Come here to laugh at the Fascist, Failing Chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Being a great footballer who speaks a good game and is quite intelligent definitely works in Kompanys favour.

The fact he seems to have both Chelsea and Bayern after him despite spending close to 150m and getting relegated quite comfortably (and even finishing below Luton) is quite something.

I think you’re overrating the role of tactics.

Your tactics are only as good as the players at your disposal. Motivating players to die for you on the pitch is more important, and he did that.

They’ll probably get a tactical manager like that guy at Leicester, but if he can’t get them running and willing to play for him it’ll be much worse. Look at how Leicester ended the season compared to Chelsea.
Not true.

If you are tactically adept and insightful, you can provide competent players with a system and tactics that make them far more than the expected sum of their parts.

Emery is a shining example of this.

Who has done remarkable things with unremarkable players.

Again, motivation can only get you so far.

Especially in this - fine margins - league (if you have high ambition/expectations).

It's tactical nous that makes the difference and gets you over the line.

Last edited:
Just had to look at Marescas career. He won the U21 title with Man City (Tim Sherwood could probably do that) had 14 games at Parma, of which he won 4 before being sacked and then Leicester this season. That seems a bit risky to say the least but happy days.

Worth noting he worked with Palmer in that U21 City team.

Probably Lavia too.

Not true.

If you are tactically adept and insightful, you can provide competent players with a system and tactics that make them far more than the expected sum of their parts.

Emery is a shining example of this.

Who has done remarkable things with unremarkable players.

Again, motivation can only get you so far.

Especially in this - fine margins - league (if you have high ambition/expectations).

It's tactical nous that makes the difference and gets you over the line.
Competent players shouldn’t need tactics to be able to look good.

When it comes to unremarkable players I agree more, you can drill patterns into them and make the team look better. Emery did that this season, but we’ve seen him with the scum and PSG as well.

When it comes to unremarkable players I agree more, you can drill patterns into them and make the team look better. Emery did that this season, but we’ve seen him with the scum and PSG as well.
That's hasn't got anything to do with my point.

And it's not just drilling patterns into players per se - it's the substance and sophistication of those patterns - amongst other things - and the ability to adjust, adapt and craft new ones as required.

For all intents and purposes, Poch is a meat and potatoes manager.

For some reason our fans have Arteta-like goggles on when it comes to him and overlook all his faults.

That's hasn't got anything to do with my point.

And it's not just drilling patterns into players per se - it's the substance and sophistication of those patterns - amongst other things - and the ability to adjust, adapt and craft new ones as required.

For all intents and purposes, Poch is a meat and potatoes manager.

For some reason our fans have Arteta-like goggles on when it comes to him and overlook all his faults.
Emery and maybe Tuchel are the only managers I can think of that frequently adjust and adapt their tactics based on the opposition.

I don’t see anything wrong with being a meat and potatoes manager either. You provide a basic framework to the players and allow them creative freedom to make their own decisions.

I don’t think it’s necessarily worse than being a more tactical manager.

think you’re overrating the role of tactics.

Your tactics are only as good as the players at your disposal.
I really disagree here.

First up, Chavs are always going to have very good players, just because of their budgets and academy.

That gets you beating the teams you should beat, most of the time. But the best teams win in the head to heads a lot of the time cos of tactics and in game managment.

Poch and tactics and in game mgment? Very poor. Juventus Wembley. Conte Wembley. Mourinho Wembley. One off games and had the best of the game in all of them. Lost them all.

Sooner or later they'll end up with someone like Anceloti who'll be good tactically and know how to get the best out of an XI selected from a very good squad.

Poch will have them challenging top 4, which isn't even their bare minimum. Shame he's gone.

For the vast majority of clubs the task for the manager is to get more than the sum of their parts out of the collective.

When it comes down to it; that's man management & tactics.

Emery and maybe Tuchel are the only managers I can think of that frequently adjust and adapt their tactics based on the opposition.

I don’t see anything wrong with being a meat and potatoes manager either. You provide a basic framework to the players and allow them creative freedom to make their own decisions.

I don’t think it’s necessarily worse than being a more tactical manager.
Ok, prolly best to end discussion here, then.

I really disagree here.

First up, Chavs are always going to have very good players, just because of their budgets and academy.

That gets you beating the teams you should beat, most of the time. But the best teams win in the head to heads a lot of the time cos of tactics and in game managment.

Poch and tactics and in game mgment? Very poor. Juventus Wembley. Conte Wembley. Mourinho Wembley. One off games and had the best of the game in all of them. Lost them all.

Sooner or later they'll end up with someone like Anceloti who'll be good tactically and know how to get the best out of an XI selected from a very good squad.

Poch will have them challenging top 4, which isn't even their bare minimum. Shame he's gone.
You need players with the technical quality to perform certain tactics. We’ve seen Royal try to play as an inverted full back.

That’s general tactical instructions you give to a team. But there’s also in game management as you mentioned and making tweaks within a game based on the situation. And I agree it isn’t Poch’s strength.

Back
Top Bottom