Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

He's a limited player who we could easily upgrade. Hopefully someone is willing to take a punt on him this summer and we get a decent fee to spend on someone technically proficient so we can work towards controlling games again.

In all likelihood he stays another season before we get rid.

1 There will be lists of players at the end of the season I would not want to leave. Son & Kane are on that list.
2 There are then lists of players that the player has a contract that will not be bettered elsewhere and like Rose he will refuse to leave.
3 The rest are up for grabs and can leave if an acceptable offer comes in. Please let Sanchez & Sissoko get an offer.
Now Dele has moved off list 1 but is probably on list 2. If Mourinho stayed he might have wanted out but he may prefer to take his chances with the new Manager as I doubt any club bigger than us will want him, meaning he is taking a drop.
I may be wrong and if he falls into list 3 then ok he can go.
However whatever anyone at the club or fans want if a player has a contract it is up to them if they leave.

asterdroid

White Hart Pain
1 There will be lists of players at the end of the season I would not want to leave. Son & Kane are on that list.
2 There are then lists of players that the player has a contract that will not be bettered elsewhere and like Rose he will refuse to leave.
3 The rest are up for grabs and can leave if an acceptable offer comes in. Please let Sanchez & Sissoko get an offer.
Now Dele has moved off list 1 but is probably on list 2. If Mourinho stayed he might have wanted out but he may prefer to take his chances with the new Manager as I doubt any club bigger than us will want him, meaning he is taking a drop.
I may be wrong and if he falls into list 3 then ok he can go.
However whatever anyone at the club or fans want if a player has a contract it is up to them if they leave.
He should be happy at a smaller club. Less pressure, lower workload (based on shorter cup runs and no European games)

Why would he want that? I would think he wants his England place back and he needs to be a first team regular at a good team for that.

If he wants to fight for an England place then the likes of Everton, Burnley or Villa might well be the best place for him. If he’s a bigger fish in a small pond with less competition for a place then he’s more likely to get regular game time.

We'd best hope that Dele can capture some of his old form over the next few weeks because there's no chance he's let go in the summer. I could go either way on it myself, but you get the feeling Levy sees him as a real star and if he's ever to be sold it won't be now with his career at its lowest ebb.

I thought it was a typical Dele performance against Sheff United. Lots of sloppy moments and poor touches, but at times lively. We either need to give him a proper run of games to find some form or forget about him. Needs to fuck the dreds off though either way.

I’m not sure I agree with that. He always looks in top top condition, so he’s obviously working hard on fitness and diet etc. By farting around, you mean the light hearted stuff? No bad thing in a dressing room IMO, look at what Gazza did for team
morale (granted he didn’t look after his fitness / diet).

a good coach would get a lot more out of Dele. His finishing and reactive thinking in the box are excellent, he also nicks the ball well through quick feet and turns the ball over.

when he drifts into the middle third it unravels.... sloppy (risky) passing, losing the ball etc. Drill him to play percentages in the middle third and explode in the final third. Will never be a good midfielder
Spot on, and Dele was prime when his runs, and movement were rewarded with passes from the likes of Kane and Ericsson. I feel that he definitely suffered when CE left, and we had to play a different system as a result. Definitely too lightweight, and not instinctive enough to be a CAM.

Anyone writing off Dele just haven't a clue IMO. Dele has been poor and form dipped at a time everyone else did. He has hardly played for us in the last year after being put on a pedestal by Jose when he first arrived.

If you honestly think he's finished and won't go and bag double figure goals for another good team you're mistaken. If we had played him all year and we were still poor and he had no goals fair enough but to be played so infrequently and people expect him to just be brilliant. Look at Bale when he first arrived, man looked a shell of himself.

Dele in not match fit and has had his confidence shattered by firstly feeling guilt on Poch being sacked like the rest of the squad, then being put into the spotlight by Mourinho and despite starting well he was then targeted.

Expectations on this man is just way to high IMO and he's one of those players that for me is better when the players around him are doing their jobs. Look at Lingard at West Ham, bit of confidence and he's shining now. You're blind if you can't see Dele has no match fitness and shattered on confidence.
This is the triumph of imagination over experience

This is the triumph of imagination over experience
Lol I can't believe the amount of fans just moving Dele on. He's hardly played all season, he was a large part of our good years when Poch was around.

He has dropped in form like the rest of the team but the difference is hes played less minutes than Vinicius so never had a run to try and fix things.

Are we honestly so far up ourselves that we think Dele isnt good enough for us?

Trippier, Walker, Eriksen, Foyth I can probably name more, all having a good time outside of our club yet Dele isn't good enough to have made a difference in the shit show we've seen this season?

Confidence man why can't people understand this its the defining factor most of the time in form. I use Lingard again because he's similar to Dele. Media loved him, taken on by England, dip in form and everyone is on to them. Lose their place in national team and their first teams but it always coincides with a dip in the clubs overall form. Funnily enough both players lost form completely under Mourinho.

Dele will go to a top European team and be playing champions league and you guys will scratch your heads wondering why he couldn't do it for us.

Guarantee he has a good finish to the season, come back to me in 4 games time.

Lol I can't believe the amount of fans just moving Dele on. He's hardly played all season, he was a large part of our good years when Poch was around.

He has dropped in form like the rest of the team but the difference is hes played less minutes than Vinicius so never had a run to try and fix things.

Trippier, Walker, Eriksen, Foyth I can probably name more, all having a good time outside of our club yet Dele isn't good enough to have made a difference in the shit show we've seen this season?

Confidence man why can't people understand this its the defining factor most of the time in form. I use Lingard again because he's similar to Dele. Media loved him, taken on by England, dip in form and everyone is on to them. Lose their place in national team and their first teams but it always coincides with a dip in the clubs overall form. Funnily enough both players lost form completely under Mourinho.

Dele will go to a top European team and be playing champions league and you guys will scratch your heads wondering why he couldn't do it for us.

I am sorry but the joke’s on you. He hasn’t done it for us for a long time. When he gets a chance to play he seems to more often be ok or worse. He doesn’t seem hungry. How many more years do we give him?

I am sorry but the joke’s on you. He hasn’t done it for us for a long time. When he gets a chance to play he seems to more often be ok or worse. He doesn’t seem hungry
Time will tell.

As I said, expecting him to never play and then play very well making an appearance once a month, usually in a match of less importance or poor level, after taking this club to a champions league final, top 4 consistently, you wouldn't be very motivated either to play a europa league 2nd leg or group match. Or against low league teams in fa or league cups. These guys are humans and train everyday so staying motivated for 90 mins the odd match you're chosen after the previous points about the level you've been playing is surely just constantly demotivating.

I remember years ago being slated for wanting Alderweireled and I had a strong case why he would be a perfect fit and was honestly laughed off the forum.

I don't know what he has done to illicit such hatred from his own fans - it's strange because his name remains one of the most frequently sung at games by the match going support (been to both matches this seasons that have allowed fans in for reference)

Top Bottom