Dons V Dons

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm certain AFC would rather have 6 points less or one round less of the FA Cup than have to face MK.

Im sure they would like one less round in the cup too.....very much doubt they would happily start a season on -6pts though.

Relegated, or miss out on promotion, all because they had to play MK Dons. You think MK Dons would give two fucks....they would laugh in their faces and make it even worse. The only club suffering would be AFC.

It would be an absolutely pathetic decision IMO.

You only have to look at the reactions on here to see how much this means to the AFC fans... the majority of people confused and saying they should just turn up and support their team shows that unless you go through what they have gone through then you can't understand their thinking and why they refuse to even acknowledge MK exists. Like someone else said imagine Spurs suddenly fucked off to somewhere else in England leaving you with nothing.
There is one problem with this. The club they helped to set up exists and that club will be penalised if the players have to turn up. If the fans then don't turn up aren't they effectively hanging the players who play for them out to dry?

That seems a bit unfair on the players to me, many of whom were probably still kids when the MK Dons thing happened. I perfectly understand the reasoning and rationality over not wanting to recognise MK Dons, but should then extend to the players and the club they they helped to set up in order to not recognise MK Dons?

I think that if AFC as a club itself were to issue a statement saying that they do not recognise MK Dons and are playing the tie under protest, then the fans would be absolutely right not to go. But without AFC doing this, it just seems to me that these fans are just leaving their players to go up there and face the music. Surely that's not fair?

...it just seems to me that these fans are just leaving their players to go up there and face the music. Surely that's not fair?

This just highlights what has been said in terms of, like it or not, MK does exist and AFC Wimbledon will be facing them, with or without their fans.

Speaking to my mate on FB (The AFCW fan who lives in MK), he talks of principles and morals, including the 'they don't exist' mantra. I explained my view in that, they do exist and the fact AFC are due to play them means he now, like it or not, has to face it....denial is no way to live. I explained to him my views in that, I'd probably be so consumed with the notion of giving them hell, morality and principle wouldn't come in to it. I explained that as an FA Cup game AFC would receive an equal share of the gate receipts and that a tie against a league 1 club would be lucrative to Wimbledon too....he remains undecided, but I can respect that.

Maybe us fans of other clubs should go in place of the AFCW fans who want to stay away...I'm sure there not much love for MK anywhere else. We can go and abuse the franchise while the Real Dons maintain their moral high ground...hmmm 1882 away day to MK anyone?

Im sure they would like one less round in the cup too.....very much doubt they would happily start a season on -6pts though.

Relegated, or miss out on promotion, all because they had to play MK Dons. You think MK Dons would give two fucks....they would laugh in their faces and make it even worse. The only club suffering would be AFC.

Okay, the chance of obtaining 6 points. They have already said they would rather not play them. I'm not sure how you can call their decisions pathetic whatever their decisions are.

Okay, the chance of obtaining 6 points. They have already said they would rather not play them. I'm not sure how you can call their decisions pathetic whatever their decisions are.
It wouldn't be pathetic at all. If the club made a stand and either faced the points deduction or made a statement that they wer eplaying under protest then I would fully understand no fans going. But they haven't gone that far yet (to my knowledge), so wouldn't it be right to go and support the players?

It wouldn't be pathetic at all. If the club made a stand and either faced the points deduction or made a statement that they wer eplaying under protest then I would fully understand no fans going. But they haven't gone that far yet (to my knowledge), so wouldn't it be right to go and support the players?

Their club is owned by their fans, quite literally. It's their decision. They have already instructed the board not to shake hands etc. once they realised the game had to go ahead. I've never said it is wrong or pathetic to go to the game. I've just said I understand why those who want to boycott it, want to boycott it. I have no criticism of it either way.

I don't think Sammy is calling anyone pathetic. All he is saying is that it wouldn't be cool if the fans let the players who represent what these supporters have built up over the last 10 years go out and play without backing them to the hilt. And I must say, I see it the same way. AFC Wimbledon have to face MK. Whether they like it or not, this game will go ahead and the players who represent AFC Wimbledon will be running out onto the pitch in MK to represent AFC Wimbledon. Surely the fans should be there to cheer them on.

And yes, I understand the whole, not acknowledging them thing and the whole not giving them money thing, but surely support for your own club should be well above all other hatred/whatever it is you feel for a different club.

To clarify I am saying it would be a pathetic decision to forfeit 6pts rather than play against MK Dons in the league.

NOT that it would be pathetic to boycott the match as a fan.

Personally, in relation to the post, I thought that was pretty clear.

I wish that they hadn't found themselves in this situation for another few years, when the clubs were possibly on more of an equal footing. You'd expect Milton Keynes to comfortably serve the Dons their arses at the moment.

Having said that, if the Dons were to pull it off and win, what a strange occasion it would be in their history. The day we faced our worst enemies, and beat them, knocking them out of the cup in the process. The day we closed a chapter in our history and opened a new one, possibly. And none of us was there to see it.

Me neither.
I have no idea how you come to the conclusion that I said its pathetic for the fans not to go from the below conversation:

YOU: I'm certain AFC would rather have 6 points less or one round less of the FA Cup than have to face MK.

ME: Im sure they would like one less round in the cup too.....very much doubt they would happily start a season on -6pts though.

Clear as daylight :dempsey:

I didn't come to that conclusion. I was replying to Smoked Salmon's post.

But it's pretty clear the fans that want to boycott support the decision not to play them, even if it means giving away the chance of an extra 6 points or an extra FA Cup round.

I was simply saying I don't think their reasoning is pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom