Emiliano Sala

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't understand why it's decent, genuinely, the family don't get any financial benefit this way and it's only Cardiff getting dragging this through the press /courts looking for a a way out. I think you are letting them off lightly here, they are acting dispicably.

*I am not using this as an excuse as I don't see bad behaviour on their part but Nantes sold him because they are short of money, the 15m is significant compared to wages /turnover and will impact them massively. It will mean job losses and cuts to normal people as well as footballers because Cardiff are trying not to fulfil their responsibilities.

As I said though mate I think somewhere along the line either one party or all parties involved should have resolved this by now. There are far more complex reasons and points I'm sure.

I can see the reason why Cardiff are reluctant to pay full whack for him of the insurance policies don't cover it but of there are loopholes in the contract aren't the insurance companies just as bad as Cardiff? As I said I'm not sure about it all, it's just poor and a huge shame that the guys name is going to drag on through a long legal battle it seems. Really sad for him and the pilot

I agree it's really sad going to stop as point is made and talking about money when it's about lives may appear crass. It will come out in the wash and I don't think it will look good.

Even the majority on the Cardiff forums don't like the way this is playing out .... here's a couple of posts

"I can only speak for myself but I would personally give the person the money on principal, same as if I borrowed anything and broke it, may not technically be mine but the decent thing would be to pay up. I would rather be skint and keep my head up than catch someone just for the sake of money. Principals far outweigh money in my eyes and to the outside world this would put City in a bad light if they washed their hands and walked away without paying a penny."

"been self employed nearly 40 years and have always honoured my word even when its cost me { not 15 mill I admit , but certainly a sizeable chunk of annual turnover. its about 10% in this case } to be honest ive come across very few people that value their reputation and name so little they would renege on a deal. The amount of times ive read the phrases..in any other business and legally obligated on here..wow. yes two timing twicers can find loopholes and technicalities..might be legal doesn't make them right and certainly is not a reputation I would want myself."

Whilst a few point to the 'harm' paying 15m might do to the club, most point out that Cardiff FC have a 120 year reputation to uphold, doing the right thing for 15m is worth it when compared to the the stain on their reputation that will never go away.

Maybe the EPL should step in and make a contribution, 15m to a multi-billion pound industry ... why the hell not.

Situation just gets worse and worse.

Going back to the plane crash, Cardiff's insurers probably have in their policy that the player cannot do certain dangerous activities (even motor bike riding is forbidden in some policies, something agents should be aware of), which is pretty standard so McKay the agent should have known that, and yet the son arranged the flight in an aircraft with a pilot who was not authorised for such a flight, and in a plane not authorised to take 'commercial' flights (so almost certain to invalidate the player insurance) - although I am sure they will say they didn't know that. However ignorance really is no defence. So imo the agent and his son have some significant amount of responsibility - and that should require them to pay something significant.

Cardiff City are arguing technicalities but if their argument is only that the paperwork was not in the correct form to be registered at PL, whilst they may be legally correct if the contract between Nantes and Cardiff had a condition before completion could happen that the player should be registered with PL, the fact that it was Cardiff's responsibility for the registration to happen and they had accepted him and had arranged for him to be available the day plane crash, makes their stance very difficult morally and possibly legally.

Nantes may be in no real position to pay anything (and has an obligation to pay another French club who trained the player). However just as Spurs found when we sold Crouch to Portsmouth and Portsmouth went bust, the 'sell on' clause on Crouch became useless, and I would suggest that Nantes need to tell the other French club that the amount they will get will be significantly less than they might have expected.

However with the money in the game, I think for the good public image of the game, the PL should broker a deal with Cardiff whereby PL chip in something substantial (maybe even half) and Cardiiff pay to Nantes what is owed. Its fair to help Cardiff out over what is a significant sum (for them), but Cardiff should pay something significant as just as when they buy a player who turns out to be much less good than they thought, they pay. And PL should lean on McKay's to make a contribution - big agents such as McKay make multiple millions out of the game each year, so should put something back when they screw up even inadvertently (assuming they didn't know about the pilot and plane).

Given the money in the game, and the PFA can afford to pay its CEO £2m pa (or whatever it is), it seems reasonable for them (and their insurers if the PFA can lean in them) to pay some compensation to the family of what should have been their latest member - to look after players and their families is their 'raison d'etre). And that money of course should be augmented by the amount pad by McKay (the agent) and his son.

So it just needs a combination of PL and PFA to step up and broker deals - the PFA looking after the family and PL looking after the clubs. But Cardiff and McKay(s) should be made to pay significant sums

Situation just gets worse and worse.

Going back to the plane crash, Cardiff's insurers probably have in their policy that the player cannot do certain dangerous activities (even motor bike riding is forbidden in some policies, something agents should be aware of), which is pretty standard so McKay the agent should have known that, and yet the son arranged the flight in an aircraft with a pilot who was not authorised for such a flight, and in a plane not authorised to take 'commercial' flights (so almost certain to invalidate the player insurance) - although I am sure they will say they didn't know that. However ignorance really is no defence. So imo the agent and his son have some significant amount of responsibility - and that should require them to pay something significant.

Cardiff City are arguing technicalities but if their argument is only that the paperwork was not in the correct form to be registered at PL, whilst they may be legally correct if the contract between Nantes and Cardiff had a condition before completion could happen that the player should be registered with PL, the fact that it was Cardiff's responsibility for the registration to happen and they had accepted him and had arranged for him to be available the day plane crash, makes their stance very difficult morally and possibly legally.

Nantes may be in no real position to pay anything (and has an obligation to pay another French club who trained the player). However just as Spurs found when we sold Crouch to Portsmouth and Portsmouth went bust, the 'sell on' clause on Crouch became useless, and I would suggest that Nantes need to tell the other French club that the amount they will get will be significantly less than they might have expected.

However with the money in the game, I think for the good public image of the game, the PL should broker a deal with Cardiff whereby PL chip in something substantial (maybe even half) and Cardiiff pay to Nantes what is owed. Its fair to help Cardiff out over what is a significant sum (for them), but Cardiff should pay something significant as just as when they buy a player who turns out to be much less good than they thought, they pay. And PL should lean on McKay's to make a contribution - big agents such as McKay make multiple millions out of the game each year, so should put something back when they screw up even inadvertently (assuming they didn't know about the pilot and plane).

Given the money in the game, and the PFA can afford to pay its CEO £2m pa (or whatever it is), it seems reasonable for them (and their insurers if the PFA can lean in them) to pay some compensation to the family of what should have been their latest member - to look after players and their families is their 'raison d'etre). And that money of course should be augmented by the amount pad by McKay (the agent) and his son.

So it just needs a combination of PL and PFA to step up and broker deals - the PFA looking after the family and PL looking after the clubs. But Cardiff and McKay(s) should be made to pay significant sums

Very sad really, whilst players do earn unbelievable wages, it does go to show that they are in fact treated like commodities and its really dehumanising.

It's one thing to have the people you leave squabbling over what you leave behind if you are lucky enough to do so, but imagine businesses fighting over who's financial burden you are.

I feel really bad for his loved ones.

Isnt this very similar (the paper work not the tragic outcome) with the Leicester deal with Silva - Adrien Silva: Fifa rejects Leicester City's application for midfielder - wasn't registered with the PL in time but was still a Leicester player as the international transfer paper work was completed. Leicester tried to cancel the deal and send him back and were told they had no right as it has already gone through.

Looks pretty clear cut to me, Cardiff are muddying the waters to get out what they should pay. They had tried to say the agent works for Nantes which would change the situation but that's bollox from what I can see.

*FYI Bordeaux had a 50% sell on so Nantes owe Bordeaux 7.5M.

Isnt this very similar (the paper work not the tragic outcome) with the Leicester deal with Silva - Adrien Silva: Fifa rejects Leicester City's application for midfielder - wasn't registered with the PL in time but was still a Leicester player as the international transfer paper work was completed. Leicester tried to cancel the deal and send him back and were told they had no right as it has already gone through.

Looks pretty clear cut to me, Cardiff are muddying the waters to get out what they should pay. They had tried to say the agent works for Nantes which would change the situation but that's bollox from what I can see.

*FYI Bordeaux had a 50% sell on so Nantes owe Bordeaux 7.5M.

Thanks.

As I understand it the transfer contract had as a condition to be met before closing (ie completion) that the player registration with FA etc had to have been done etc. And it wasn't so the contract in theory was not complete etc (and that is Cardiff's argument)

I'm not a lawyer so don't know the legal merits, but given that it was Cardiff's job to do the bits which were not done, I find it hard to believe that they could claim the conditions in the contract were not met - usually the purchaser is reliant on conditions that the seller needs to meet.

So either Cardiff have no case (and I'm not sure if the situation is identical to Silva/Leicester or not) , but if not that's where I think the FA and PFA (and maybe their French equivalents) need to broker a compromise deal as I've suggested above.

The agent bit is probably a red herring as once the contract is dealt with the agent role is usually to manage the player (I assume) - and that is what he was doing in managing travel arrangements. But the agent was not doing that well in getting him a 'free' flight with an unlicenced plane/pilot

Last edited:
The agent bit is probably a red herring as once the contract is dealt with the agent role is usually to manage the player (I assume) - and that is what he was doing in managing travel arrangements. But the agent was not doing that well in getting him a 'free' flight with an unlicenced plane/pilot
Their play was Nantes asked / agreed for the agents to find a club to sell him to hence they were working for Nantes. They appear to be trying anything.

He has previous (Tan) with previous managers where he has taken it to court to get around what he owes only to pull out at the last moment.

Their play was Nantes asked / agreed for the agents to find a club to sell him to hence they were working for Nantes. They appear to be trying anything.

He has previous (Tan) with previous managers where he has taken it to court to get around what he owes only to pull out at the last moment.

Certainly Tan is trying everything, but IMO he's undermined himself by taking the extreme position that he's responsible for nothing. And that's not a sustainable position, nor one that is going to get them much sympathy from anyone.

Emiliano Sala's father: 'They left him alone like a dog'

"They left him alone like a dog," is how Emiliano Sala's treatment was described by his dad.

The footballer died after the plane he was in was lost at sea while he was travelling to his new club, Cardiff City.

His dad Horacio, who himself died in April, days after speaking to BBC Wales, added: "They abandoned him."

Sala was flying from France where he had left FC Nantes to become Cardiff's record signing.

His mum Mercedes Taffarel said: "It's terrible, a pain that I can't explain."

Emiliano Sala: The family's search for truth is on BBC One Wales at 20:30 BST on Monday 20 May and on the BBC iPlayer.

Back
Top Bottom