Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My take on the Dele issue is, what can it hurt? Could our attack be worse than it currently is? Would playing Dele take us from 1 shot in the first half against Brighton to 0? Throw him in against Chelsea and lets see what happens.

What we are seeing are people who laughed at the paucity of other clubs not so long ago seeing their own club performing like sh!t.

It's desperation calling for Alli but we are desperate at present.

I really could not give a flying fcuk about agendas. It would just be nice to understand how our mentality can be so fragile, our football so sterile and our belief so wafer thin.
As I said the other day, our best and most influential players just aren’t as good as we believe

My take on the Dele issue is, what can it hurt? Could our attack be worse than it currently is? Would playing Dele take us from 1 shot in the first half against Brighton to 0? Throw him in against Chelsea and lets see what happens.

I tend to agree but the problem is that there is almost no chance for this to happen.

Jose has backed himself into a corner with Dele. He has called him out publicly a number of occasions, there were the scenes in All of Nothing, and Jose is notoriously stubborn especially with players.

Maybe with a different coach they could find their way to working him back into the side, but Jose isn't like that. Whether it is tactics and formations or a player, Jose will keep going down one path regardless of how it is going just to make a point.

I don't think it is a footballing decision, I think it's a personal one.

Didn't he do similar at Madrid with Iker Casillas, decide he had too much pull within the squad and get rid of him.
If you are not familiar with the details involved, you should refrain from speaking with certainty on such issues.

AFAIK Mourinho's issues with Casillas was nothing like the current situation with Dele and had little to nothing to do with having too much influence in the squad.

Key contentions between Mourinho and Cassilas were (iirc)
- Casillas was never Mourinho's type of GK. He wasnt tall enough, didnt command his box and struggled with crosses, and, his distribution was poor. He was a great shotstopper, but has he aged and his reflexes dulled, his other shortcomings became more apparent.
- Casillas was Spanish NT captain and thus for the sake of this maintained close relationships with the Barcelona spanish players . Mourinho was against such cozy relationships e.g. you lose 5-0 and then go hug the opposition afterwards. To the extent that the non-spanish players felt Casillas (and other Spanish regulars) sucked up to the Barcelona players at their expense
- The final straw was that Casillas was (allegedly) leaking RM locker room stuff to his sports journalist wife (then GF) Sara Carbonero to help her career.

Still Mourinho never dropped Casillas and only signed Diego Lopez after Casillas was out injured for 3 month, but he also didnt restore Casillas after he returned (claiming purely football reasons). His claim was vindicated to an extent when Ancelotti left Casillas for only cup games while Lopez retained his #1 role in la liga.

Please let me know if any of that sounds like Dele's situation?

If you are not familiar with the details involved, you should refrain from speaking with certainty on such issues.

AFAIK Mourinho's issues with Casillas was nothing like the current situation with Dele and had little to nothing to do with having too much influence in the squad.

- Casillas was never Mourinho's type of GK. He wasnt tall enough, didnt command his box and struggled with crosses, and, his distribution was poor. He was a great shotstopper, but has he aged and his reflexes dulled, his other shortcomings became more apparent.
- Casillas was Spanish NT captain and thus for the sake of this maintained close relationships with the Barcelona spanish players . Mourinho was against such cozy relationships e.g. you lose 5-0 and then go hug the opposition afterwards. To the extent that the non-spanish players felt Casillas (and other Spanish regulars) sucked up to the Barcelona players at their expense
- The final straw was that Casillas was (allegedly) leaking RM locker room stuff to his sports journalist wife (then GF) Sara Carbonero to help her career.

Still Mourinho never dropped Casillas and only signed Diego Lopez after Casillas was out injured for 3 month, but he also didnt restore Casillas after he returned (claiming purely football reasons). His claim was vindicated to an extent when Ancelotti left Casillas for only cup games while Lopez retained his #1 role in la liga.

And the award for most patronising and incorrect opening paragraph goes to El Magnifico !
What a load of horseshit on a forum created of 90% opinions. Wind your neck in and stop this bollocks.

That social media "like" is only going to work against him. I have a lot of love for Dele, but he's a fucking bitch.

If Ndombele that fat fuck Ndombele can turn it around under Mou, despite talking quite a bit of shit last season.

Dele was also backed heavily by Jose at the start, it's not like he's just come in and decided "fuck dele" for no reason.

If Kane, Son and Ndombele can put aside their ego, why the fuck can't Dele?
A fucking bitch, wind your neck in prick.

First things first, Mourinho did drop Casillas for Adan and wanted to keep Adan in the team, except Adan spoiled it all by getting himself sent off. The spat ultimately cost Real 6 points.

Casillas and Victor Baia were pretty much the same height, Julio Cesar about an inch taller, so that's not really true either.

Digging Casillas out pissed off the Real team, with Pepe speaking out against Mourinho and promptly being dropped for his outburst, Mourinho's own words were "The problem happens when someone thinks he is above the rest". A man who was getting nothing but cheers at the Bernabeu while Mourinho was getting jeered.

So Jose was so petty he wanted to upset a player over his national frienships at a time when that team were the best in the World by some margin?

It may not be 100% the same, but Jose doesn't want anyone taking the limelight of him and his beliefs.
This being the prick that interrupted Son to tell him that he wasn't man of the match after he scored four goals.

Fucking pathetic.

How was your nursery class? Learn any new rhymes?
Nah mate. You're losing the battle and the war..just admit you were wrong about Jose. He has moments of ineptitude...it's fine cos sooner or later they will bin him.off then you'll have to find other things to bully and berate people about.
Not so funny when someone makes a stand and gives you a taste of your own medicine is it?

I disagree.

I think our 3 best players are as good as we think (Kane, Son and N'dombele). I think its the other starters we have massively overrated (bar Hojbjerg and Reggie).

If you have 3 in your team and win nothing then you are wrong mate and I say that with respect.

Kane and Son have had ample opportunity to show they are top of the crop and by that I mean in key games. Not done it.

Bizarrely Alli in his short period of being prime rump steak was closer to being that player.

Ndombele, let's see against City.

Last edited:
If he isn't in the squad for Chelsea i hope some journalists question Mourinho and can clarify the "injury" he's alleged to have.

I mean it's not as though we're that good he can't make the squad..

First things first, Mourinho did drop Casillas for Adan and wanted to keep Adan in the team, except Adan spoiled it all by getting himself sent off. The spat ultimately cost Real 6 points.

Casillas and Victor Baia were pretty much the same height, Julio Cesar about an inch taller, so that's not really true either.

Digging Casillas out pissed off the Real team, with Pepe speaking out against Mourinho and promptly being dropped for his outburst, Mourinho's own words were "The problem happens when someone thinks he is above the rest". A man who was getting nothing but cheers at the Bernabeu while Mourinho was getting jeered.

So Jose was so petty he wanted to upset a player over his national frienships at a time when that team were the best in the World by some margin?

It may not be 100% the same, but Jose doesn't want anyone taking the limelight of him and his beliefs.
This being the prick that interrupted Son to tell him that he wasn't man of the match after he scored four goals.

Fucking pathetic.
Had forgotten about the Adan game, but I dont see how it cost them 6pts as they lost only to Malaga (and the loss couldnt be attributed to Adan) and the red card he got against Sociedad was debatable. Adan starting ahead of Casillas happened in Mourinho's 3rd season, while the issues I pointed to had been accumulating since Mourinho took over.

You reference Baia and Ceaser like if they are templates for Mourinho's GK preferences. Jose himself has said that Cech was the type he liked. Pepe's issue was less about Casillas but being dropped for Varane (up till then he was one of Mourinho's staunchest supporter). RM have always had (and still have) their locker room issues, but both Iker and Mourinho had their supporters among the fans (of course outside of madrid, san iker was unanimous)

Whether Mourinho was being petty or not, (or who was in the right or wrong) is a different debate but that his issue with Casillas was not about Iker's having too much pull in the squad. He had issues with Benzema and Pipita as well, simply cos they werent his 'drogba-like' kind of CF.

Dele simply doesnt fit into Mourinho's preferred system. Mourinho is not willing to change the system to accomodate him and dele not being able/willing to modify his game to fit the system. Current situation is simply a consequence of both sides not being able to work out a compromise.

Had forgotten about the Adan game, but I dont see how it cost them 6pts as they lost only to Malaga (and the loss couldnt be attributed to Adan) and the red card he got against Sociedad was debatable. Adan starting ahead of Casillas happened in Mourinho's 3rd season, while the issues I pointed to had been accumulating since Mourinho took over.

You reference Baia and Ceaser like if they are templates for Mourinho's GK preferences. Jose himself has said that Cech was the type he liked. Pepe's issue was less about Casillas but being dropped for Varane (up till then he was one of Mourinho's staunchest supporter). RM have always had (and still have) their locker room issues, but both Iker and Mourinho had their supporters among the fans (of course outside of madrid, san iker was unanimous)

Whether Mourinho was being petty or not, (or who was in the right or wrong) is a different debate but that his issue with Casillas was not about Iker's having too much pull in the squad. He had issues with Benzema and Pipita as well, simply cos they werent his 'drogba-like' kind of CF.

Dele simply doesnt fit into Mourinho's preferred system. Mourinho is not willing to change the system to accomodate him and dele not being able/willing to modify his game to fit the system. Current situation is simply a consequence of both sides not being able to work out a compromise.
Blah blah. Jose is cutting off his nose to spite his face

That social media "like" is only going to work against him. I have a lot of love for Dele, but he's a fucking bitch.

If Ndombele that fat fuck Ndombele can turn it around under Mou, despite talking quite a bit of shit last season.

Dele was also backed heavily by Jose at the start, it's not like he's just come in and decided "fuck dele" for no reason.

If Kane, Son and Ndombele can put aside their ego, why the fuck can't Dele?
He liked the post - knowing people would notice - because he didn´t get his move to PSG. It´s a "non-official" way of weakening his boss - nothing serious, but not really what you would expect from a good professional. Whatever you think about Dele as a player and his History with Spurs, it shows childish behavior.

And bad timing too, as we just suffered our second defeat in a row and the team is broken. In my opinion, this should be a moment to deal with things with a bit more empathy.

Last edited:
When JM finally runs the club into the ground and his replacement comes in DA will be bought in from the cold with a point to prove and get back to his best

Hopefully he’s still here when that happens cos I think we’ll look daft if he fucks off and starts tearing it up again.

Such a waste when he’s behind moura and lamela in the pecking order who are so bang average it’s painful

Back
Top Bottom