Director of Football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why wouldn't I be serious?

I don't see how things would be different.

DOF - "We need to buy player X"
Levy - "They want too much for him, next...."

Isn't that similar to what happens now?
Because the director knows the transfer budget, leaving Levy to focus on what he does best- expanding the commercial income of the club.

Shows how much Spurs are on my mind. One of my WhatsApp group was talking about a press conference at 4pm, I immediately thought that it would be Daniel announcing Campos, not Boris re further restrictions
🤭

Our biggest and most important signing has to be a director of football.

We dont just need 3 or 4 players. We need about 12. We simply have no depth.

We also cant keep shelling out 50m a player. We need to find these people before they become too expensive.

Why would a DOF be any different to what we have currently?

A Sporting Director can be the continuity. You can sack a manager but with a top Sporting Director who understands football from scouting to the philosophy he can be the one to take charge implementing the scouting, the style, the recruitment.

So if the manager is sacked or leaves you don’t have to replace the whole squad, if you have players that suit the style you can bring in another coach.

It is the football vision of the club and that shouldn’t be Levy who is a brilliant businessman but not a football visionary.

Our biggest and most important signing has to be a director of football.

We dont just need 3 or 4 players. We need about 12. We simply have no depth.

We also cant keep shelling out 50m a player. We need to find these people before they become too expensive.

100% agree. The next signing has to be a DOF. And sort the scouting network out. Then buy players.

100% agree. The next signing has to be a DOF. And sort the scouting network out. Then buy players.

Easily. I’ve been banging this drum since Mitchell left.

Failure to sign a striker and defensive midfielder in January fucked us as much as the Kane and son injuries. Someone in charge of transfers WITH A PLAN would have had those players identified and worked on. We did nothing but middle through not addressing the problem positions.

Sorry I'm struggling.

Manager sees a player or three that he believes will improve his squad. He gives the names and has a discussion with Levy and he goes off to the other club(s) to try and get a deal done.

Why would adding a DOF to that process change anything and/or make it more successful?
Because a DOF works 100% with player recruitment and player sales. A DOF leads the scouting team, complies reports that then go to the manager (Mourinho) and he can pick from that. Or Jose can suggest a player for the DOF to look at and he gets report from the DOF on if he fits the clubs model, style of play and such. He then goes and negotiates a potential deal if we want the player.

The key point being putting someone in charge of player recruitment, sales and ensuring that youth players move into first team football (either with us or on loan) that can have that as their job/focus area. Instead of the current setup where Levy does this in between all his other duties.

Levy gets to focus on his strength (being a business man)
Jose gets to focus on training and developing the team.
The Sporting Director takes care of ins and outs from the first team.

Successful clubs with the president/chairman in charge of recruitment are very rare (Basically Real Madrid and Lyon).

I assume that we also use external scouts/freelancers as well. And stats companies like OptaJoe also do scouting for various clubs so we probably have a deal with one of those.

A lot of modern scouting is connections. And sporting directors often have more of those in the relevant field than chairmen.
Got you.

Can you tell that I'm an old cunt?

Poch did not want a director of football hopefully Jose does. Poch has stagnated the careers of Walker Peters and Skipp who both should have on loan at a championship club for the last12 months at least. Our entire set up regarding youth football were wrong( see Chelsea for the correct way to run an academy). Young premier league players at top 6 clubs are not going to go from academy football to premier league and make a difference.
CHELSEA?????????

They got a transfer ban for the way they ran their academy.

Agree with your general point though.

the notes from thst meeting with levy touched on recruitment
unless ive mis-understood basically

Hitchin and Mourinho choose players they want
take the list to levy and he decides/tries which ones we can get

At least we would have one. Didn’t Poch basically fuck the scouts off?
According to Transfermarkt our scouting department consists of 3 people. One of which is the head of our academy.

Steve Hitchen, our suppossed head scout is not even listed. So it might be a bit out of date tbf.

The way

Seems a bit small to me. 3 scouts for a club our size?
I assume that we also use external scouts/freelancers as well. And stats companies like OptaJoe also do scouting for various clubs so we probably have a deal with one of those.

A lot of modern scouting is connections. And sporting directors often have more of those in the relevant field than chairmen.

At least we would have one. Didn’t Poch basically fuck the scouts off?

We still had the same scouts lead by Steve Hitchen and head of youth John McDermott.

Poch had the final say on players but it was up to Levy to get the deal done. It was a round table with Hitchen, Poch, and Levy. That we got Jack Clarke in...and then out on loan probably says a bit about how well that ran.

A DOF would help things providing it was the right person. But to be fair there are so many metrics involved and with the prices attached it is a much wider team activity.

What is a complete crock of shit (for whatever reason) is that with all the hundreds of strikers out there in the world we haven't managed to track down a single one in how many windows now? Shirley a DOF would be planning out the next three windows in advance.

Marc Overmars is leaving his role as sporting director at Ajax in the summer.

Gooner past aside this is tempting.
He is a good sporting director and knows how to build good teams on a budget.

I always find it hard to put that aside. If only we would know that it works, because it would piss off the Gooners.

If there are other alternatives, I'd rather have someone who is Gooner-free.

Back
Top Bottom