Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didnt watch a single MK Dons game last season, as Im sure 99.9% of our fans didnt.

So again, I understand the sentiment that people thought a 19yr old from League One might see a loan.
You knew though, so well done.
Talent is everywhere, him being from League One is irrelevant.

I didnt watch a single MK Dons game last season, as Im sure 99.9% of our fans didnt.

So again, I understand the sentiment that people thought a 19yr old from League One might see a loan.
You knew though, so well done.

I watched one where they hammered United 4-0 and he didn't stand out that day. Saw a few goals in highlights but did not expect him to have this kind of impact. Glad he's been given the chance to prove himself and taken it with both hands.

Talent is everywhere, him being from League One is irrelevant.

Actually its the exact reason people thought he might need a loan.

You seem to have decided that he is the finished article already? Personally, I think there will inevitably be huge swings in his form, and as the season wears on there will be many games where he will be out of his depth.

Maybe you think the composure required playing in the PL weekly as opposed to League One is irrelevant too. All decent raw talent gets found out. Even Kane and Bale.

So when Alli has teams looking at him as the threat he is, as opposed to an emergency fill in they may think he is right now, we will see how he copes with that lack of top flight experience and his age.

He may well still see loan time, which IMO would be understandable.

The danger is people like you who are treating him like the Messiah already, and when his form dips or his confidence nosedives, instead of realising that this very young player was training and playing in Division 3, less than a year ago, you will be probably just be calling him a flash in the pan.

Last edited:

You seem to have decided that he is the finished article already? Personally, I think there will inevitably be huge swings in his form, and as the season wears on there will many games where he will be out of his depth.

Maybe you think the composure required playing in the PL weekly as opposed to League One is irrelevant too. All decent raw talent gets found out. Even Kane and Bale.

So when Alli has teams looking at him as the threat he is, as opposed to an emergency fill in they may think he is right now, we will see how he copes with that lack of top flight experience and his age.

The danger is people like you who are treating him like the Messiah already, and when his form dips or his confidence nosedives, instead of realising that this very young player was training and playing in Division 3, less than a year ago, you will be probably just be calling him a flash in the pan.[/QUOTE

Sam every time i read your posts it's depressing make us love our spurs.

You seem to have decided that he is the finished article already? Personally, I think there will inevitably be huge swings in his form, and as the season wears on there will many games where he will be out of his depth.

The danger is people like you who are treating him like the Messiah already, and when his form dips or his confidence nosedives, instead of realising that this very young player was training and playing in Division 3, less than a year ago, you will be probably just be calling him a flash in the pan.

That's not only on point regarding fans, but certainly also media. They pull players up the mountain top only to flog them off into the horizon when they've got a bad day.

I think there's a strong correlation between England's misfortunes in tournaments and the treatment of young players in the media- and fan-scape. Players are very much considered stock and clockwork nowadays.

You seem to have decided that he is the finished article already? Personally, I think there will inevitably be huge swings in his form, and as the season wears on there will be many games where he will be out of his depth.

When have I treated him like the messiah? Of course he's going to have dips in form. He is 18 years old. I'd rather he played for Tottenham though and had dips in form with us as opposed to wasting his time at Brighton and Hove Albion for the year. His development is much better suited with us. Hence why he isn't playing for our U21s or been sent out on loan.

His development is much better suited with us. Hence why he isn't playing for our U21s or been sent out on loan.

How do you know that? Has Eriksen, Townsend, Lamela, Carroll or Chadli developed under us?
Of the last 20 years, who can we brag about?

Kane and King......

We will see if Poch turns him into the player he looks like he can be, or if in 6 months, he is passing back to Lloris rather than having a shot..

How do you know that? Has Eriksen, Townsend, Lamela, Carroll or Chadli developed under us?

Kane and King......

We will see if Poch turns him into the player he looks like he can be, or if in 6 months, he is passing back to Lloris rather than having a shot..
Rose, Dier, Bentaleb, Mason have all certainly improved and developed under us. But yes, we'll see.

Rose, Dier, Bentaleb, Mason have all certainly improved and developed under us. But yes, we'll see.

Rose was out on loan until he was 23, Dier has been as efficient as when he joined us and Bentaleb and Mason go from hero to zero more often than I change my y-fronts.

Point being we are not exactly brimming with high quality academy talent, despite this new "kids" tag we have adopted for ourselves. Nor have we historically produced a string of successful talent.

Kane was also loaned a great deal, and when he burst through (pre Poch) he grabbed his chance and continued last season beyond belief.

But Spurs being Spurs decided to burn him out and let him carry the squad on his shoulders, rather than do everything we could in our power to actually support his development as a player. Now he just looks jaded and isolated.

So, laud our coaching all you want, but Bentaleb started the season like a complete amature again.

We also lauded our coaching and training and fitness.....yet here we are with the entire senior central midfield out injured after 5 games.

And look who´s next line to carry the squad. A 19yr old from the 3rd division. And you call that irrelevant.

Rose was out on loan until he was 23, Dier has been as efficient as when he joined us and Bentaleb and Mason go from hero to zero more often than I change my y-fronts.

Point being we are not exactly brimming with high quality academy talent, despite this new "kids" tag we have adopted for ourselves. Nor have we historically produced a string of successful talent.

Kane was also loaned a great deal, and when he burst through (pre Poch) he grabbed his chance and continued last season beyond belief.

But Spurs being Spurs decided to burn him out and let him carry the squad on his shoulders, rather than do everything we could in our power to actually support his development as a player. Now he just looks jaded and isolated.

So, laud our coaching all you want, but Bentaleb started the season like a complete amature again.

We also lauded our coaching and training and fitness.....yet here we are with the entire senior central midfield out.

And look who´s next line to carry the squad. A 19yr old from the 3rd division. And you call that irrelevant.

We are brimming with high quality academy talent. Kane doesn't look jaded and isolated, he's simply trying to do too much, usually what happens when you think too highly of yourself or probably think you're better than you are. I have no doubt Kanes feet will be planted on the ground again soon once he scores a competitive goal for us again for the first time in 4 months.

He did start poorly, you're not wrong, he also ended strongly before he got injured. Mason has been consistent all season. His best form last year was when he was partnered with defensive minded Capoue last season, no surprise to see he is excelling next to a defensive minded Dier this year.

I don't get where you're going with having an entire central midfield being out. Dier is available, Carroll is available, Alli is available, Mason is more than likely going to be available. In fact the ONLY central midfielder who has been ruled out is Bentaleb, which we knew anyway.

Genuine question, can you name a 19 year old with more potential in world football?
Let's not get carried away here mate!

Odegaard, Hojbjerg, Sandro, Munir, Halilovic, Martial, Mastour, Tielemans, Embolo, Meyer, Shaw, Neves, Coman, Adama Traore, Grealish.

All those players have the potential to become world class players, so is our Alli.

Let's not get carried away here mate!

Odegaard, Hojbjerg, Sandro, Munir, Halilovic, Martial, Mastour, Tielemans, Embolo, Meyer, Shaw, Neves, Coman, Adama Traore, Grealish.

All those players have the potential to become world class players, so is our Alli.
A lot of those don't even get games at their clubs though. Coman really isn't nothing special by the way. Saying that, someone must think he has something about him if he somehow gets games at Juventus and now finds himself on loan at Bayern.

Whilst I think a third of them could potentially be world class (Shaw, Tielemans, Embolo, Meyer) - I think the others will fall by the way side. Grealish? Really. Traore has the tools but he'd need to move away from Villa. I think the rest NEED game time. The likes of Sandro and Munir could either be the next Pedro or will end up flopping like Delefauo and Telo.

We are brimming with high quality academy talent
Please list

Kane doesn't look jaded and isolated, he's simply trying to do too much, usually what happens when you think too highly of yourself or probably think you're better than you are.

So you think Kane thinks he´s better than he is.....again please list this high quality talent of ours, as Kane seemingly is not on that list.

He did start poorly, you're not wrong, he also ended strongly before he got injured. Mason has been consistent all season. His best form last year was when he was partnered with defensive minded Capoue last season, no surprise to see he is excelling next to a defensive minded Dier this year.

Mason is not excelling at all. He is an average player, who wouldnt start in any of of so called rivals midfields. He should be on the bench. That is our problem here, with all these younger players...they are first choice.

I don't get where you're going with having an entire central midfield being out. Dier is available, Carroll is available, Alli is available, Mason is more than likely going to be available. In fact the ONLY central midfielder who has been ruled out is Bentaleb, which we knew anyway.

What are you talking about? Are you going to try and deny that Dembele, Eriksen, Mason and Dier have had injuries.

Stop splitting hairs and acting as if Mason and Dier being available means they was never actually injured, or that Eriksen being out doesnt count as he plays further forward.

And when did Carroll and Alli become senior central midfielders?

Kane and King......

I think we can claim developing a certain Gareth Bale.

Don't expect this to a popular post and i'm not one to get on young players backs but i thought Deli Alli was absolutely woeful for large parts of that match last night and so much broke down when the ball went to him , can see there is talent and potential within him but i really don't get the waxing about last nights showing apart from a couple of moments he was awful !

Look at me!!!!!

We also lauded our coaching and training and fitness.....yet here we are with the entire senior central midfield out injured after 5 games.

Because you can train and have a fitness regime dedicated to not getting knocks when scoring winning goals. Get off it.
Just because players spent extensive time loaned out at other clubs does not mean that they have progressed and made improvement here. To say players like Rose, Mason and Bentaleb have not made any progress or developed under this manager is stubborn and asinine.

Please list
Our high quality academy talent? Onomah, Winks, Pritchard, Kane, 2CV, Bentaleb, Mason, Veljkovic, Oduwa to name a few. Pretty much the majority of our first team squad.

So you think Kane thinks he´s better than he is.....again please list this high quality talent of ours, as Kane seemingly is not on that list.
I think he absolutely 100% believes he's much better than he is. Don't put words in my mouth or read sentences that haven't been wrote. Of course Kane is on the list of high quality talent we've produced.

Mason is not excelling at all. He is an average player, who wouldnt start in any of of so called rivals midfields. He should be on the bench. That is our problem here, with all these younger players...they are first choice.
Of course he's excelling. Whether you believe that to be higher than his natural ability so be it. I'm more than happy for him to start if games like the Sunderland one were of the norm. He probably wouldn't start in any of our rivals midfield, you're right. I also don't think Dier would but I wouldn't want him dropped or benched.

What are you talking about? Are you going to try and deny that Dembele, Eriksen, Mason and Dier have had injuries.
The most important word there being "had"

Stop splitting hairs and acting as if Mason and Dier being available means they was never actually injured, or that Eriksen being out doesnt count as he plays further forward.

Has it been confirmed Dier is injured? Can you provide evidence of this other than him continuing to play football after a slide tackle and then going off to give Winks some time on the pitch? Has Eriksen ever started a football game for us in central midfield?

And when did Carroll and Alli become senior central midfielders?

When they became part of the senior team funnily enough.

Back
Top Bottom