Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would love to see him playing a part this season but if he isn’t even going to make the bench most games then it would be better to sell him in January and put the money toward a CB.

There's almost always one player at every club Jose joins that he makes an example of, usually with good reason.

It may have been Ndombele but they've sorted that out.

Alli has not done himself any favours with his social media lifestyle and poor form hence it looks to be him.

Can't see a future for him here tbh.
I agree on the Mou point but Dele has 'earned' this from his performances the last few years. Should have happened sooner if it was to be a corrective measure. Now there's only 1 solution.

My concern with this is that it seems like a Danny Rose situation where Dele feels he should be going to RM or PSG when in reality he needs to go to Burnley or West Ham to learn fundamental skills and an understanding of the game that he does not have and has not worked on because I think things came very easy for him when Dembele, Eriksen and Kane did all the hard work for him and he just was able to clean up.

If you watch Dele closely he often doesn't know where to go, he struggles with passes because he struggles to read the game and where other players are going to go. He does the little flick on past defenders way too often because he can't see the more simple direct pass.

Someone earlier talked about Dele needing a system which allows him freedom and while I agree with that, it is more that he needs a system in which his poor positioning can be ignored and not hurt the team, and that is a very unlikely situation for him to find and if he isn't producing the big numbers he did earlier then it really cannot fit for any team.

I will not totally write him off for getting back close to what he was, but I don't see it happening for us and I don't see it happening unless he eats a huge piece of humble pie and is willing to not only work on the areas of the game he needs to improve but first admit that there are those areas and I am not sure he has done that yet, but that is based on watching him play and a few moments in the Amazon Doc so he certainly could have done that behind the scenes.
Holy shit, this is absolutely perfect. And the flicks and positioning parts are spot on and rarely mentioned. But it won't move the minds of many. I've been saying the same things for 5 years but folks like the goals and can easily ignore the other 89 minutes.

Now if only we could settle our striker issues...and the bacon (not fucking round!) and syrup (Vermont, of course) unpleasantness.

RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK

This thread was started Sep 20th during the last window activity. Already then people were sensing Dele may not be part of Mourinho's plans unless he upped his game. The window shut and the lad remained at the club. His appearances though have virtually dwindled to nothing. The thread was bumped to see if members had changed their views about the player and whether or not they thought he still had a future with us.
Hardly a subject deserved of your rather OTT remark :
"FFS this place is becoming more transfer obsessed than fucking SC"
I love you, Hagrid, just feel like too often this forum seems to focus on slagging off the players we do have, pining over players we don't have, and moaning about Levy not signing who we should have.

Dele is part of this squad - on paper the best squad Spurs have had in the modern era. Its up to him to knuckle down and win a spot on the team sheet. Hope he does, maybe he doesn't, can't we wait until Christmas to start "deciding" who to ship out and when? Dele certainly isn't going before the summer anyway.

I love you, Hagrid, just feel like too often this forum seems to focus on slagging off the players we do have, pining over players we don't have, and moaning about Levy not signing who we should have.

Dele is part of this squad - on paper the best squad Spurs have had in the modern era. Its up to him to knuckle down and win a spot on the team sheet. Hope he does, maybe he doesn't, can't we wait until Christmas to start "deciding" who to ship out and when? Dele certainly isn't going before the summer anyway.
:dierpochhug:
We can leave it until Christmas my friend but I think the powers that be could have already brought the axe down. Maybe a loan out would suit all concerned unless José is determined to offload the lad and get some money in.

Dele has done enough to justify some time from all of us to prove himself. Whether on not he has enough talent or the mindstate to step up to the plate given our current options is another question

Holy shit, this is absolutely perfect. And the flicks and positioning parts are spot on and rarely mentioned. But it won't move the minds of many. I've been saying the same things for 5 years but folks like the goals and can easily ignore the other 89 minutes.

Now if only we could settle our striker issues...and the bacon (not fucking round!) and syrup (Vermont, of course) unpleasantness.

RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK
TFC version of one flew over the cuckoos nest

How much time do you give him? He's been poor for at least 2 years.

I agree with you on the form, but he is is still young and has time on his side. I'm not saying if the right offer comes in, don't accept it, I just think the lad is entitled to a little bit of slack from us fans considering we all plauded him as a given first-team starter, who we all turned to in our hour of need not so long ago. Whether or not he has it in him is another question?

Last edited:
He is a player that runs a lot doing nothing, if he started to run doing something he could be a very useful player, but his game haven't changed in two years, in fact it changed a bit for the worse. I remember he was much more clever and creative player before, now I can't see him assisting and scoring as he's done before, it's just the same: take the ball, try to impress with a dribble, lose the ball or lose the ball holding on to the ball as he was alone on the pitch. Something is really wrong with this guy.

My concern with this is that it seems like a Danny Rose situation where Dele feels he should be going to RM or PSG when in reality he needs to go to Burnley or West Ham to learn fundamental skills and an understanding of the game that he does not have and has not worked on because I think things came very easy for him when Dembele, Eriksen and Kane did all the hard work for him and he just was able to clean up.

If you watch Dele closely he often doesn't know where to go, he struggles with passes because he struggles to read the game and where other players are going to go. He does the little flick on past defenders way too often because he can't see the more simple direct pass.

Someone earlier talked about Dele needing a system which allows him freedom and while I agree with that, it is more that he needs a system in which his poor positioning can be ignored and not hurt the team, and that is a very unlikely situation for him to find and if he isn't producing the big numbers he did earlier then it really cannot fit for any team.

I will not totally write him off for getting back close to what he was, but I don't see it happening for us and I don't see it happening unless he eats a huge piece of humble pie and is willing to not only work on the areas of the game he needs to improve but first admit that there are those areas and I am not sure he has done that yet, but that is based on watching him play and a few moments in the Amazon Doc so he certainly could have done that behind the scenes.
The thing is, at 24 years old and plying pro for 8 years, it's going to be mighty hard for him to change and reinvent himself.

In a perverse way Pochettino putting this raw unpolished 19 year old with some elite attributes, but also some huge flaws to be the free spirit in an otherwise quite regimented system hurt his all round development. All he had to do defensively was join in on the press and he could do that as he was an excellent athlete when he arrived.

Ball winning, recycling possession, resisting pressure, breaking the line, (all the standard midfield stuff) was all left to Dier/Wanyama, Dembele & Eriksen. Even Kane had more tasks to do to make the team work. Dele had two primary tasks, support runs into the box and the final pass. He was used in such away that it focused exclusively on his strengths and none of his weaknesses were worked on.

The thing is, at 24 years old and plying pro for 8 years, it's going to be mighty hard for him to change and reinvent himself.

In a perverse way Pochettino putting this raw unpolished 19 year old with some elite attributes, but also some huge flaws to be the free spirit in an otherwise quite regimented system hurt his all round development. All he had to do defensively was join in on the press and he could do that as he was an excellent athlete when he arrived.

Ball winning, recycling possession, resisting pressure, breaking the line, (all the standard midfield stuff) was all left to Dier/Wanyama, Dembele & Eriksen. Even Kane had more tasks to do to make the team work. Dele had two primary tasks, support runs into the box and the final pass. He was used in such away that it focused exclusively on his strengths and none of his weaknesses were worked on.
Agree, but what's sad is i don't think he has the maturity or desire to graft and add those things to his game. Those weaknesses need to first acknowledged (which i 'm not convinced he's done) and then actively worked on which i'm not sure he can do. Hopefully he can prove me and all the other doubters on here wrong.

Not having a wum, but where would he play? Is he a forward or attacking midfielder? I genuinely don't know anymore.

I'm just wondering who would have to get injured for him to start.
That’s my exact feelings with Dele, unless we play a formation for to suit him specifically, he’s a 3rd option at best anywhere he plays.

striker? I must rather Vinicius

left wing? Dele’s best position with our current formation but I’d rather see Stevie B there, much more versatile.

Right wing? He doesn’t play there much, but we’re stack there anyways with Bale/Lucas/Lamela

Attacking midfielder? Let’s hope GLC and TanGuy aren’t ever injured at the same time, Dele would be a massive downgrade to them. I much rather Lamela there than Dele tbh.

I think its a fair assumption that Dele's large salary and his transfer fee have already been spent. We aren't paying 100K a week+ for a 3rd choice midfielder who doesn't make the bench.

Daft selling him. Hell play Thursday and there will be injuries and hell be back in matchday squad

Yeah this is probably true but I’m not sure the player now wants to wait for that. He has looked pretty petulant. I really don’t know the answer and suspect only those that work with him every day do.

I think he needs a shake up behind the scenes though. He lives with his best mate who is also his manager, so I suspect, his yes man. That can’t be a professional working environment.

If he get minutes in the EL and doesn’t show the fight to win his place back then move him on , if he can rediscover his hunger for the game then he will be a valuable addition to the squad , sadly I don’t think he has it in him to fight and would be happy to be sold on and earn a decent wage ,
And let’s be honest who can blame him? Even if he gets a shit move to say Fulham he would still be on a £100k a week surely? Maybe it’s just all about the money for him and now he has made it he doesn’t try as hard , of course this is pure speculation but surely some players once they buy there big mansion and all the cars don’t care much for the game and more about the money?

Agree, but what's sad is i don't think he has the maturity or desire to graft and add those things to his game. Those weaknesses need to first acknowledged (which i 'm not convinced he's done) and then actively worked on which i'm not sure he can do. Hopefully he can prove me and all the other doubters on here wrong.
To add these things to your game you need to have training and play matches in roles that demand these things out of you... I highly doubt it's happened in 5 years., under either coaching staff.

This whole "it comes from within" is very overstated, and absolves the coaching staff of their responsibility, which is to develop players within their system. It only comes into play in extreme cases like Bentley or Adebayor. Otherwise the players are putting in the effort, some are just better/ more suited to the philosophy, and right now with Dele he's the odd man out.

This is more a case of Mourinho/Sacramento etc. taking a look at the overall profile of the squad and realising that N'Dombele, a far more talented player suits the need of the team much more and Dele has no real role in a 4-3-3, especially now Kane in playing false 9. Instead of acknowledging this, some are harping on about his attitude. AFAIC, It's a cop out and lacks proper analysis of what's happening here.

For those who say keep him would you be happy to get rid if we could bring in a quality CB with the funds? I’m still hoping he can come good but if we could get rid of dele and bring in Skriniar then that’s to good a opportunity to turn down

Back
Top Bottom