Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let’s talk about Alli, so media agenda apart...

Considering the clamour for him to be dropped, suspended he seems to be doing okay then? :deledoubt::allitongue:

Let's not re write history.

He's been excellent in the last two games, and he was excellent against Liverpool and Madrid.

He knows he's had a poor season generally though and so does Poch. Both have said as much.

Not going to look back, just forward, but we shouldn't confuse improvement with "nothing to see here".......he had poor form, he's getting through it and to deny he was ever poor only does an injustice to all the hard work he has put into getting back to his best.

One of the issues of 24/7 Tottenham focused media (same for all other clubs) and that is there is NOTHING to write about, so lets examine every microscopic detail and turn it into something to write about. Expect the next instalment of why Dele's nostril hair hasn't grown for 6 days.
Probably got a nose hair trimmer for Christmas...

Not this again...

Not a dig at you but there was loads of stick after the league Cup goal. Body language experts everyone, could have just woken up with a hangover
Gary Lineker famously said that scoring was better than sex....just thought he might have looked at bit happier, that's all. I'm one of those who have been defending him to the hilt, especially those who have no clue about football, ie spammers and gooners :)

Probably didnt celebrate because it was 3-0. No need to go crazy. Also, I think the recent stick against him hasn't been right. Sure, he hasn't scored as often as I think we'd all expect, but he hasn't been as bad as some will have you believe.

Gary Lineker famously said that scoring was better than sex....just thought he might have looked at bit happier, that's all. I'm one of those who have been defending him to the hilt, especially those who have no clue about football, ie spammers and gooners :)
Maybe he's having better sex.
He knew he had just done something special and the inner smile was all over his face. I feel he's trying so hard (focused), he has lost the enjoyment. That was one of the few occasions, recently he has played on instinct. He needs to do more of that rather than overplay the ball. He's looking for the moment rather than let it happen.

Love the guy and hopes he keeps on trying to take on players and create chances for us. I remember criticizing Kane for going deep a few seasons ago, look how much he contributes from there now. Dele is a very tricky player and very often he's millimeters away from beating his man, if he can add this to his game he'll be unstoppable

I just read it as being a bit humble following a slower patch. Thought he was great yesterday!
Just like last season, he's gearing up very nicely for a form explosion in the new year.

Fingers crossed.
Love the guy and hopes he keeps on trying to take on players and create chances for us. I remember criticizing Kane for going deep a few seasons ago, look how much he contributes from there now. Dele is a very tricky player and very often he's millimeters away from beating his man, if he can add this to his game he'll be unstoppable
Even yesterday when we had a safe lead, I still found myself muttering "oh for fuck's sake, come on Dele" any time he'd have options available but run into one of their defenders. I know that if what he's trying to do does come off, then we'll probably be in on goal, but I can see why people get frustrated. Patience, and all that, I suppose.

Funny how his best moments have been when he pulls off stuff that when it doesn't come off people moan.

Beats Casemiro twice to score, beats Ramos to assist Eriksen, skins 2 Dortmund players to get a key assist, audacious volley to take the game away from Liverpool, recieving the ball with his back to goal turning and splitting the defence with a pass to Son who assisted Kane against Soton etc.

But when those things don't come off it's all "FFS he needs to keep it simple. He tries too much. Drop him!"

Same people who moan we move the ball slowly, pass backwards and sideways and don't attempt to beat players.

Funny how his best moments have been when he pulls off stuff that when it doesn't come off people moan.

Beats Casemiro twice to score, beats Ramos to assist Eriksen, skins 2 Dortmund players to get a key assist, audacious volley to take the game away from Liverpool, recieving the ball with his back to goal turning and splitting the defence with a pass to Son who assisted Kane against Soton etc.

But when those things don't come off it's all "FFS he needs to keep it simple. He tries too much. Drop him!"

Same people who moan we move the ball slowly, pass backwards and sideways and don't attempt to beat players.
When they come off we are through, when they don't, keep doing it and doing it some more, never stop, never hide. Always he should be brave and play the difficult ball. I'm delighted Poch has kept playing the lad and not dropped him, same thing Fergie did with Ronaldo when he was braking through, encouraged him to do more and more step-overs never play the easy ball, always try to beat his man.

The goal against Southampton, the execution is on par with Kanes ability which clearly demonstrates Allis talent .
The aggression Alli shows is in part frustration , part trying too hard. A little petulance is clear although the aggression must never be removed just tamed.
Most times, Alli is not playing with instinct-he's thinking too much and trying to force his game.
He is a young man, at he top of his career (at he moment) and must have a million thoughts going through his mind. He needs to clear his head, work hard and play and enjoy football. Act on impulse, play the ball he feels is right for that moment not over think it and then the moment is gone.

I feel this season, he is a marked man and his reputation has gone before him. Where Alli can self destruct on occasion, other professionals I feel are envious of him, jealousy is clear and many would want to slap him down a peg. As he matures he will become a quality player, he just needs to believe this and keep working hard and not let other get him down .

He is at a great club to allow him to blossom and a great coach who will nurture him.

Kane worked hard and made the step from average to quality. It just happens, there is no defining line. Both coaches and players can't see it, it just happens. Alli needs to keep playing and work hard and it will defiantly happen if it hasn't happened already. Consistency is key, less mistake and being in control of your game.

His best moments are when he's putting the effort in, and when he's doing that, his magic usually comes off.
I think you've come at it from the wrong angle....all those moments you've mentioned were in his best games this season.

He didnt play like that against Woolwich, or Utd, or Burnley at home though.

Its not a matter that Dele played just the same in every game, but some teams were just too good for him. Otherwise we should be asking why Paul Clement got sacked when he's clearly got more tactical awareness than Zidane, seeing as he stifled us at Wembley. The simple truth is, we didnt play well in that game, collectively and neither did Dele.

Said it before, but it still seems lost on some, but when your best players turn up, the whole team is lifted.
Some people think that its the job of lesser players to lift the better ones and I cant understand that.

He’s 21. Still learning, developing and this season he’s dealing with being marked out of some games.

Kane, Son and Eriksen all in better form at the moment has made it a lot easier for him to find more space in recent games. Combined with the fact he’s playIng better everything has just clicked.

And who was it on here who said sell him now for £25m??
:dembelelol:

Think it’s much more likely his value can be compared to Coutinho’s Barca fee in the summer.

I would guess closer to £125 than £25m if and when we sell him.

strange how some people don't see that, isn't it?

maybe if they got their head out of their arse and admitted they were wrong, the place would be a lot less of a battlezone

Back
Top Bottom