Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Of course I would and as a Consultant that offers services that are in demand I always want to earn as much as I can. But then I show a bit of loyalty to my clients and haven't ever broken a contract and while they want me to stay to deliver Projects I was brought in to deliver or new ones I might pick up, I stay with them.

But it's not the players that are causing the problem is it, its clubs like City, Chelsea etc that have warped market. Even clubs like West Ham signing any old shite and offering big wages have played a part.

Every year most clubs throw more and more money at wages and signing players that turn out no better than what they had, for what? Usually to finish similar to where they finished the season before.

I bet if you did an age poll about those that are relaxed about the way the club is being run, top 4 before trophies, what we spend, Levy etc and those that can't deal with it and post negative shite on a daily basis. Most over 35/40 would be quite happy, most of the negative posters will be under that age. Why? Possibly because the older lot remember football before Sky and still hold a belief that footballs about loving the club, entertainment, building a team, going to the game with your mates, the ups and downs, the amazing signing out of no where, playing with style, periods of substained success, the new stadium, training ground etc. Its not about throwing shit loads of money at transfer fees and wages.
I always feel bad for the people who say its a trophy or bust. We play entertaining football. We win lots of games. We have big European nights. Don't get me wrong... I want to see the team win trophy. But for those that think its the end all, be all... say we win one. Then what? Will they be satisfied for the next 20 years? I doubt it. My guess would be that they'd say trophies from the past don't matter and we have to win another one immediately. Sit back and enjoy the ride fellas. These are good days!

Look Eriksen is a player. Been a fantastic servant and has not been nailed down to a new contract.

The club are who we support.

If Pochettino has not identified replacements in the likelihood of Eriksen leaving then it is stupidity.

The next step is securing the player or players who he thinks can do a job should Eriksen go.

But buying before we sell, given our financial situation has to be an imperative.

I don't support Eriksen FC but I will be fcuked off if THFC don't have a plan.

I always feel bad for the people who say its a trophy or bust. We play entertaining football. We win lots of games. We have big European nights. Don't get me wrong... I want to see the team win trophy. But for those that think its the end all, be all... say we win one. Then what? Will they be satisfied for the next 20 years? I doubt it. My guess would be that they'd say trophies from the past don't matter and we have to win another one immediately. Sit back and enjoy the ride fellas. These are good days!

Mostly though we’re respected

Hasn’t always been so

Look who you are backing.......
C984R2vXUAA7a3r.jpg

But do carry on suckling on his teet of opinion.

He was selling T-Shirts on his page the other day showing images of Rose West on the front. The guy is clearly a heartless scumbag. Spurs or not, he's a shit stirrer and nothing more to get clicks. I used to go on just to have a view of what moronic agendas he had come up with but after I saw those 'Valentines' themed t-shirts I'm not even going to give him the clicks he's after now. Awful attitude and behaviour

I'm sure there are clever contract lawyers that could work something out.

We've gone from the £20 a week salary cap in the 60s where all the power lay with the club, to today's post-Bosman mess where all the power lies with the player and their agents.

There must be a way? How about in the last 12 months of the contract the player is required to buy themselves out? Or some kind of tribunal to decide on a final transfer fee so the club doesn't incur a complete loss at the end of the contract.

You can see I'm not a clever contract lawyer, but the current situation can't continue, where players just run down their contract and expect (and get, Sanchez, Ramsay etc) a massive salary at their new club, thereby further distorting the market.

It would be nice if the clubs could cooperate and work something out but little chance of that
Imagine Levy and Abramovich after the Willian fiasco?

Look Eriksen is a player. Been a fantastic servant and has not been nailed down to a new contract.

The club are who we support.

If Pochettino has not identified replacements in the likelihood of Eriksen leaving then it is stupidity.

The next step is securing the player or players who he thinks can do a job should Eriksen go.

But buying before we sell, given our financial situation has to be an imperative.

I don't support Eriksen FC but I will be fcuked off if THFC don't have a plan.

Problem with that is how do you replace Eriksen?

I don’t know how much he’s been offered but if it’s less than Harry and Hugo then we’re shooting ourselves in the foot

This thread was incredibly confusing until I'd realised I'd put our resident bedroom protestor on ignore a few weeks ago when pissed and had forgoten all about it.

Now i see he is sinking as low as using the universaly dispised HH to support his agenda.

Weak as fuck.

Last edited:
It would be nice if the clubs could cooperate and work something out but little chance of that
Imagine Levy and Abramovich after the Willian fiasco?

The Bosman ruling applies across the EU, so presumably enforced by UEFA and the European courts.

Now without bringing up the Brexit mess, surely an amendment to Bosman can be enforced across UEFA? One that is not so heavily loaded in favour of the players.

Problem with that is how do you replace Eriksen?

I don’t know how much he’s been offered but if it’s less than Harry and Hugo then we’re shooting ourselves in the foot

Kane and Lloris may get more because of profile and size of respective nations/merchandising? Who knows for sure.

I think he would be hard to replace but only players like Ronaldo and Messi are irreplaceable.

I think he would be hard to replace but only players like Ronaldo and Messi are irreplaceable.

There will be life after Eriksen.

My worry is that it will take a couple of seasons and a few duds before we find the right replacement.

During this time we'll be having the exact same conversation over Dele, Kane, Son, Winks.

It shows what a shocking waste last summer was. Each summer transfer window we need to bring in 2/3 new faces to freshen up the squad - however this bit has been done to death on other threads.

Agreed. However if the player wants to leave in the last 12 months of his contract, some compensation is due to the host club, payable by the player.

That's called a transfer fee mate and the player usually loses any signing-on fee. Nothing else.

If a player does as Ramsey has done, then it's the last 6 months I believe when the player can discuss and then sign for a new club, usually effective 01 July xx.

At that point the player is either sold or runs down his old contract.

No doubt Juventus have some clause in the event of serious injury in Ramsey's case.

That's called a transfer fee mate and the player usually loses any signing-on fee. Nothing else.

The transfer fee is from club to club. I'm suggesting that if the player wants to leave in the last 12 months, he pays compensation, not the club. If he chooses to leave the club at the end of the contract the purchasing club pays a fee to the host club as agreed by some independent committee. Either way, the host club gets something rather than the nothing they currently get.

This is enforced UEFA-wide rather like Bosman.

There will be life after Eriksen.

My worry is that it will take a couple of seasons and a few duds before we find the right replacement.

During this time we'll be having the exact same conversation over Dele, Kane, Son, Winks.

It shows what a shocking waste last summer was. Each summer transfer window we need to bring in 2/3 new faces to freshen up the squad - however this bit has been done to death on other threads.

100% agree but I think the club won't allow the Eriksen/Alderweireld situation to return.

In fairness they haven't with Alderweireld as 25 million for a 30 year old is workable capital. And we have replacements who are getting better.

We will see more contracts with options to extend but with maybe greater sell-on clauses but also higher wages to boot.

The transfer fee is from club to club. I'm suggesting that if the player wants to leave in the last 12 months, he pays compensation, not the club. If he chooses to leave the club at the end of the contract the purchasing club pays a fee to the host club as agreed by some independent committee. Either way, the host club gets something rather than the nothing they currently get.

This is enforced UEFA-wide rather like Bosman.
Sorry mate.

You are proposing this as opposed to what happens now?

Fair enough. Unlikely though.

In fairness they haven't with Alderweireld as 25 million for a 30 year old is workable capital. And we have replacements who are getting better.

Agreed. Foyth and Sanchez are our future CBs. However Eriksen makes the team tick and is impossible to replace directly unless we go up against City/Chelsea/Real/Barca/PSG.

Sorry mate.

You are proposing this as opposed to what happens now?

Fair enough. Unlikely though.

You're probably right. We all agree that something needs to be done as the current situation continues to escalate the wage market (400K for Ramsay, 350K for Sanchez? - these type of players warrant no more than £120 -150K even in today's mad market)

Agreed. Foyth and Sanchez are our future CBs. However Eriksen makes the team tick and is impossible to replace directly unless we go up against City/Chelsea/Real/Barca/PSG.

You're probably right. We all agree that something needs to be done as the current situation continues to escalate the wage market (400K for Ramsay, 350K for Sanchez? - these type of players warrant no more than £120 -150K even in today's mad market)

On your first point I just think that if Eriksen leaves Pochettino will have to find a way to still get us moving. It's hard but that's what your scouts, videos and coaching are there for.

In my mind we will need 4 or 5 players for the squad to be as competitive next year.

If Eriksen and Alderweireld leave and their transfer fees get re-circulated, plus any money possibly available that has gone unspent, that could be 150 million plus.

I would like to believe that is enough to stop us going backwards at least

It's another example of an endemic issue in football of shifting power from club to player.

Badly run clubs like Woolwich have been victims of it for years. And Chelsea have a squad that are comfortable in the knowledge that if the manager pisses them off enough they can stop playing and the chairman will back them as less disposable asetts than the incumbent manager.

The extra TV money has just exacerbated it. A 100m transfer fee split over a 4 or 5 year contract is worth running your current deal down for.

Icardi stripped off captaincy at Inter and has decided he will not travel to the EL game tomorrow. Madrid bound for sure in the summer with Hazard I'm guessing (can they afford these 2 And Eriksen?)

Back
Top Bottom