Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We surely must keep hold of Christian for the creativity and calmness he brings to our squad? I don't think there is another player in world football that we could realistically bring in that would do a better job at what he does, or even match it. Yes, I understand he disappears in games, but when you combine consistency with his ability, you go beyond what we can afford/bring in. I'm not sure top 4 would be possible without him due to him making every other player look better, do we really think Kane and Alli would have scored as many as they did without Eriksen? Let's be realistic, who would realistically come in to the club that would bring what Eriksen brings to the table?

He's the best we've got but not the best out there. To say if he combines consistency with ability is like Saying if Hugo adds Kane's goals we would have the perfect player – sure but until that happens we don't. Personally would like to see it like below. Know this is a can of worms but just how I see it...

£80k = Kane, Hugo, Toby & Lamella
£70k = Dembele, Verts, Christain
£60k = Dire, Dele (up to the next level if they have another decent season)
£50k = Walker, Vincent, Rose, Victor
£40k = Wimmer (up to the next level if they have another decent season)
£35 = Some of the other squad players

A lot of people need to chill.

1) We will never pay the wages of Chelsea, Man U & City, Woolwich, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern & PSG. Not until we have a New Stadium and at least a decade of trophy winning success most likely including a CL sitting in the cabinet.
2) Our wage structure is being addressed as we speak. We are negotiating new contracts with most of the first team taking our top performers to weekly salaries of £70-£100k pw. Some have agreed to this others are still negotiating, no worries here as they all have at least 2yrs still to run and plenty of time to get a deal done.
3) Last year everyone said it would be a massive challenge to keep the team together, well we have and not a single player is looking to leave (just more money being demanded), look at the comments of the players that are in fact negotiating new deals and EVERYONE of them is emphasising the will to stay at the club and talking up the future of the club, not sure I have ever heard such gushing appraisals from players about the future of the club, particularly from those actively negotiating new contracts.
4) With the exception of 3 key players (Koke, Greizieman & Godin) our wage bill is is higher than Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Inter Milan and on par with Roma and with the sale of Pogba within 10% of Juventus and AC Milan. This is taking into account NO increase on our players salaries currently being negotiated, so it is fair to say once negotiations are finalised our wage bill is likely to surpass Juve and nudging close to Liverpool's!!! Making us the 10th highest payers of wages in World football, for a Club that has won FUCK ALL in the last 20yrs that is amazing!! Especially when you look at the trophies won with the clubs above and around us!!!
5) Get a perspective!
6) Stop acting like there is a calamitous problem when there isn't one
7) Grow a pair of balls, buy a micro penis extender and start acting like confident fans. Starting to sound like Woolwich mania from some.
8) Eriksen is mustard and a key player in our squad. A salary in-line with our other top performers is what he should be on. I'm sure this is what is being offered.

Last edited:
There's simply no way that he's demanding that amount of money. He went to Ajax when he had offers from richer clubs and he went to us in a similar scenario. I'm sure he's demanding a bigger wage, and he deserves that, but £150k p/w is impossible and he knows that.

Also I just saw his agent has said they won't comment, and that they've never done that, but he refered to the £150k figure as 'funny internet rumours' and said Eriksen is 'happy' at Spurs.

I think Eriksen will want to leave sooner than later. Perhaps not now, but not too soon.

I don't think money is a part of it, though and I don't believe for a second, thathis agent of all would release a demand like that just the day before the season started, because they have negotiated since at least early 2016.

In other words it is media bullshit, timed to interfere with Spurs planning.

I think Eriksen will want to leave sooner than later. Perhaps not now, but not too soon.

I don't think money is a part of it, though and I don't believe for a second, thathis agent of all would release a demand like that just the day before the season started, because they have negotiated since at least early 2016.

In other words it is media bullshit, timed to interfere with Spurs planning.
Correct. The timing and shit stirring by shills in the media like Lyall Thomas and others is just to try and unsettle the club. They have to protect their previous Sky 4 especially now Maureen, Pep, Kloppo are the managerial darlings of the league.

Fuck them all. Obvious they see us as a threat and stay under the radar. Predictions by ex coke head and wino pundits - couldn't care less. I love this club and what we are doing. Others are jealous and hate it. Makes those pundits piss boil that we have some of the best players in the league and Europe.

Siege mentality is required and we are all the better for it.

Eriksen has no effective cover in the team hence he plays so much. Yes he deserves much more money but not out of all proportion to the other top performers. As stated elsewhere we do not know if the figure is accurate or just an Agent going over the top. He may well get that money elsewhere though. There is no way the club will agree £150k
We will continue to negotiate and look for a compromise (maybe a review in 2 years or performance incentives) If we get to the summer without a new contract then he will go and we will find it difficult to get a better or even a replacement at the same level. His performance dipped towards the end of the season and he is not scoring as many free kicks as previously.

Ok I'm sold break the bank and give him 120k but needs to be a 6 year deal, can't see any problems with that (not that I believe he's asking for so much anyway)

EXCLUSIVE: Eriksen 'happy' at Tottenham as contract talks continue

A statement by Eriksen's agent, regarding the made up rubbish first said yesterday by those 2 journalists and arse**l fans, John Cross (Mirror) and Matt Law (Telegraph) about Eriksen wanting £150k per week.
Martin Schoots: "The only thing that I can say is that if money were the most important thing, Christian would not have gone to Ajax at the first place. At the time, he was 16 we were in contact with clubs like Barcelona, Chelsea and AC Milan. If money were the most important thing, he wouldn't have joined Tottenham three years ago. He had interest from some of the richest clubs in the world but Tottenham were the only club he wanted to join, and he is happy. In the eight-and-a-half years that I have worked with Chris, we never made any comments on contract negotiations and we will not make any exception on this, not even confronted by some funny internet rumours."

One of the worst players on the pitch today, imo, along with Dele.

Not bothered how many "passes, key passes, tackles, shots, blinks, coughs and whatever other stat overload" he had, he looked poor, gave the ball away and didn't look dangerous other than 1 free kick.

One of the worst players on the pitch today, imo, along with Dele.

Not bothered how many "passes, key passes, tackles, shots, blinks, coughs and whatever other stat overload" he had, he looked poor, gave the ball away and didn't look dangerous other than 1 free kick.
Yet you use stats to back up your points when it suits.

Yet you use stats to back up your points when it suits.

I try to use relevant stats, that being key.

People in the match thread at HT were going on about how he's had a good game because he passed 30 times. If that was the case, Jan is the best play maker of all time, since his pass rate and pass accuracy beat almost everyone over a season...Or people saying how Eriksen made more tackles than anyone.

Cool, but he also gave the ball away more than anyone and contributed nothing in attack, which is his job. And he looked terrible at it.

People in the match thread at HT were going on about how he's had a good game because he passed 30 times. If that was the case, Jan is the best play maker of all time, since his pass rate and pass accuracy beat almost everyone over a season...Or people saying how Eriksen made more tackles than anyone.

Cool, but he also gave the ball away more than anyone and contributed nothing in attack, which is his job. And he looked terrible at it.
Assists, goals and key passes are very relevant stats for Eriksen's position. He places right up there with Europe's best.

Ok, I'm not defending him today. I'm just saying that stats can be extremely misleading at times.

It probably didn't help with half our fans calling him a greedy cunt and telling him to fuck off.

And don't say he wasn't aware of it because his agent felt the need to come out and deny the wage demand rumour.

We do need to to sort out his contract as soon as possible - this much seems obvious.

Back
Top Bottom