Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What qualities are people seeing that make us think he’ll be the ideal wing back under Conte? I haven’t watched him a bunch but he doesn’t appear that technically gifted. He’s athletic but I’m not seeing supremely fast. He really looks a lot like Royal. So if we swap him for Royal I’m pretty sure we’ve atleast gotten worse in the short term. Royal has his limitations but he got better as the year progressed and showed he can play against the big boys while Spence was playing in the championship. In Conte and Paratici I trust but I hope this is more of one for the future. Or maybe this is all about the homegrown.

Romano saying this isn’t a done deal yet. Lad could be good but I’d have preferred a ready made RB. Spurs reverting back to type on this one - buy young with a potentially high ceiling.

I'm hoping after the Ndombele fiasco we're doing our due diligence on players' attitudes. And structuring their contracts so they're incentive based rather than guaranteed money week in week out.

I'm hoping...
Yes, you'd hope. And the salary will be nowhere near Ndombele levels. He wouldn't be the first player to fall out with Warnock to be fair.

What qualities are people seeing that make us think he’ll be the ideal wing back under Conte? I haven’t watched him a bunch but he doesn’t appear that technically gifted. He’s athletic but I’m not seeing supremely fast. He really looks a lot like Royal. So if we swap him for Royal I’m pretty sure we’ve atleast gotten worse in the short term. Royal has his limitations but he got better as the year progressed and showed he can play against the big boys while Spence was playing in the championship. In Conte and Paratici I trust but I hope this is more of one for the future. Or maybe this is all about the homegrown.
Yes, reminds me of Royal too but with a higher ceiling. He's homegrown and won't lose value, so worth a gamble in my opinion.

Putting aside questions of attitude or PL/championship. The fact that he seems to have good composure in front of goal will help him succeed in Conte's system.

The height will hopefully also be useful on set pieces.

He’s far better technically than Royal.

Can he defend? Or is he a Doherty-style wingback?
Very much like walker when we bought him raw with rapid pace (good recovery speed) not the finished article.
But we saw the improvement in Doherty after he looked shit before Conte arrived

Spence has a lot of potential but he’s very raw. I’m sure under Conte he’ll develop well but surely he’s just seen as a prospect. I can’t imagine he’ll be starting. Which raises the question of who will start. Royal did improve towards the end of the season but if anyone thinks he’s good enough to start for us, they’re laughing. Doherty went through a decent patch of form before his injury, but given that it was only a patch + his age. Is he really going to be starting?

I’m definitely worried about the RWB position. WBs are integral to Conte’s brand of football. We can’t afford to not bring in the best possible option.

Again. Not shitting on Spence at all. I’m sure he’ll turn into a good player but he isn’t at this level yet.

The fact that some of you are whining about Spence makes me think you don’t trust Contes ability to mould players to be better. Spence is basically like Dele when we bought him. Young talent with huge potential. Look how his first few seasons went.

Now instead of an unproven coach in Poch to mentor him Spence has the best coach in the world playing a system that suits him best. Go cry some tears for your “proven” RBs somewhere else.

The fact that some of you are whining about Spence makes me think you don’t trust Contes ability to mould players to be better. Spence is basically like Dele when we bought him. Young talent with huge potential. Look how his first few seasons went.

Now instead of an unproven coach in Poch to mentor him Spence has the best coach in the world playing a system that suits him best. Go cry some tears for your “proven” RBs somewhere else.
No one is doubting Conte’s ability to “mould players to be better”. What people are doubting is whether or not we should be relying on a very raw, unproven, young and inexperienced Spence alongside a below average Royal and Doherty to manage the RWB position if we’re going to try and compete for things next season.

Spence looks like he has a great deal of potential but we would be mad to think that he’ll be able to step up to the required level overnight. It will take time. Similar to how Sessegnon is taking time. Perisic will work wonders for Sess’ development imo. We just need a RWB equivalent for Spence and we’re laughing.

No one is doubting Conte’s ability to “mould players to be better”. What people are doubting is whether or not we should be relying on a very raw, unproven, young and inexperienced Spence alongside a below average Royal and Doherty to manage the RWB position if we’re going to try and compete for things next season.

Spence looks like he has a great deal of potential but we would be mad to think that he’ll be able to step up to the required level overnight. It will take time. Similar to how Sessegnon is taking time. Perisic will work wonders for Sess’ development imo. We just need a RWB equivalent for Spence and we’re laughing.
Like I’ve said multiple times there is literally no one else available in the RWB position for us to get out there. We are not getting Hakimi and the only others people suggest are some random Ligue 1 and Serie A players. If we are going to get a “proven” player they should be proven in the English leagues unless they are world class and we aren’t getting world class at that position this summer. Nobody else available is better than what we have in Emerson and Doherty anyways.

RWB is absolutely the weakest position in the transfer market this summer.

Like I’ve said multiple times there is literally no one else available in the RWB position for us to get out there. We are not getting Hakimi and the only others people suggest are some random Ligue 1 and Serie A players. If we are going to get a “proven” player they should be proven in the English leagues unless they are world class and we aren’t getting world class at that position this summer. Nobody else available is better than what we have in Emerson and Doherty anyways.

RWB is absolutely the weakest position in the transfer market this summer.
That’s a valid point. If only we still had Trippier.

:contehandshead:

Spence has a lot of potential but he’s very raw. I’m sure under Conte he’ll develop well but surely he’s just seen as a prospect. I can’t imagine he’ll be starting. Which raises the question of who will start. Royal did improve towards the end of the season but if anyone thinks he’s good enough to start for us, they’re laughing. Doherty went through a decent patch of form before his injury, but given that it was only a patch + his age. Is he really going to be starting?

I’m definitely worried about the RWB position. WBs are integral to Conte’s brand of football. We can’t afford to not bring in the best possible option.

Again. Not shitting on Spence at all. I’m sure he’ll turn into a good player but he isn’t at this level yet.
Wouldn't be surprised if he starts the first game but depends if we bring in another RWB

Back
Top Bottom