Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

im a little concerned Conte will just double down on Persic as RWB when Doherty doesn't play or is not very good.
I feel Conte is being a little stubborn regarding Spence, it's not like he's super raw like Pape Sarr. He's proven himself against prem opponents, and been an outstanding leading figure in a team promoted to the top.

Well if Doherty and spence can't play and all we are left with is fn Emerson then we better be selling some rwb in Jan and buying some new ones because, if totally honest, Emerson has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Ever noticed him showboating 30 yards out with nobody near him - sunday league impressive..... Wooooo

We need to start buying sound technical players, who have the right attitude and work ethic and have a high degree of football intelligence. The boxes need to be ticked. We keep ending up with 2 out of 3 criteria players who either give the ball away, get sent off or fail to read the game - in Emerson's case it's all three... Sometimes all in one go.

Damning Statement.

This is the proof for me that our transfer business has not been thought out very well.

When Conte arrived and started playing wingbacks, I said the most important position to fix is RWB.

We didn't address it in the January window.
We didn't address it in the summer window.

We are now left with 3 players who aren't good enough to play a position that is central to the way the manager wants to play. 2 of those three manager doesn't trust and the one he does isn't good enough. I'm sorry but this is a failure on the part of the manager and Paratici.

The Spence signing now stinks of desperation to appease fans by saying look we bought a RWB. The irony is that the player has the potential to be our best option in that position and the manager doesn't trust him. If the manager thinks this given the performances of Emerson and Doherty before him then I'm afraid to say we are in deep shit.

Conte might actually learn more about spence if he throws him in. I can guarantee the fans will actually be supportive of him getting a go, even if he did make a mistake.

Playing Emerson over and over again reminds me of the definition of madness which is expecting a different result when you've clearly seen multiple times that the guy isn't good enough for this level of football.
Top post.

Never understood a board buying players the manager hasn't asked for. If the manager isn't making those decisions then wtf are we paying him.for? I know there are some managers who would have demands that the.club couldn't fulfil but in this case, they should listen otherwise why pay him so much money?

Coaching?
Tactics?
Strategy?
Man management/motivation?
Team selection?
Match-day (team talks, substitutions and in-game management)?
Press duties?
etc.
etc.

Guardiola: “I never buy the players. I never sell the players. It is not my money. It is the club's. The hierarchy is so important. They know the type of players and the way we want to play."

Not too sperate from this is Klopp's own admission that he in-fact didn't want to sign Salah and them doing so was down to their recruitment team.

In the same vein; last season we hired a DOF and our recruitment has taken a turn for the better.

In the modern game managers don't have the time to be scouts. However, none of this is to say that in a modern structure, the manager doesn't still have influence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Spence was scouted and signed on the basis that our DOF deemed him to fit the bill of the kind of WB we required; not cos Levy and "the accountants" thought it would be a money-spinner.

Ali Gold: "it was Fabio Paratici who drove Tottenham’s pursuit of Spence, having watched the right-back closely during his loan spell at Nottingham Forest last season."

Conte: "The club wanted to do it..... I said ‘OK,"

Isn't that where scouting.comes from? Where's our scouts unearthing a lower league gem such as Andy Robertson?

Andy Robertson was signed from Hull the season they got relegated from the EPL.... He wasn't plucked from the "lower leagues".

Around the same time we signed Trippier from Burnley; who fits the exact same mold as Robertson.

There never seems to be any sign of that shit happening.

On the contrary; in recent seasons we've signed 2 'hot' young FBs from the champo.

This summer, we also just signed another young, highly rated LB from Italy; not unlike we did for Jose 2 years ago......

More broadly, we've also signed Gil & Sarr, but whenever we make such signings we get the same dweebs spinning the same conspiracy theories about them being unwanted Levy signings with no other consideration beyond selling them on for a profit.

Coming back to your orignal question about why managers don't exclusively drive the recrtuiment process? ......If you want undiscovered rough diamonds (something you've just bemoaned us not doing), then you can't realistically expect the manager to be the one to unearth them.

Last edited:
Damning Statement.

This is the proof for me that our transfer business has not been thought out very well.

When Conte arrived and started playing wingbacks, I said the most important position to fix is RWB.

We didn't address it in the January window.
We didn't address it in the summer window.

We are now left with 3 players who aren't good enough to play a position that is central to the way the manager wants to play. 2 of those three manager doesn't trust and the one he does isn't good enough. I'm sorry but this is a failure on the part of the manager and Paratici.

The Spence signing now stinks of desperation to appease fans by saying look we bought a RWB. The irony is that the player has the potential to be our best option in that position and the manager doesn't trust him. If the manager thinks this given the performances of Emerson and Doherty before him then I'm afraid to say we are in deep shit.

Conte might actually learn more about spence if he throws him in. I can guarantee the fans will actually be supportive of him getting a go, even if he did make a mistake.

Playing Emerson over and over again reminds me of the definition of madness which is expecting a different result when you've clearly seen multiple times that the guy isn't good enough for this level of football.
Spence was a classic Spurs english lower league signing, wasn't he. We had success in the past with guys like Dele, Walker and Lennon. But less recently (Rodon).

I think it probably really pissed off Conte, because it's a sign that the club haven't changed their mentality as much as they told him they would and aren't ready to behave like a 'big club', as he sees it.

We made a mistake selling Trippier, and then not going back in for him when he came back to England.

We all knew better than Nuno though. So the idea that we as fans can't know better than a manager is false.

It happens all the time. Look at Southgate. We all know Maguire shouldn't be picked. He doesn't.

Sorry but no.

If you think I'm trusting any single one of you lots opinion over Conte, you are high as a fucking kite my friend.

Conte has forgotten more about professional football than you or I will ever know, and that is a straight fact. Goodbye. The end.

Also imagine comparing Nuno to Conte - put some respect on Conte's name ffs

Sorry, 'donio. In that specific topic this trust is wearing reeeaaaaal thin.

I can honestly come out and even say that - NO - I do not trust you on the choice of which RWB to pick (which does not mean I would not trust him generally). Cause you know, on top of trusting and believing I also have eyes. And I watch games. And I do care how MY team does. All I have witnessed this season are 9 appearences of flaming pile of soft shit by one of the painfully weakest players in this position for past 10 years.

And given the fact how we have actually performed, and how he has performed, it actually at times feels like you do want Spurs to lose. Maybe because your ego is bigger than your desire to win. Maybe you have a point to prove. I don't know. But keep starting Royal has cost us. And he has been utter shit in the two games we've lost.

And I am 100% sure I am not only one who thinks this. Quite frankly I think there are more fans that do not trust Conte with always starting Royal then there are ones that are happy with it.

Sure, it could turn out to be not the best option to throw in Spence there. But it is insane to keep doing the same thing and expecting different result.
Do you not think that Conte also has eyes and sees what Spence is like in training every day ?

Sorry but no.

If you think I'm trusting any single one of you lots opinion over Conte, you are high as a fucking kite my friend.

Conte has forgotten more about professional football than you or I will ever know, and that is a straight fact. Goodbye. The end.

Also imagine comparing Nuno to Conte - put some respect on Conte's name ffs
But you are saying that someone who see's training day and day out can't be wrong.

Yes or no, did Nuno make mistakes? Because if you believe he did, you're being hypocritical and saying that you knew better than him.

Also, stop being a baby with all this ''my opinion is fact and your opinion is false'' nonsense. It's just a friendly debate.

baby spinning GIF

People talk as if any human is infallible. I'm glad the club are pursuing options they believe are good long term bets. Klopp had Salah dump on him against his instincts. But was adult enough to admit his oversight. There is a balance to be struck between short term management buys and club development deals. Especially with a coach as notoriously capricious as Conte
Exactly.

Most famous example, Capello banished Beckham to the under 19s. Soon realised he made a mistake, reintegrated him and he was an integral part of Real's success that season.

The difference between the good managers and the great one's is being able to put your ego to one side and see what is best. Guardiola does it all the time. Ancelotti too.

But you are saying that someone who see's training day and day out can't be wrong.

Yes or no, did Nuno make mistakes? Because if you believe he did, you're being hypocritical and saying that you knew better than him.

Also, stop being a baby with all this ''my opinion is fact and your opinion is false'' nonsense. It's just a friendly debate.

baby spinning GIF

Nope, not what I was saying at all.

I was saying that I value the opinion of the person who see's training day in day out more than I do a random fan. At no point have I said mistakes cannot be made. Literally nowhere have I said this.

Learn to read and stop putting words in my mouth.

Friendly debate but you insert that childish gif? Yeah...ok then.

If you can find me a post where I've said Conte is infallible and never makes mistakes, then feel free to quote me and I'll apologise.

End of story.

Read Back To School GIF by INTO ACTION

Back
Top Bottom