Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was enough money to secure Frenkie De Jong until he himself decided to stay put in favour of a move to Barcelona. Frenkie himself has confirmed this.

But sure, there was no money and Poch was just fucked over the table. Let's go with that then.
No not at all. Poch was in charge of the money obviously and decided he didnt want to pay for players.

I have protested Ashley's stewardship of Newcastle United, I've not protested the way he treats his Sports Direct staff.

Were the new owners to be similarly detrimental to the fortunes of the football club, I'd protest against that.

As I've said elsewhere I'd support efforts to draw a light on the mistreatment of homosexuals and women by celebrating or showing support for the LGBTQ+ and women in our community.

Has your moral conviction stopped you using Uber, Amazon, Apple, Nike and so on? Did you protest your club's association with Nike? Or are you a hypocrite too?
He is a hypocrite in denial. At least we can own up to it.

Sorry Scott, I see your point but I respectfully disagree.

This is not a matter of some being more supportive of the owners than the club. It's a matter of some wanting to distance the owners from the club which is more or less impossible in the modern landscape. By supporting Spurs you on some level are forced to support ENIC through your ticket money, merchandise sales etc. Just as Newcastle fans have had to support Ashley throughout his tenure as owner of the club, and will be forced to support the Saudi Arabian wealth fund if/when the takeover goes through.

clubs and their owners exist in a symbiotic relationship. You cannot fully distance them. No owner just owns a football club on this level out of pure love of the game and a want of trophies. They all want something out of it. be it money, sports washing of their name/brand/country or something else.

That doesn't mean that you cannot be critical of the owners of a club whilst a supporter. But you cannot claim that you do not support them if you at the same time have a season ticket and a dresser full of shirts and other paraphernalia. It's a grudging support but a support none the less.

Football as a whole and English football in particular is in need of an overhaul of supporter related power/say in their clubs. But with the sums involved in the modern game on the top level it seems very unlikely. It's surprising enough that Germany are still able to implement the 51% rule.

Support the club, not the owner doesn't work if you still actively contribute to their ownership. For some fans supporting their club in this day and age does require putting some distance between the club and their own personal morals sadly. And it is up to each fan to decide when enough is enough.

Then there's also the factor of some fans having vastly different levels of expectations than others. Some fans are happy to watch some football whilst some seem dead bent on every season bringing a trophy.
Agree in part but disagree in part. Some are very quick to rip in to the manager/players & abuse them. But if you say a bad word against the owner or levy, they go mad & start abusing you. They get very protective of the owners/levy whilst easily dishing out abuse to our players & manager & also any other fan who criticises the owner or levy.
So to me, they are far bigger supporters of the owners/levy than the actual playing side. Just my opinion. I don't get it but there is jo right or wrong. They can't help being naturally protective of the owners/levy whilst at the same time naturally feelong the urge to abuse the players, manager & other fans who criticise their beloved owners/chairman.

But on the main point you made, you are right that you are begrudingly supporting the owners if you buy any merchandise or go to matches etc. But its a different kind of support. The same way me & you support child slave labour through spending ££. Its not the same as supporting & loving the concept of child slave labour in our minds or any other way besides spending on it.
Same with ENIC, you are right that I support them via spending but not in any other way. I have no care or love for them. Obviously they don't care as long as I spend.

Oh & I agree with football power needing to go more towards the fans again. Its gone too far the other way. I like the german model. But as you say, its not easy to implement & it is a very complex situation.

Last edited:
Agree in part but disagree in part. Some are very quick to rip in to the manager/players & abuse them. But if you say a bad word against the owner or levy, they go mad & start abusing you. They get very protective of the owners/levy whilst easily dishing out abuse to our players & manager & also any other fan who criticises the owner or levy.
So to me, they are far bigger supporters of the owners/levy than the actual playing side. Just my opinion. I don't get it but there is jo right or wrong. They can't help being naturally protective of the owners/levy whilst at the same time naturally feelong the urge to abuse the players, manager & other fans who criticise their beloved owners/chairman.

But on the main point you made, you are right that you are begrudingly supporting the owners if you buy any merchandise or go to matches etc. But its a different kind of support. The same way me & you support child slave labour through spending ££. Its not the same as supporting the concept of child slave labour in our minds.
I haven't ripped in to the players or managers, others maybe, but not me.

Genuine question :

You said previously that you won't be giving any more of your money to Spurs, mainly due to the furlough thing (assuming that was the last straw). Now Levy has reversed that decision, are you going to reverse yours?

No traps, genuinely interested.

I haven't ripped in to the players or managers, others maybe, but not me.

Genuine question :

You said previously that you won't be giving any more of your money to Spurs, mainly due to the furlough thing (assuming that was the last straw). Now Levy has reversed that decision, are you going to reverse yours?

No traps, genuinely interested.
Wasn't aimed at you. The likes of Airfixxx & pipes come under that section. Yeah, our owners & levy have been putting me off going much for a while now. & the intent with the furloughing rubbed it home. Glad they saw sense BUT we all know what they wanted to do & only backed down because of the abuse. But credit to them for admitting they made a mistake & reversing their decision.
But with me its bigger than just them. For the last few year's I have been going more & more off football & the whole industry. The owners, players, agents etc aren't easy to relate to or like anymore.
The sky high prices for TV & tickets etc has gone too far & they all make way too much.
I begrudge spending any money on any top flight football now.
& not just in football, but in general this pandemic has shown up the rich for how cold & selfish they are & the fact they are in their own little bubble & are so unrelatable.

I can't really justify spending large sums on football. So I will probably just go once a year to take my little brother as his traditional yearly gift. Still unbeaten when he goes!
I also stopped my BT sports subscription because football has stopped. Was planning to start it up again when football gets going. But now I don't think I'll bother. Save my money & just stream matches instead.
But in no way am I belittling anyone who chooses to spend a fortune on football teams. Its their money & if they enjoy it then fair enough.

Last edited:
Wasn't aimed at you. The likes of Airfixxx & pipes come under that section. Yeah, our owners & levy have been putting me off going much for a while now. & the intent with the furloughing rubbed it home. Glad they saw sense BUT we all know what they wanted to do & only backed down because of the abuse. But credit to them for admitting they made a mistake & reversing their decision.
But with me its more bigger than just them. For the last few year's I have been going more & more off football & the whole industry. The owners, players, agents etc aren't easy to relate to our like anymore.
The sky high prices for TV & tickets etc has gone too far & they all make way too much.
I begrudge spending any money on any top flight football now.
& not just in football, but in general this pandemic has shown up the rich for how cold & selfish they are & the fact they are in their own little bubble & are so unrelatable.

I can't really justify spending large sums on football. So I will probably just go once a year to take my little brother as his traditional yearly gift. Still unbeaten when he goes!
I also stopped my BT sports subscription because football has stopped. Was planning to start it up again when football gets going. But now I don't think I'll bother. Save my money & just stream matches instead.
But in no way am I belittling anyone who chooses to spend a fortune on football teams. Its their money & if they enjoy it then fair enough.
Thanks for the genuine reply.

Wasn't aimed at you. The likes of Airfixxx & pipes come under that section

Show me where I rip into the players and managers in the manner that you suggest?

You can't.... Because I don't; which is one of the reasons why I have to put up with being mocked for being a "mega-fan" by twats like you.

Show me where I rip into the players and managers in the manner that you suggest?

You can't.... Because I don't; which is one of the reasons why I have to put up with being mocked for being a "mega-fan" by twats like you.

scott scott - This used to be my avatar for a reason, you little worm:

NINTCHDBPICT000488451386-e1557517641237.jpg

I’d be happy to debate you scott scott as I don’t have you on ignore. I’m a member on here as it’s great to hear opinions on all manner of subjects, not just Spurs or football.

Thing is, I’ve supported Spurs since 1981. It’s tough to be told by you that I support Levy instead as it’s just not true. Means it’s really difficult to take you or your opinions seriously.

If you were able to cut out the hyperbole and lies, you might understand that we both just want what’s best for the club as a whole, even if we differ how to achieve it.

Havibg me on ignore, naming me without tagging me, generally being a bottling pussy, making comment on what I do and don’t support. I’m surprised that you’re surprised when I call you a cunt.

I’d be happy to debate you scott scott as I don’t have you on ignore. I’m a member on here as it’s great to hear opinions on all manner of subjects, not just Spurs or football.

Thing is, I’ve supported Spurs since 1981. It’s tough to be told by you that I support Levy instead as it’s just not true. Means it’s really difficult to take you or your opinions seriously.

If you were able to cut out the hyperbole and lies, you might understand that we both just want what’s best for the club as a whole, even if we differ how to achieve it.

Havibg me on ignore, naming me without tagging me, generally being a bottling pussy, making comment on what I do and don’t support. I’m surprised that you’re surprised when I call you a cunt.
1981!!!!!

FUCKING 81!!!!!!!

BLOODY KIDS.

:wansum:

And that was kinda the idea I was floating a while ago Fishy. Your fans don't need to get protective over them on social media, they don't need to do a City and have banners and songs about them. The best thing to do is to sing about the Manager and players keep the focus on that. If a jorno takes digs at the owners, don't attack the jorno but agree with them, agree with the article. I mean what will it change? Nothing.

Here's a good article just written by Delane

It hasn't been up long but give it until the end of today/tomorrow and there will no doubt be fans on the defensive. Newcastle fans can come out of this well if they are seen to not back the new regime. Asley was a terrible owner for you lot but he hadn't murdered anyone or committed mas genocide.

City fans come under a lot of stick for being plastic and for supporting their beloved owner(s). Almost all other fanbases appear to be indifferent to their owners or hate them with a passion (even if they have run the club well), in all of these cases the fans add little to what and how their club is run.

I wouldn't put much stock in whatever Delaney writes. He was all for a Saudi takeover of his club (Man Utd), has been on a crusade against the Qatari owners of their local rivals and suggests Newcastle fans protest their prospective new owners, but willingly works for a paper owned by Ex-KGB oligarchs and, yes, a Saudi billionaire.

I've no issue with journalists criticising the Saudis, they absolutely should do that, but in so many of the pieces written thus far the journalists insist Newcastle fans have some obligation to be the morality police. That we should protest and/or boycott the club we love. If they were to keep us out of their criticism, they'd not get the opprobrium. Or at least not on the scale they do. Then again, for many of the journalists, reaction is what they're after. Same reason some ex-pro on talkSport will make some il-informed declaration about Spurs, or Man Utd, or Liverpool. Get people calling their premium rate number.

For what it's worth, I won't defend the Saudis if they do buy the club. There will be some knackers who do, partly because they can't disassociate owner from club, partly because frankly they're not that bright.

I wouldn't put much stock in whatever Delaney writes. He was all for a Saudi takeover of his club (Man Utd), has been on a crusade against the Qatari owners of their local rivals and suggests Newcastle fans protest their prospective new owners, but willingly works for a paper owned by Ex-KGB oligarchs and, yes, a Saudi billionaire.

I've no issue with journalists criticising the Saudis, they absolutely should do that, but in so many of the pieces written thus far the journalists insist Newcastle fans have some obligation to be the morality police. That we should protest and/or boycott the club we love. If they were to keep us out of their criticism, they'd not get the opprobrium. Or at least not on the scale they do. Then again, for many of the journalists, reaction is what they're after. Same reason some ex-pro on talkSport will make some il-informed declaration about Spurs, or Man Utd, or Liverpool. Get people calling their premium rate number.

For what it's worth, I won't defend the Saudis if they do buy the club. There will be some knackers who do, partly because they can't disassociate owner from club, partly because frankly they're not that bright.
No Fishy, no one is saying boycott your Club. Everyone is suggesting you could boycott the owners!! That's the difference. As you've been correctly saying fans can't do anything about who buys their club, they don't sign off the fit and proper persons stuff, nothing they do or can do will influence who buys/owns their club.

All anyone is saying is don't confuse defending your Club with defending the regime that owns it. There is an opportunity to go further and protest against them, it will not make any difference with them though, as in order for the sports-wash to take effect they have to invest and make some noise with the assets they have acquired for that purpose, so the investment will still come even though you can openly protest against them if you please. I see that as a win win for Newcastle fans. Reap the rewards of the investment, while at the same time not backing the regime that's doing the investing (Man U fans protest against the Glazers, this hasn't stopped £1b being spent on players in the past couple of seasons alone. I get they pay themselves handsomely via dividend and bonus, something that many owners elsewhere don't do, but equally, there is a ton of investment being made on the squad).

If Poch does go to them would be interesting to see if he wins anything or he gets them playing great football and always fall short like we did.

If he fails at a club with unlimited financial resources might be his last big shot

Them being one and the same might have a lot to do with that....

If you broke it down; a non-football fan would see the ownership for what it is, so the oppo fan stuff is just a red herring.
Why not just answer his question, mate.

Do you protest against our clubs association with Nike.

I don't. I support my football team. I want to see my football team compete and win trophies..

If you don't protest, You're a first rate hypocrite. Just as you didn't protest against our club banking £50million of what you describe as blood money from Abu Dhabi for Kyle Walker.

If I could pay less tax I would. I imagine 99.99999% of this forum think the same.
Exactly. People shouldn't be getting on their high horses to judge when they too would be quick to carry out morally wrong actions.
How many would stop supporting spurs if we had those saudi owners? Barely anyone I bet. Who dares to go on record to say they would stop supporting the club due to the owners. Let's be having you!

Why not just answer his question, mate.

Do you protest against our clubs association with Nike.

I don't. I support my football team. I want to see my football team compete and win trophies..

If you don't protest, You're a first rate hypocrite. Just as you didn't protest against our club banking £50million of what you describe as blood money from Abu Dhabi for Kyle Walker.

I've already explained my position... If it doesn't fit nicely into a little box for you I make no apologies for that.

Lots of things things within the game rub badly against my principals and like I've already said, us being owned by such a regime would be a bridge too far for me.

You've previously stated that you would openly welcome such ownership... You're position is not news.

Back
Top Bottom