Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Icardi stripped off captaincy at Inter and has decided he will not travel to the EL game tomorrow. Madrid bound for sure in the summer with Hazard I'm guessing (can they afford these 2 And Eriksen?)

Eriksen may play a canny game akin to the EU and Brexit is my feeling.

He need not rush to sign a contract but has also never (to my knowledge) talked about a move to maybe United or Chelsea being a no go.

Alternatively he sits tight and then sees if we come again with a renewed and even better offer. How much Pochettino influences hus decision is anyone's guess.

It's an unknown despite his stated desire to go to one of the big Spanish clubs.

I fear that we may get no fee for Eriksen. I have no doubt that if sold, he would command a fee north of 100 mil, but if he has been in contact with a favoured suitor - Barcelona for instance - and they feel it would be worth waiting a year to land their man and save the transfer fee, what's to stop Eriksen refusing any other offers in the close season and then waiting till January and signing a prelim for Barca and leaving for zilch in May?

I fear that we may get no fee for Eriksen. I have no doubt that if sold, he would command a fee north of 100 mil, but if he has been in contact with a favoured suitor - Barcelona for instance - and they feel it would be worth waiting a year to land their man and save the transfer fee, what's to stop Eriksen refusing any other offers in the close season and then waiting till January and signing a prelim for Barca and leaving for zilch in May?

I doubt Eriksen would be dishonourable and run his contract down like that. Chances are he’d get sold before he was allowed to leave on a free. Levy will never let a player leave for free, unless it’s on his terms. More likely Eriksen would have a gentleman’s agreement about leaving if he signed a new contract and a mega club came in for him.

If it's true that barcelona have contacted eriksen's representatives about a contract not too long ago then maybe eriksen already knows that barca may come in for him in the summer who knows?

Coming in for him this summer = trf fee for Spurs... Not ideal to lose him but preferable outcome compared to losing him for free the following summer (which is the deeper concern here as waiting that extra year makes financial sense for any potential suitors).

I doubt Eriksen would be dishonourable and run his contract down like that. Chances are he’d get sold before he was allowed to leave on a free. Levy will never let a player leave for free, unless it’s on his terms. More likely Eriksen would have a gentleman’s agreement about leaving if he signed a new contract and a mega club came in for him.

That scenario is entirely dependent on a team wanting to buy him this year, rather than for 'free' the following summer.

Without selling him to an EPL club theres only 4/5 teams elsewhere that could meet any (market) credible asking price.

Like you, i'd like to think a gentleman's agreement could be reached, but not sure that's not a rather romantic notion given how much is at play for CE.

That scenario is entirely dependent on a team wanting to buy him this year, rather than for 'free' the following summer.

Without selling him to an EPL club theres only 4/5 teams elsewhere that could meet any (market) credible asking price.

Like you, i'd like to think a gentleman's agreement could be reached, but not sure that's not a rather romantic notion given how much is at play for CE.

I don’t want Eriksen to go at any cost. However if his heart is set for elsewhere I wouldn’t begrudge him that as that has always been his dream. I don’t see him going for the big payday, he’s far to intelligent for that.

I'd be saying that as well if I'd spent the last many years demanding the to manager not head coach, underachieving on the field, and off the field letting the clubs biggest, what, 4-5 biggest assets in recent history run down their contracts to where they're leaving for free, leaving for a straight swap with fucking Mkhytaryan, holding you to ransom forcing a move to a direct rival, and holding you to ransom for a 300k+ deal :levylol:

Hoping the last few matches puts this debate on Eriksen's set piece delivery and contribution to bed, and people stop expecting pure gold dust off his boot with every single touch!

And instead appriciate that he's a key part of the team every time he starts, and contributes key assists or goals in far, far more than his fair share of our important matches.

Hoping the last few matches puts this debate on Eriksen's set piece delivery and contribution to bed, and people stop expecting pure gold dust off his boot with every single touch!

And instead appriciate that he's a key part of the team every time he starts, and contributes key assists or goals in far, far more than his fair share of our important matches.

Our output from set pieces this season has been admirable.

We've scored 12 goals from set pieces this season in all competitions in 40 games played.

2017-2018 - We scored 8 goals from set pieces in all competitions, 55 games played.
2016-2017 - We scored 12 goals from set pieces in all competitions, 53 games played.

So it's likely that we end this season with more goals from set pieces than the previous two seasons. I think the issue is we get a lot of set pieces, so people tend to remember the ones where Eriksen doesn't clear the first man etc.

We're actually pretty damn good at defending set pieces too and have shown improvements this season, though still a long way to go.

2018-19: 5 goals conceded from set pieces in all competitions. 40 games played.
2017-18: 8 goals conceded from set pieces in all competitions. 55 games played.
2016-17: 8 goals conceded from set pieces in all competitions. 53 games played.

Last edited:
Well obviously we're going to create more chances and look better when our creative midfielder plays well. This whole 'Eriksen playing well means we play well' theory is like saying when Kane plays well we score more goals or when Lloris plays well we concede fewer.

You could argue that we looked very dangerous with Jan and Aurier's crossing of the ball well today. You have a top 3 side that dominates large parts of games against most teams with 90% of set pieces taken by one player; wouldn't you expect Eriksen's stats to look good as a result of all of those opportunities he has?

He could take 100 terrible corners followed by one that we score from and all of a sudden the rhetoric from Spurs fans changes to how good at set pieces he is. There's definitely a blind love for the bloke from a section of our fans. If you gave any top set piece taker the number of opportunities Eriksen has with us then I believe you would just as many goals, if not more.

Well obviously we're going to create more chances and look better when our creative midfielder plays well. This whole 'Eriksen playing well means we play well' theory is like saying when Kane plays well we score more goals or when Lloris plays well we concede fewer.

You could argue that we looked very dangerous with Jan and Aurier's crossing of the ball well today. You have a top 3 side that dominates large parts of games against most teams with 90% of set pieces taken by one player; wouldn't you expect Eriksen's stats to look good as a result of all of those opportunities he has?

He could take 100 terrible corners followed by one that we score from and all of a sudden the rhetoric from Spurs fans changes to how good at set pieces he is. There's definitely a blind love for the bloke from a section of our fans. If you gave any top set piece taker the number of opportunities Eriksen has with us then I believe you would just as many goals, if not more.

Aside from the fact the CEs primary function isn't merely to score FKs, you seem to miss the point that when he doesn't play someone else is still deployed to inject the creativity into our game.... He's just far better at it and thus tough to replace.

Otherwise, on a comparable note, what's so irreplaceable about Kane if any old jackass can bag a bunch of goals?

Alternatively, why is the threat of him going to a so called bigger club such a concern right now if he's just an average joe doing his job?

With a dozen or so richer clubs than us, why would any of the top 10 creative players in the world be eager to sign as CEs replacement?

...Anomalies aside, they wouldn't. Thus he's relatively irreplaceable on a like for like basis.

Last edited:
I'm desperate for him to stay but I've resigned myself to defeat. He would have signed by now if he was going to stay.

I honestly think he will struggle at Madrid and Barca. Yes his amazing for us but he has to many bad games and at places like that you can't afford to. The fans will turn on him in a heartbeat.

I'm desperate for him to stay but I've resigned myself to defeat. He would have signed by now if he was going to stay.

I honestly think he will struggle at Madrid and Barca. Yes his amazing for us but he has to many bad games and at places like that you can't afford to. The fans will turn on him in a heartbeat.
As long as his exit is handled professionaly. Ponder that he flops at Real or Barca and if he decides it is not worth it, would you take him back at Spurs?

I would personally as long as he handles the exit well. He's been a good servant and if he wants a new adventure fair to him. And if handled well I would welcome him back should he want to come back one day.

As long as his exit is handled professionaly. Ponder that he flops at Real or Barca and if he decides it is not worth it, would you take him back at Spurs?

I would personally as long as he handles the exit well. He's been a good servant and if he wants a new adventure fair to him. And if handled well I would welcome him back should he want to come back one day.
Oh yeah i'd have him back in a heartbeat.

He grew up in Denmark and Holland. His not a Spurs fan, its his job. Sure i'd hope he has a love for us now but his career and family will always come first.

I'm also not sure we need a like for like replacement. If he goes Dele can play in the hole which is his best position and we can maybe buy a Sancho or Zaha to play out wide with Son on the other wing.

Back
Top Bottom