Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

like berbatov? modric? bale? kane?

we get these elite players and we cant keep hold of them because we put a load of shit around them and just waste years on their careers. feeder club.
Absolutely nailed it. And this how and why the club manages to expand it's non footballing portfolio while winning absolutely fuck all on the pitch.
It's purely financial.

He's a good player but I still maintain that his departure won't hurt as much (due to the system mostly).

Years ago I maintained Kanes departure won't hurt us providing we signed a "Maddison type player" who can cover his assists and a "Richarlison type player" that is adaptable and can chip in with 15 goals or so. I remember the ridicule then and it's turned out OK.

we are conceding goals galore with Romero in the team. It's not a situation where we currently have a formidable back 4 where we are not conceding (example being if Gooner scum lost saliba they would be absolutely screwed).

He definitely wants out (or wanted out) and Real Madrid are definitely interested. If they come calling they usually get their target (which is why I accepted his outtie months back). I suppose there's a chance Levy will reject bids but I eventually see a scenario where Romero goes public about his desire to join Madrid and then we drag it out before selling.

Our back four is pretty formidable when it's fit though to be fair. Only 18 goals conceded when on the pitch together last season. With only 11 being from open play.

In the 635 minutes Romero missed in the league last season, we conceded 19 goals alone.

Our back four is pretty formidable when it's fit though to be fair. Only 18 goals conceded when on the pitch together last season. With only 11 being from open play.

In the 635 minutes Romero missed in the league last season, we conceded 19 goals alone.
yes but a lot of that has got to do with the alternative 'centre backs' like Davies and Emerson(as well as romero missing games the same time as VDV).

I could be totally wrong but I genuinely can't see it being as big a loss as some are making out.

We miss him pretty bad when he doesn't play. As good as anyone in the world for ball playing and passing out, plus he blocks more shots than anyone and pushes us forward by winning it back high up in our half.

Our adaptation to a new system and the injuries and suspensions are the main reasons why our back 4 didn't have such a formidable record last season. With Dragu as the 3rd CB and likely another coming in, we should be a lot more stable.

I guess we have to see how it goes but the chances of it being this summer are pretty slim IMO and if he did go this summer when we haven't had enough time to bed in Dragusin and the next CB, I think we'd be in big trouble tbh. He can be replaced like any player but in terms of logistics, we really could use a season of relative stability at the back first.
Fair point.

yes but a lot of that has got to do with the alternative 'centre backs' like Davies and Emerson(as well as romero missing games the same time as VDV).

I could be totally wrong but I genuinely can't see it being as big a loss as some are making out.

Defensively, we may not. Dragusin looks very capable.

But it's build up and his ability to break lines and create attacks with his ball playing ability we will miss most in my view.

the fans arent innocent either. youve had fools singing about loving eric dier! when you got a fanbase celebrating mediocrity like that its no wonder the actual gems want to fuck off.

the standards at this club are a joke. clubs been wheel spinning for decades. the foundations look to be strong but the potential will never be fulfilled. its actually fucking boring now.
If you have no desire from the top , then it won't be fulfilled, club makes huge revenue streams by being slightly above average.
If Madrid really want Romero then, he goes nothing we have to offer can match their ambitions.
He is also Spanish speaking so, it's naturally enticing, add in the glamour of Madrid, compared with Tottenham who have, a morbid fear winning anything.

If Romero leaves it's because he wants to go to a club who's fans want them to get in the CL, not throw a game, finish 5th and laugh in the pub because your rival didn't win something.

That's the kind of club we've become and I could see why he (and others) might have looked at that situation and questioned why they are here.

Last edited:
If Romero leaves it's because he wants to go to a club who's fans want them to get in the CL, not throw a game, finish 5th and laugh in the pub because your rival didn't win something.

That's the kind of club we've become and I could see why he (and others) might have looked at that situation and questioned why they were there.
Sad state of affairs.

Bellingham is the most over rated player in recent times. Real Madrid have damaged him and I expect a Dele style fall from grace in hi career.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

I'm so hesitant to put him at 6, since it's basically another Dier scenario. But I do feel he's technically gifted enough to really excel in the role, while it allows Dragon to provide much needed aerial and defensive shape in behind.

I do hope we just find a 6 which we do clearly need..
I like this idea. None of us really know. Needs worked through on the training ground with Cuti, but outside-in it does look like it could work very well.

I warned this would happen a few times earlier this season. If Madrid want to make it happen they will, and Levy for sure will accept any offer north of 100million. Otherwise we may keep him another season when the rumors will probably start up again.

Making him captain and giving him a big pay raise would probably endear us to him, which could parlay well into a post-Son rebuild. But if not for whatever reason, 110m or so plus Dragusin and we are not in bad shape. Spend that wisely and we could have 2 50m players in place of a player that perhaps would be upset or bitter if forced to stay.

We have to accept that the club are not so ambitious as to turn down exceptional transfer fees for the sake of being the most competitive. Romero would be sold so long as RM and Levy agree a price.
Agree with this. Make him captain and bump his wages up to £200k p/w. He's worth that in the context of the PL. Let's stop underpaying our top players. Beyond that, let's take the £100m+

That's the kind of club we've become and I could see why he (and others) might have looked at that situation and questioned why they are here.

Oh fuck off.

Agree with this. Make him captain and bump his wages up to £200k p/w. He's worth that in the context of the PL. Let's stop underpaying our top players. Beyond that, let's take the £100m+
Whatever RM pay their highest paid defender, match it and more on top. Then they have to
1-pay a record fee for a defender to get him.
2- level up with all their top earning defenders who will want parity with the new boy.
I’m sure if they want him, they will ultimately get him if he wants to go. It’s RM after all.
Levy will/should make it as expensive and uncomfortable as possible if they are serious. Like ball squeezingly uncomfortable.

Romero pulled out of a tackle with Foden in the same match and his defending on the first goal was suspect, he knew the assignment.

Back
Top Bottom