Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh yeah i'd have him back in a heartbeat.

He grew up in Denmark and Holland. His not a Spurs fan, its his job. Sure i'd hope he has a love for us now but his career and family will always come first.

I'm also not sure we need a like for like replacement. If he goes Dele can play in the hole which is his best position and we can maybe buy a Sancho or Zaha to play out wide with Son on the other wing.
I've said it since his exit became more and more clear. We should not look to out and out replace him, that would just be too much work. We should instead look to adapt our playing style a bit and find another type of player to make that work. Because players with Eriksen's specific skillset are fairly rare.

You're trying to equate what a PL footballer and an MD does. It doesn't work like that.

Both excel at what they do and should be paid according to the principles outlined in the post above.

When people start moaning at what he earns compared to players I think it's a joke. He has worked hard at school and his professional career to get where he is and I imagine has a lot more pressure and works many more hours than the players and for less reward.

Some players put in the hours to improve, others it's well documented don't.

How many people in the country can you honestly say have the ability to run a premiership club? It's high pressure and very complicated. The Premiership can't even find someone to take over! So sure players have a unique skill but don't underestimate those of an effective CEO

I've said it since his exit became more and more clear. We should not look to out and out replace him, that would just be too much work. We should instead look to adapt our playing style a bit and find another type of player to make that work. Because players with Eriksen's specific skillset are fairly rare.

Inclined to agree, the dippers basically did that when Coutinho left and it hasn’t hurt them. Sancho + DvbB (Ajax)?

I doubt Eriksen would be dishonourable and run his contract down like that. Chances are he’d get sold before he was allowed to leave on a free. Levy will never let a player leave for free, unless it’s on his terms. More likely Eriksen would have a gentleman’s agreement about leaving if he signed a new contract and a mega club came in for him.

“Dishonorable”?

Playing at a club for the whole period of time in which you have a contract? That’s dishonorable?

Let me guess, it’s also dishonorable to force your way out of the club before the contract expires, like Modric did.

So Spurs players have 1 way to act honorable: Leave on Levy’s terms - i.e. when Levy gets a shitload of money for you and is satisfied.

:deledoubt:

So Spurs players have 1 way to act honorable: Leave on Levy’s terms - i.e. when Levy gets a shitload of money for you and is satisfied.

Swap the word "Levy" for "the club"....thats the point.
People want signings, then they are going to sit there and applaud Eriksen for fucking off on a free so he can earn 550k a week and leave us short on funds to replace him?

"Levy Levy Levy".....Levy is more Spurs than Eriksen ever will be mate, get that into your fat head

Hoping the last few matches puts this debate on Eriksen's set piece delivery and contribution to bed, and people stop expecting pure gold dust off his boot with every single touch!

And instead appriciate that he's a key part of the team every time he starts, and contributes key assists or goals in far, far more than his fair share of our important matches.
Never an issue with contribution or delivery, in my opinion, just direct free kicks. He's good at everything else. We need to win the CL or league if we want him to stay in my opinion. But not both as then he'd feel complete and leave too! Do we best throw one or the other. :eriksenlol: Poch will change things if he goes; I'm not worried about it. Just would be a shame to lose him.

He's made a couple of assists, vital assists....and scored a crucial goal, but lets not re write history.

He has a 37% shot accuracy and 22% crossing accuracy. Thats shit for his stature.
By comparison, Dier has a 25% shot accuracy, and 19% cross accuracy, and Trippier has a 26% cross accuracy, while Moura has a 39% shot accuracy.
Not exactly mixing it with top brass here.

Yes he plays in other ways, and stats arent everything, but if you want to dismiss the poor stats, then we can dismiss the good ones too right?

Christian Eriksen Statistics | Premier League

He's made a couple of assists, vital assists....and scored a crucial goal, but lets not re write history.

He has a 37% shot accuracy and 22% crossing accuracy. Thats shit for his stature.
By comparison, Dier has a 25% shot accuracy, and 19% cross accuracy, and Trippier has a 26% cross accuracy, while Moura has a 39% shot accuracy.

Yes he plays in other ways, and stats arent everything, but if you want to dismiss the poor stats, then we can dismiss the good ones too right?

Lol but when you watch the team play who seems to play better / have a more positive effect on the game, Dier, Tripps or CE?

Also surely big goals and assists count for more than standard shot accuracy, cross accuracy stats.... given, those actually directly affect the course of the game...

Or offer him terms which reflect his standing in the team/game, apparently the last offer was 110... need to offer him close to what Kane gets I would have thought...

Don't buy that for a second.... The source was some click-bait nobody (with a particularly shitty rep). Besides, considering the other contracts that have been dished out over the last year or so, there's no way we low-ball him that badly unless we actively want rid.

The only comments to come out from CE implied that things can be sorted. That said, I'm with Super Jan Fan Super Jan Fan - We need to win a major prize this year to convince him to commit his peak years to the club...

Lol but when you watch the team play who seems to play better / have a more positive effect on the game, Dier, Tripps or CE?

Also surely big goals and assists count for more than standard shot accuracy, cross accuracy stats.... given, those actually directly affect the course of the game...

It depends doesnt it. Eriksen didnt have any effect against Dortmund until Poch told him to drop deeper and collect the ball of the CBs......but why couldnt he work that out for himself for 35 minutes?

He's as much a passenger as the next man when we are under the kosh, and for a player who is so lauded, I dont see him as the lynchpin or catalyst that decides enough is enough, and just turns into the puppet master, like a Pirlo or Modric can.
Too inconsistent to be anywhere near that bracket, yet spoken of as if he is, so I judge him as such. A player who could "walk into" any team on the planet...I dont see it.

Big goals and assists count of course.....but a higher accuracy % of shots and crosses means more goals doesnt it, which helps makes seeing out games more comfortable, than charging the Alamo until the 94th minute every week.

Wonderful in his stride, but rarely for a whole game, and never, ever, for 3,4,5,6 games on the spin.

Also heard this new mantra about him missing Kane and Dele. No, not buying that.
A top player should stand out amongst lesser players, not revert. Put Messi alongside Ronaldo, he wont stand out as much as he would alongside Danny Drinkwater right?

If Eriksen needs Kane and Dele, to look good, then maybe its Kane and Dele that look good.

Last edited:

You can't use % accuracy for anything at all, as a standalone number.

He attempts difficult passes and crosses more than most. Way more. And is, it seems, encouraged to do so.

He clips in crosses and passes in spots like Dele running late into the box between defenders, and close to them meaning the pass has to absolutely spot on. Some of the players you compare to, can't make that pass >1% of the time and likely not even spot that it's on. Still a low percentage pass/cross, so should Eriksen stop taking them on to boost his numbers?

If he stops, Dele becomes less effective, because CD's can more or less let him run, knowing the pass isn't coming. As it is, the option moves defenders, which leads to either an Eriksen to Dele chance/goal or instead to more space elsewhere as the defenders have to shift and adjust.

You're the one rewriting history and a complex game by compacting it into simplified stats.

You can't use % accuracy for anything at all, as a standalone number.

He attempts difficult passes and crosses more than most. Way more. And is, it seems, encouraged to do so.

He clips in crosses and passes in spots like Dele running late into the box between defenders, and close to them meaning the pass has to absolutely spot on. Some of the players you compare to, can't make that pass >1% of the time and likely not even spot that it's on. Still a low percentage pass/cross, so should Eriksen stop taking them on to boost his numbers?

If he stops, Dele becomes less effective, because CD's can more or less let him run, knowing the pass isn't coming. As it is, the option moves defenders, which leads to either an Eriksen to Dele chance/goal or instead to more space elsewhere as the defenders have to shift and adjust.

You're the one rewriting history and a complex game by compacting it into simplified stats.

Yet if his cross accuracy was 79% you would happily throw it at me wouldnt you?
You do realise that 22% is 11 good crosses from 50 right?

Not good enough, especially when half of them are corners.

And football isnt complex. Kick the ball, over the first defenders head, not at his shins. Its a very, very simple game.

Last edited:
“Dishonorable”?

Playing at a club for the whole period of time in which you have a contract? That’s dishonorable?

Let me guess, it’s also dishonorable to force your way out of the club before the contract expires, like Modric did.

Agreed. There is nothing dishonourable about seeing out your contract. He has definitely given much more than the 11m or so (plus wages) that we bought him for than an average player does.

Don't buy that for a second.... The source was some click-bait nobody (with a particularly shitty rep). Besides, considering the other contracts that have been dished out over the last year or so, there's no way we low-ball him that badly unless we actively want rid.

The only comments to come out from CE implied that things can be sorted. That said, I'm with Super Jan Fan Super Jan Fan - We need to win a major prize this year to convince him to commit his peak years to the club...

Well he’s already said the club knows what he wants so that doesn’t sound like we must win a league or CL. Might mean show ambition to win it, that may be true.

Re wages, that was reported by more than one source that he hadn’t received an offer that matched what he wanted. Plus it was pretty widely reported 12-18 months ago he wanted 150k per week so...

Anyway, hope he stays!!

“Dishonorable”?

Spurs really should have been looking to ship Eriksen out when the contract had two years left to run - leaving it until just the one year and they were simply asking for another arSOLe situation.

Back
Top Bottom