks (Skipp 81), Lo Celso (Gil 71), Doherty (Sessegnon 65); Moura, Kane.

On this occasion, most of the ire was towards Conte rather than coming from him, as supporters raged at the decision to start Pierluigi Gollini. The head coach was accused of hoisting the white flag, and the fans’ anger only intensified when Gollini flapped at a corner in the 18th minute to gift a goal to Chelsea’s Antonio Rudiger.

On paper, the Spurs team that night was pretty wretched compared to Chelsea’s, and there was a case to be made that all nine of Thomas Tuchel’s substitutes (Marcus Bettinelli, Marcos Alonso, Thiago Silva, N’Golo Kante, Christian Pulisic, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Saul Niguez, Hakim Ziyech and Kai Havertz) would have got into the Tottenham starting XI.

“We cannot compare Chelsea’s situation with Tottenham’s situation,” Conte said afterwards. “It’s not fair to compare. It’s impossible to compare.”

It was similarly hard to compare the two teams when they met for a third time that month. Chelsea again ran out as comfortable winners and the bar was so low that even Spurs competing in the first half and having a Harry Kane goal disallowed felt like progress.

Their starting line-up that day included six players who will likely start on Sunday and is the only time under Conte that Spurs have begun a game with a back four:

Tottenham team vs Chelsea, Premier League, January 23, 2022: Lloris; Tanganga (Skipp 56), Dier, Sanchez, Davies; Doherty, Winks (Gil 89), Hojbjerg, Sessegnon (Moura 56); Bergwijn, Kane.

It was pretty threadbare stuff as Spurs, knackered by the 3-2 win at Leicester four days earlier, staggered into the winter break amid a growing injury list.

As with the 2-0 Carabao Cup defeat, both goals were avoidable.

For the first, an overload on the Chelsea right forced Ryan Sessegnon to take a step toward Cesar Azpilicueta, opening up the space for Hakim Ziyech to score spectacularly with his favoured left foot.

export-2022-08-10T143710.117.png

export-2022-08-10T143833.991.png

For the second, rather than trying to head the ball away from a free kick, Davinson Sanchez did this:

Screenshot-2022-03-14-at-15.38.20.png

Silva scored and that was game over. Sanchez, like the man who erred in the first game, Tanganga, will not start for Tottenham at the weekend.

After the match, Conte returned to a familiar theme and said the gap between Spurs and the “top teams is very large”.

Spurs ended the day seventh, 11 points behind Chelsea in third — though they did have four games in hand, so the gap wasn’t quite as big as it seemed.

By the end of the campaign, Spurs were in fourth, just one place and three points behind Chelsea. And going into Sunday’s game, there are many experts who believe Conte’s side will finish above their former club this season.

Since that meeting on January 23, both teams have picked up exactly two points per game in the Premier League, but when it comes to scoring and conceding, Spurs’ numbers have been better. They have scored 47 goals in 19 games (an average of 2.5 per game) and conceded 17 (0.9 per game). Chelsea, meanwhile, have scored 29 goals in 15 games (1.9 per game) and conceded 15 (1.0 per game).

So, what’s changed? How have Tottenham seemingly pulled themselves level with, or even overtaken, a team that in Conte’s eyes there was “not a comparison” with seven months ago?

The turmoil at Chelsea has contributed, but there are a few important factors to Spurs’ turnaround.

Perhaps most obviously, there is Spurs’ recruitment. It is extraordinary to think Tottenham have brought in eight first-team players since they last played Chelsea, all of whom should be in Sunday’s squad. The starting line-up will be boosted by Rodrigo Bentancur and Dejan Kulusevski (as well as the now-fit Son, Romero and Dier), and the options from the bench will also be far better.

conte-tottenham

Conte barks instructions during Tottenham’s defeat to Burnley in February (Photo: Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/Getty Images)
Across those three defeats in January, the 10 changes Conte made to try to rescue things were: Bryan Gil (three times), Tanguy Ndombele, Giovani Lo Celso, Harry Winks, Sessegnon, Oliver Skipp (twice) and Lucas Moura. Spurs are now trying to get rid of the majority of those players (three of them were loaned out later that month).

You can see why Conte said after the second game that: “If we lose one or two players from our first XI, we are in trouble.”

By contrast, on Sunday, Conte can bring on players of the calibre of Richarlison, Yves Bissouma and Ivan Perisic.

That is a monumental upgrade and shows how quickly Conte has been able to remould the Spurs squad — partly as a result of his public complaints that piled the pressure onto his superiors. In January, Conte had been told there wouldn’t be much money to spend, but Spurs still brought in Bentancur for £15.8million ($19.3m) and Kulusevski for an £8.3million loan fee, plus a permanent fee of £29.2million should certain targets be met.

Another thing that has changed since January is that those public complaints started having the desired effect on the players. Back then, and even into February when Spurs suffered consecutive defeats to Southampton and Wolverhampton Wanderers, dressing-room sources spoke of their concern for the obvious lack of confidence Spurs’ players were showing. And they questioned whether Conte’s frequent outbursts were helping.

The tirade after February’s 1-0 defeat at Burnley proved to be a turning point, however, as the Tottenham players realised they needed to share their head coach’s mentality or they risked losing him and with him, their best chance of success in years. They are now far more up to speed with his methods and demands.

And such has been Spurs’ good form since then that Conte has not needed to deploy that nuclear option again.

Following his first pre-season at the club, and with far more of his structures in place, Conte comes across as a picture of contentment (a stark contrast with the despairing Conte of January). He even talked last week about the benefits of a team having the same manager for a long period. “To have a coach for many years, you give continuity in the work together — the manager, the club and the players,” he said.

This felt like a striking departure from the previous iteration of Conte, who has lasted more than two years at the same place only once in his managerial career (at Juventus between 2011 and 2014).

The boom-and-bust two years at Chelsea have generally been held up as the Conte paradigm. That spell shaped perceptions of him, especially in England. Manchester United were partly put off appointing Conte because of his reputation for being difficult at Stamford Bridge. When United did their due diligence last October, the feedback from some at Chelsea was that if you found Mourinho difficult, Conte would be even harder work.

Conte, who left Chelsea on terrible terms after some explosive rows in 2018, may well have been talking about the club last week when, expanding on his point about staying somewhere for the long term, he said: “I don’t like people who say one thing to me at the start but after one or two years, they change the situation.

“I like honest people. If they have to tell me the bad truth, it has to be the truth, not a good lie. Because if you tell me a good lie, you don’t have a lot of life with me, because I hate lies and I hate liars.”

Having endured two tumultuous years at Chelsea, it’s unsurprising Conte thinks and speaks about them often. Like in March, when he talked about Spurs getting a chance to play them, or last week, when in response to a question about Manchester City and Liverpool, he instead started by saying: “But I think you forgot Chelsea. This is a big, big mistake.”

Conte has not forgotten about Chelsea — not his time there nor the hat-trick of defeats in January. But the mood at Spurs is far more harmonious now and the team has been transformed.

So much so that at a ground where Tottenham have won just once in their last 37 visits, a victory doesn’t seem that fanciful. And the gap between the two teams really doesn’t seem “very large”.

Back
Top Bottom