Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't think it's necessarily unfair on Dele. Maybe Jose treats him differently as he knows his usual methods are not working etc.. so he is hoping that this will give him a bit of a kick up the backside so to speak. Or he has seen enough of him to know he won't work or fit the system he wants to deploy.. so doesn't care about making comments about him publicly anymore..

Last edited:
What people dont understand is that the media made this story... Mourinho didnt just come out and say this stuff, a reporter asked him if he was angry with dele for the goal.. they know what they are doing ... i dont remember any reporter asking him about aurier against Leicester..

No, I don't like watching this team play football. It's not that far fetched to comprehend.

no offence mate, but no one gives a fuck. Most of us are so sick and tired of this club winning the square route of fuck all and letting the fans down every season, that we will take boring football, if it means trophies in the cabinet. I couldn’t give a shit how we do it, as long as Mourinho can work his magic and bring trophies to this club finally. Playing great football and getting nothing for it is so Spursy. Time for a mentality change.

Getting rid of the stupid beard & moustache combo would be a positive start to the New Year.

Is it a coincidence that his flicks & tricks only work when he's clean-shaven? I don't think so.

no offence mate, but no one gives a fuck. Most of us are so sick and tired of this club winning the square route of fuck all and letting the fans down every season, that we will take boring football, if it means trophies in the cabinet. I couldn’t give a shit how we do it, as long as Mourinho can work his magic and bring trophies to this club finally. Playing great football and getting nothing for it is so Spursy. Time for a mentality change.
I would take two seasons of boring low-block football if it meant a trophy. Any trophy. Longer than that and I would tire of it. But Mourinho has always been a three year manager, so I'm comfortable with that timeframe.

Mourinho is well out of order.

This is how he fell out with his own players in the past.

This is Mourinho's way of challenging his most talented players. Some players don't respond well to it and some do, but no doubt Dele needed to be challenged. The players he has dug out in the past are all a certain type of player, Ozil, Hazard, Martial, Pogba, Ndombele, they think they have a right to play because of their immense talent but they don't. They think because of their talent they need to be indulged and can take it easier than their less talented teammates.

Look at where Hazard is now. He's a fat lump collecting a huge salary from the Real Madrid massage table. Mourinho was right about him. Look at Pogba and Martial, how inconsistent and lazy they still are. Look at Ozil exiled from the Woolwich squad.

Dele did OK in the first 45 minutes against Stoke. Just OK. Is that enough to get carried away and start doing his dumb flicks at 1-0 up away in a quarter final? Mediocre players like Lucas don't get castigated in the same way because Mourinho knows they don't have the talent to give much more. Dele does, he has shown that in the past. His talent didn't just disappear.

He will almost certainly leave the club in January because he doesn't understand his circumstances, he doesn't understand that he only stayed in the team the last 2 seasons because Poch went soft in the head. Eriksen and Rose were in the same situation, playing shit and living off the past and Mourinho threw them out immediately. He was given a second chance because he's got huge talent and is still young, but he hasn't shown any self-awareness. He seems mystified by his absence from the first XI but it is not a mystery. Lamela came on after 2 months out and looked much livelier than him, how can Dele explain that? Feeling sorry for yourself is not a good excuse.

Correction, YOU don't give a fuck. (There are many who do, but that doesn't really matter).

Stop trying to hide behind the skirts of others to make you feel better or more worthy. Or involve the comments of others who share your views as "most of us". You haven't got a clue if it's "most fans" or just a small percentage. Just state that YOU don't care, just as I've said: "I don't like".

He will almost certainly leave the club in January because he doesn't understand his circumstances, he doesn't understand that he only stayed in the team the last 2 seasons because Poch went soft in the head. Eriksen and Rose were in the same situation, playing shit and living off the past and Mourinho threw them out immediately. He was given a second chance because he's got huge talent and is still young, but he hasn't shown any self-awareness. He seems mystified by his absence from the first XI but it is not a mystery. Lamela came on after 2 months out and looked much livelier than him, how can Dele explain that? Feeling sorry for yourself is not a good excuse.

From what I can see, Dele's been handling things okay. Not much public moaning while he was continuously left off the squad. Not just in the league, but even in cup games. Then, he gets a couple of minutes the last few games - has one good defensive play when he broke up a counter, and gets a chance yesterday. Put in an effort and had a couple of good chances - one of the players who looked most likely to score in 1st half. Had the turnover on the flick, but it went all the way back to the keeper before the attack came (I don't even know if you can call that a counter). Then gets chewed out by the manager on the field, and subbed out.

I do think match selection is the real sign; there's a 10% chance its STILL Mourinho mind games. If that's the case, I'd expect Dele at least on the bench against Wolves. If he's not, then yeah its over. You can argue he lost his chance at the beginning of the year, but I wouldn't say he's had a proper 'second chance' if it goes this way.

And what if we don't win anything?
I'd judge his tenure negatively, as I've said before. Mourinho not winning a trophy would mean the project failed on its own terms.

For now I am tolerating this because from what I've seen I believe we have improved from where we were last 18 months or so under Poch. We've clearly got an excellent chance in the league cup, and I would expect a deep push into the Europa league too.

And what if we don't win anything?
crowd riot GIF

This is Mourinho's way of challenging his most talented players. Some players don't respond well to it and some do, but no doubt Dele needed to be challenged. The players he has dug out in the past are all a certain type of player, Ozil, Hazard, Martial, Pogba, Ndombele, they think they have a right to play because of their immense talent but they don't. They think because of their talent they need to be indulged and can take it easier than their less talented teammates.

Look at where Hazard is now. He's a fat lump collecting a huge salary from the Real Madrid massage table. Mourinho was right about him. Look at Pogba and Martial, how inconsistent and lazy they still are. Look at Ozil exiled from the Woolwich squad.

Dele did OK in the first 45 minutes against Stoke. Just OK. Is that enough to get carried away and start doing his dumb flicks at 1-0 up away in a quarter final? Mediocre players like Lucas don't get castigated in the same way because Mourinho knows they don't have the talent to give much more. Dele does, he has shown that in the past. His talent didn't just disappear.

Fine but dispense the criticism privately. Doing it in public is possibly counter-productive and quite simply tacky.

I'd judge his tenure negatively, as I've said before. Mourinho not winning a trophy would mean the project failed on its own terms.

For now I am tolerating this because from what I've seen I believe we have improved from where we were last 18 months or so under Poch. We've clearly got an excellent chance in the league cup, and I would expect a deep push into the Europa league too.
"improved" We've improved from last season (Jose's first season) without a doubt but HE 'S set the bar so low it's hard not to have improved from it (Joint worst League position in over a decade, our lowest points tally in 12yrs, not getting into a 1/4 final or beyond for only the 2nd time in 15 seasons but we did get our first title challenge in a generation the other time we didn't get into a 1/4 final).

There's no evidence that we've improved from Poch's last season where we also got to a League Cup Semi-final and CL Final and finished in top 4 and we played really poorly that year. (We've only won half the League games we've played this season and we are currently on track/predicted to finish with 68pts this season, that total was bettered in all four of Poch's last seasons, we are closer to 13th spot that we are LFC at the top - Yes, this is an unpredictable season & I'm sure there are many more twists and turns still to be played out but in the cold light of day there is little evidence to suggest we are improved from Poch).

Back
Top Bottom