Encounters with Footballers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has anyone got any stories of meeting players in strange or hilarious circumstances? Not boring autograph or set events (unless something crazy happened) Tell them here....

In May 2010 a group of us did the monopoly pub crawl and ended up in the Punch and Judy. Dressed as a priest and completely off my face I went over to Kevin Davies and gave him a huge hug and then said something like "You're playing the best of your career mate, God says you will play for England" Giving him a blessing sign after - he got his only cap 5 months after and I still am waiting for a thank you.

That night Jonathan Greening tried it on with my sister too, she turned down the ugly prick

Has anyone got any stories of meeting players in strange or hilarious circumstances? Not boring autograph or set events (unless something crazy happened) Tell them here....

In May 2010 a group of us did the monopoly pub crawl and ended up in the Punch and Judy. Dressed as a priest and completely off my face I went over to Kevin Davies and gave him a huge hug and then said something like "You're playing the best of your career mate, God says you will play for England" Giving him a blessing sign after - he got his only cap 5 months after and I still am waiting for a thank you.

That night Jonathan Greening tried it on with my sister too, she turned down the ugly prick

Probably the first person your sister has turned down.

Not strange or hilarious but anyway, the other day I was sitting on a bench on Croydon high street waiting for wifey to come out of a shop, and I could smell weed smoke wafting through the air. Tbf it might be stranger not smelling that considering location but as it turned out, Wilf Zaha was standing at the end of the bench with a couple of mates and I think they were having a puff. His mates, of course. I'm sure Wilf told them to stop.

I once saw Ian Dowie pull up at security in his car at ewood park when he was palace manager, think they must have been playing blackburn next. A particular highlight from my childhood that

Stood behind Dave Beasant in an ATM queue when he was part of the Northern Ireland set-up, asked him if he was getting the money out to buy a jar of salad cream....

*I may have imagined that last bit

glad you asked this actually...

went lovebox festival yesterday and after when we were walking through Mile End station, Darren Bent walked past us. I was still a bit off my face and I remembered him being fucking awful so I gave him some abuse, the standard "you're shit" blah blah blah. cheered us all up for the grim journey home at least.

A group of us went to Cairo in 2006, and it just so happened that our trip coincided with the first week of the African Cup of Nations. Anyway, the hotel we stayed in was also where the DR Congo and Angola National teams were staying. Didn't recognise any of the Angolans, but I did get in a lift with LuaLua.

:gallashmm:

Went to the opening ceremony and it was fucking Bedlam. The Egypt/Libya game was a hoot, Libyan fans started ripping up chairs and lobbing them at the Egyptians. Cue the Egyptian 'Riot Police' to beat seven bells of shit out of the Libyans. :avblol:

Ive probably mentioned this before:

I used to work for a management consultancy that did all of HP's uk marketing and promotional guff.
Those glorious pre internet days meant I actually did have some proper ITK: I saw the contracts for Pony kits and HP's initial sponsorship long before either deal was ever announced publicly.
anyway, I managed to blag myself a role helping the HP in house photographer out at WHL on team photo day

fuck me. when one of those bastards didnt want to do something, they made sure that everyone didnt want to be doing it as well. it made herding cats look like a walk in the park.

and I used to know Terry Henry's ex wife.
and my ex sister in law transferred Anderton's bank account from the Portsmouth branch where she worked to one in London when he joined us.

About 18 years old working in sports world now sport direct and Darren Anderton walks in and immediately injures himself, na just kidding he comes in and buys fuck all then walks out 2 min look in which he realised just how shit sports world is.

I met John Gorman and Ian Moores (when they played for Spurs) at a beach in Malta, just had a photo with them. Then the following day, saw them again the following day at the resort where my mum worked. This time had a longish conversation with Gorman, he was really friendly and approachable wheras Moores was a bit standoffish, he may just have been shy. Then this June saw Keith Burkinshaw at the Spurs Supporters Club in Malta. Saw Erik Thorsvedt at Peter Pan's Playground in Southend - it was his first season and he was lovely. Saw Gomez in Romford, think he was going to the Brazilian restaurant near the Liberty. Saw Neil Ruddock in a pub in Hornchurch with The Donkey, best thing was it was after we beat Liverpool in the FA Cup and we couldn't resist asking him "where were you when Jurgen scored?".
Am I coming over as a bit of a stalker?

Won a trip to watch Man United in a Champions League game at OT in a box. This was back in the days when the chances of seeing a UEFA Cup game at the The Lane came down to our lack of yellow cards, so I jumped at the chance.

As part of this I stole a 'hospitality bag' from Denis Irwin, it was shit. The best thing in there were some United branded binoculars.

I also took a piss next to Brian Kidd that night. Didn't have a look though, no homo.

In an unrelated story, James Collins was sitting in front of me when I went to see Anchorman 2 this year. I would have said something to him about being shit, ginger, and Welsh, but he; a) is a pretty big bloke, b) was with his bird, and c) would no doubt mention the 'Historic Treble' of last season.

I used to work in a Makro back in my Uni days - would always get Michael Owen coming in for bulk buying dog food and stuff.

When he came in, everyone would fall apart for him and be all giddy - he's got a reputation locally around N.Wales/Chester for being an absolute bellend (once told a kid who ran up to him in Asda to 'fuck off' once when he was a Liverpool player, legend has it).

Because he was a bell end, I'd completely treat him like anyone else - got on with my job face up the stock. I'm suspicious that annoyed him, but I really didn't care.

Used to see loads of ex players in West Kirby when I worked round there too, Rushie for example.

I used to work in a Makro back in my Uni days - would always get Michael Owen coming in for bulk buying dog food and stuff.

When he came in, everyone would fall apart for him and be all giddy - he's got a reputation locally around N.Wales/Chester for being an absolute bellend (once told a kid who ran up to him in Asda to 'fuck off' once when he was a Liverpool player, legend has it).

Because he was a bell end, I'd completely treat him like anyone else - got on with my job face up the stock. I'm suspicious that annoyed him, but I really didn't care.

Used to see loads of ex players in West Kirby when I worked round there too, Rushie for example.

This video appears to sum up Owen as a person. Rather than trying to help a kid who is clearly not the most confident, he just bullies him and makes him feel shit. Fair play to Southall for bollocking him at the end.

Back
Top Bottom