Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think he sees himself as a footballer. He's a brand. I doubt he has any interest in football ahead of clothing and fashion and the myriad other things he fills his time with.

Sad but it happens, he's not the first young player to lose their way.
hes defo lost hunger, i do think hes so poor at the basics though that it was a matter of time before his little hot streak faded out. its been like 4 years now of utter shit...4 years at 100k a week for THAT!

if he was technically competent like youd expect a professional footballer to be, he wouldnt be anywhere near as poor as he is now...this fraud cant even pass a simple ball cleanly. i always worry when you get players who cant really hit a ball too, thats the first sign to me they are technically incompetent..i cant think of any genuine quality footballers who couldn't really strike a ball with good power behind it.

This lad was good at getting on the end of a long ball, finding space in the box, could show a good first touch and finish difficult chances - but would also miss plenty of sitters. They were his qualities and I believe Conte asked him to show that tonight, not playing CM like Nuno had him.

We no longer have Alderweireld's long balls, nor an Eriksen picking him out unmarked in a busy 18 yard box. He doesn't find a yard to take on a long shot anymore which is likely related to very low confidence.

Because he plays CAM I think people expect him to create, but I never saw that as his core game. His quality was(is?) his finishing which is massively dependent on positioning, chances provided and confidence.

Tonight he was up against that blond lad wearing #21 (had to Google him of course, Zan Karnicnik, 27, 4 caps for Slovenia) who must have had the game of his life. He set the tone in the 2nd minute beating Dele to a ball he had no right to really, seeing it out comfortably for a goal kick. He went on to win everything it felt like especially against Dele, and got Sessegnon his first yellow.

Dele did put himself around tonight, found himself arriving late in the box, finding a bit of space, threaded a couple of balls, but too often seemed to be trying to run in behind the back line leaving his area of the field completely vacant. I don't think his team mates trust him like they used to and often seem to avoid passing to him - arguably with good reason.

He did show his other trademark a few times though, which are his petulant complaints to his team mates - often aided by throwing his arms out (see below - the guy on the penalty spot)
dele.jpg

There's no doubt he has fallen off a cliff in terms of his level, but I don't think he was as terrible as some suggest tonight. He certainly didn't have a good game with his most memorable attacking moment for me being his scuffed left footed cross which went nowhere near anything of any use, and defensively allowing that number 21 to skip past him (as Dele hung out his back leg to look like an attempted tackle) only to move forward and record an assist for the first goal.

But the praise I will allow him is that he did find himself in good positions on several occasions which honestly on another night with higher quality passing could have seen him bag a brace.

He turned into a shadow after the red card formation shuffle really, and looked too tired to competitively continue whilst suitably disappointed for being hooked off not long into the 2nd half.

Last night I didn't see the write off many are describing and did in fact see some of the things I remember him doing well in his early seasons. Things need to be going well for him as his game simply doesn't offer enough away from his limited (but potentially valuable) core qualities.

I don't see him getting a run of games or subsequently a flurry of goals anytime soon unfortunately for all of us - but not for the lack of his effort in my seemingly unpopular opinion.

Conte: "I have found players that want to work and have great commitment but sometimes it is not enough"
For me this sums up Dele right now.

This lad was good at getting on the end of a long ball, finding space in the box, could show a good first touch and finish difficult chances - but would also miss plenty of sitters. They were his qualities and I believe Conte asked him to show that tonight, not playing CM like Nuno had him.

We no longer have Alderweireld's long balls, nor an Eriksen picking him out unmarked in a busy 18 yard box. He doesn't find a yard to take on a long shot anymore which is likely related to very low confidence.

Because he plays CAM I think people expect him to create, but I never saw that as his core game. His quality was(is?) his finishing which is massively dependent on positioning, chances provided and confidence.

Tonight he was up against that blond lad wearing #21 (had to Google him of course, Zan Karnicnik, 27, 4 caps for Slovenia) who must have had the game of his life. He set the tone in the 2nd minute beating Dele to a ball he had no right to really, seeing it out comfortably for a goal kick. He went on to win everything it felt like especially against Dele, and got Sessegnon his first yellow.

Dele did put himself around tonight, found himself arriving late in the box, finding a bit of space, threaded a couple of balls, but too often seemed to be trying to run in behind the back line leaving his area of the field completely vacant. I don't think his team mates trust him like they used to and often seem to avoid passing to him - arguably with good reason.

He did show his other trademark a few times though, which are his petulant complaints to his team mates - often aided by throwing his arms out (see below - the guy on the penalty spot)
dele.jpg

There's no doubt he has fallen off a cliff in terms of his level, but I don't think he was as terrible as some suggest tonight. He certainly didn't have a good game with his most memorable attacking moment for me being his scuffed left footed cross which went nowhere near anything of any use, and defensively allowing that number 21 to skip past him (as Dele hung out his back leg to look like an attempted tackle) only to move forward and record an assist for the first goal.

But the praise I will allow him is that he did find himself in good positions on several occasions which honestly on another night with higher quality passing could have seen him bag a brace.

He turned into a shadow after the red card formation shuffle really, and looked too tired to competitively continue whilst suitably disappointed for being hooked off not long into the 2nd half.

Last night I didn't see the write off many are describing and did in fact see some of the things I remember him doing well in his early seasons. Things need to be going well for him as his game simply doesn't offer enough away from his limited (but potentially valuable) core qualities.

I don't see him getting a run of games or subsequently a flurry of goals anytime soon unfortunately for all of us - but not for the lack of his effort in my seemingly unpopular opinion.

Conte: "I have found players that want to work and have great commitment but sometimes it is not enough"
Honestly cant see where you think he puts in the effort. One or 2 runs doesnt mean a good effort. Shambling about is how id describe it and dont even think thats a word

Honestly cant see where you think he puts in the effort. One or 2 runs doesnt mean a good effort. Shambling about is how id describe it and dont even think thats a word
I didn't see the game last night lucky for me but Dele's time is up he looks like he plays with concrete in his boots everything is so slow with him these days.
He reminds me of the fellow who turns up to the 5 -aside game with all the good gear and thinks he is Gazza and keeps trying stupid step overs and passes but cant do them because he is sh1t.

dele.jpg

He was fucking dog turd.

A long long post of half assed ‘analysis’ can’t change what we actually saw.

I don't think he sees himself as a footballer. He's a brand. I doubt he has any interest in football ahead of clothing and fashion and the myriad other things he fills his time with.

Sad but it happens, he's not the first young player to lose their way.
He's dropped off anyone's radar though. People are like, oh yeah I forgot Dele Alli exists. Without football he's nothing, he won't be a brand unless he has success on the pitch

Jose is done as a manager at the top level and a prick of a man, but he can still get shit right sometimes, in Alli's case the writing was on the wall under Pochettino, made even clearer under Jose, ultra super duper clear under Nuno and now is basically coming out the wall and smacking our fans in the face.

We're going to struggle badly to find a buyer.

Agree, hopefully loan to Toon in Jan, he pulls off a mini-run of form, they get suckered into giving us at least a few panini stickers for him...

I really wanted Dele to have a barn stormer of a game but it just wont happen anymore, he needs to move on , I'm sure Fortnight FC would take him

Many a truth spoken in jest, think Fortnight (etc) already has taken him.

He plays like my nephew, just dragged off an all-night x-box session in his room to play outside.

Should be sold based on that hairstyle alone.

It's his only saving grace, for me ATM, at least you know there some creativity left in him!!!

But, think you do that shit when on a top run of form, that feels more like a contrived Instagram thing, rather than a nod to cultural freedom or any deep stuff some may take dreads and colour them for...

Utterly dreadful footballer.

Style of play​

Early in his career, Dele was widely considered one of the best young midfielders of his generation,[91][92][93] and won PFA Young Player of the Year two years running.[94] He was praised for his all-round skillset and his goalscoring prowess, particularly when playing as a second striker.[95] Dele's then-manager, Mauricio Pochettino, said in 2017: "In the box, he looks like a striker, and outside the box, he plays like a midfielder." Rafael van der Vaart said of Alli that he is "fast, fluid and has a great skill set",[96] while Frank Lampard praised Alli's intelligence in his ability "to get into the box without being marked".[97] However, Dele's form faded from 2018 onwards, resulting in him losing his place in the England team in 2019.[98]

37 Caps by 23

2x PFA Young player of the year

Fell of a fucking cliff!!!

Back
Top Bottom