Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

infinitumNo different to what 90% of this board was saying about him. Read back into this thread for confirmation of that. It's not exactly kind to him...

It's easy to be wise and considerate now but very few were so charitable when he was in his slump.
There's no winners here and the light being turned on just sends everyone scuttling for the shadows.

Only the club would have any idea as to the truth but as for as some kind of reckoning/investigation? Forget about that.

Enough with the handwringing unless you intend you continue that perspective ad-infinitum. What matters now surely is what happens next.

Fair fucks to Dele coming out with this. Takes a brave person to admit your problems and deal with it. The poor lad seems as if he's only had stability in his life throughout his teens and when Poch and his team were here. No wonder he's having a rough time.

On a side note - Sky Bet sponsoring a programme about mental health and addiction... The world is fucked up place. Might as well have been sponsored by a pharmaceutical company advertising sleeping tablets.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I've worked in a medical department at a professional football club.

I think because it's relevant to my professional career this is probably what I will take away the most aside from the mental health issues Dele talks about.

There will be a bigger inquest and probably an official investigation started by the PFA and the medical boards into this now. But there might be people wondering how and why medical professionals at football clubs are not able to stop use of prescription drugs before it gets to the point of misuse and addiction.

There's a very fine line and I'm very glad Dele has re-iterated that he acknowledged that he wasn't seeking help even though others were there to provide it. I'm sure the medical staff at Spurs and Everton would have tried to make a connection with him. He seeked out sleeping pills from external sources that is out of the clubs control. A lot of players at the top end of the level have access to private doctors, often this is well regulated and there is a team of medical professionals from the parent club, private consultants and the players family/personal team there to make decisions. But it's very easy for this decision process to be sidelined into elicit pathways and it has happened numerous times in other sports e.g. Cycling, athletics, baseball, American Football

I've seen first hand lower in the football league how players are addicted to supplements not just sleeping pills. I have to say despite footballs global exposure, it's a relatively clean sport, more than expected. However, the demands placed on players are so high it forces them to take decisions beyond their control. When you combine this with the mental pressures, you've basically created a perfect viscous circle.

Unfortunately I suspect the authorities give as much of a shit about player welfare as they do about reducing ticket prices. As long as the money keeps flowing in they won’t care.

Fair fucks to Dele coming out with this. Takes a brave person to admit your problems and deal with it. The poor lad seems as if he's only had stability in his life throughout his teens and when Poch and his team were here. No wonder he's having a rough time.

On a side note - Sky Bet sponsoring a programme about mental health and addiction... The world is fucked up place. Might as well have been sponsored by a pharmaceutical company advertising sleeping tablets.

I spotted this as well.. You really couldn't make it up could you.

No different to what 90% of this board was saying about him. Read back into this thread for confirmation of that. It's not exactly kind to him...

It's easy to be wise and considerate now but very few were so charitable when he was in his slump.

True but Neville and Sky are getting praise for the interview.

True but Neville and Sky are getting praise for the interview.

Couldn't care less mate if they are getting praise or not. I'm not a fan of Sky, but am glad someone took the initiative ( however it eventuated ), to bring to light the kids trauma.

It was a hard watch.

Hindsight and all, the drop off in his game was so significant, yet I can honestly say I was one of those who thought he was just a spoilt brat...

How wrong I was. We rush to judgement of anyone who comes between our pursuit of football glory.

Wishing the kid all the best.

Said it before. Will say it again.. Mourinho was a cancer.
Tell me something, who at the time was saying what Mourinho said here was wrong? Nobody that I can remember. I'm sure if he had any inkling of what was really going on, there would have been a different approach. Like sending him straight to rehab and the whole club would have been supportive.

Tell me something, who at the time was saying what Mourinho said here was wrong? Nobody that I can remember. I'm sure if he had any inkling of what was really going on, there would have been a different approach. Like sending him straight to rehab and the whole club would have been supportive.

Quite..... Mourinho isn't the story here.

Back
Top Bottom