Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His first year when he was managed by AVB and Sherwood, he was outstanding.

Then again, I think under Sherwood someone like Eriksen would always flourish. Probably would have been great under Redknapp too.

Thing is, we are alot more tactical now so whilst he's still creative. It's not as clear cut as you'd see in an all guns blazing team. Statistically it shows he works very hard and is a vital cog in Pochs team.

Thing with Eriksen is you expect goals or assists. When he's not it seems like he's not up to much but he still has his benefits.

When I talk about being consistent it's more about him having a run of bad games and then a run lf great games, wich happens every season. Not numbers of goals and assists. Dembele doesn't have great numbers and he is our best player

Which is why I didn't quote you...

Every player in football other than Messi and Ronaldo is inconsistent. Telling him to be more consistent could apply to any player in world football, I don't see the value in it. Hence I didn't reply to you, but to the person saying that Eriksen has developed when he's been here, which I don't think he has.

This game was just the right way to answer his critics.
They were right though, his start to the season has been poor. Today he looked like the player we know he can be! Fantastic!

Which is why I didn't quote you...

Every player in football other than Messi and Ronaldo is inconsistent. Telling him to be more consistent could apply to any player in world football, I don't see the value in it. Hence I didn't reply to you, but to the person saying that Eriksen has developed when he's been here, which I don't think he has.
I appreciate its not his main role but poch wants us to defend/press as a team, 3 years ago this wasn't part of eriksen's game but the way he intercepts passes and closes down lanes is one of his key attributed imo. Do u not regard that as an improvement?

I appreciate its not his main role but poch wants us to defend/press as a team, 3 years ago this wasn't part of eriksen's game but the way he intercepts passes and closes down lanes is one of his key attributed imo. Do u not regard that as an improvement?

It's an adaptation to a new tactic.

Could he have done this 3 years ago? We don't know, as he was never asked to.

Considering we don't know if he was capable before, there's no point on which to judge "improvement". He's always been good at the pressing/intercepting, from what I can remember, so I don't see any clear sign of improvement.

It's an adaptation to a new tactic.

Could he have done this 3 years ago? We don't know, as he was never asked to.

Considering we don't know if he was capable before, there's no point on which to judge "improvement". He's always been good at the pressing/intercepting, from what I can remember, so I don't see any clear sign of improvement.
Sorry pal I have to disagree, the fact that he can adapt to a new system, rather than one where he has always had a 'free' role is an improvement in his game for me.

How many times have we lamented players for being unable to understand and follow the managers plans?

I genuinely don't believe he could play like he did today when he joined us, consistency imo is the only issue and he's still young so there's lots hope

I do hope his poor form wasn't just 'cos he was re-negotiating his new contract...? as in all likelihood, he'd have had very little to do with the contract... he just had to sign his name on the dotted line I imagine.
Can't have been that distracting, surely?

Unless he was getting worried as to whether they'd spelt it Eriksen or Eriksson!

F365’s early winner: Christian Eriksen
Date published: Monday 12th September 2016 8:28

Christian-Eriksen.jpg

On Thursday, Mauricio Pochettino remarked how an unsigned contract could affect a player’s form. By Saturday teatime, the Tottenham manager’s point had been proven correct on an ASAP basis. Christian Eriksen had spent the previous two hours enjoying himself at Stoke City’s expense.

“Perhaps subconsciously, the speculation can affect you when you are in the process of negotiating your future,” was Pochettino’s midweek assessment of Eriksen’s new four-year deal. “It is not about money. It’s about your future. Sometimes it is difficult but we trust Christian, he is happy to stay and there is no doubt he will improve his performance in the future.”

“Sometimes it is difficult” are the four words which might epitomise Eriksen’s relationship with Tottenham and their supporters. There is no doubting the prodigious talent that had long seen the Dane linked with a move to an elite European club, but too often the proof of that ability has been inconsistently demonstrated. There’s nothing quite as frustrating as unmatched potential.

This season, those doubts over Eriksen have increased thanks only to his own sluggish form. Five chances created, two shots on target and a suspicion that the attacking midfielder was not quite pulling his weight to meet Pochettino’s all-running, all-tackling demands. He was substituted against Crystal Palace and could not have complained had he been left on the bench against Liverpool. There were also rumours of ludicrous financial demands.

It’s important to offer a defence of Eriksen in the midst of such criticism. Not every flair player could adjust to Pochettino’s pressing game, especially when Eriksen is regularly shifted out to the left and right wings as well as his No. 10 role. The Dane has been asked to up his workload and drastically improve his defensive qualities. Joining under Andre Villas Boas in 2013, this is hardly what Eriksen signed up for, yet he has largely embraced the challenge.

“I’m really happy wherever the ball is,” Eriksen says. “For me it doesn’t matter. Like I’ve said many times before, if it’s the left wing and if the ball is close to being there or you’re in a good position, I’ll play left. If the ball is on the right I’ll play right, or in the middle. For me it really doesn’t matter what position I play.”

Eriksen can’t be criticised too readily for wanting more money, either. The rewards might still sound extravagant to you or I, but Eriksen’s salary before signing his new deal was a (relatively) paltry £30,000 a week. By way of comparison, that’s half the wage of Ruben Loftus-Cheek at Chelsea. Even after signing his new contract, Eriksen’s weekly wage is still £45,000 lower than Ashley Young’s at Manchester United. For a 24-year-old international playmaker with an impressive free-kick record, he represents extraordinarily good value for money.

If Eriksen’s stuttering form was due to uncertainty, Stoke were the victims of a player with new-found purpose. Starting on the right with Dele Alli central, Eriksen produced easily his best display of the season. His season totals of five chances and two shots on target were both doubled in 90 minutes, while Eriksen provided two assists in a league match for only the third time under Pochettino.

Heung-Min Son was the beneficiary of Eriksen’s brilliance, the Dane outplaying Joe Allen on the right wing before pulling the ball back for the opener. Son’s second-half finish was sublime, but the move was started by Eriksen’s drive forward and square pass. “Christian’s passes for both my goals were unbelievable and I had to just touch the ball,” said a humble Son.

How quickly a mood can change. Only a week ago, Tottenham writers believed that Eriksen had the most to fear after Moussa Sissoko’s arrival at White Hart Lane. Now it’s impossible to think that anyone else in Pochettino’s squad has the Dane’s exact skill set. Supporters will hope that this is a sign of brighter things to come.

Spurs TV has a feature with Eriksen breaking down the goals and his shot that hit the post. He says something at the very end that I didn't realize. Apparently he was sick in Australia. That might have definitely been something that was lingering and could be the reason why he wasn't performing well at the beginning of the season. Hopefully he's entirely over it and continues to produce like he did on Saturday.

Heung-Min Son was the beneficiary of Eriksen’s brilliance, the Dane outplaying Joe Allen on the right wing before pulling the ball back for the opener. Son’s second-half finish was sublime, but the move was started by Eriksen’s drive forward and square pass. “Christian’s passes for both my goals were unbelievable and I had to just touch the ball,” said a humble Son.

This reporter saying "said a humble Son" cracked me up. :sonhmm:

I really like Erik-Son style of play. I have been watching these to for a year now. From what I have seen, they don't seem to be too close on/off the pitch, but their thoughts align the same way so that Eriksen could pass to Sonny at any given moment without any hesitation, or vice versa. This can be - I think - very tactical especially when we launch a quick counter-attack. The match vs Stoke made me feel like I was watching last year's match vs Crystal Palace in the beginning of the season, where Eriksen and Sonny countered and scored the only goal in the match. I could certainly get used to this kind of goals!

:eriksenlol::sonlol::pochsmirk:

I wonder how Eriksen would do playing a bit deeper, the way he did at Ajax. He'd have a lot more time on the ball, it could make him a lot more effective.
I don't think time on the ball is his thing. He's a recycler of the ball - pass and move quickly. When he's on song he's brilliant at it.

Did Eriksen ever actually play deeper there for Ajax?

I know he played there a few times for Denmark, but Premier League level is a bit different I'd say.

That's an outstanding stat. He does his defensive work and works ridiculously hard for the team. Thought he had a good game today.

Back
Top Bottom