England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do they? Newcastle don’t. Everton don’t. Palace don’t (up until April). Walker is the most basic on the ball out of all the City back 4. Rice doesn’t play in front of the back 4 for that lot. These players aren’t suited to it.

I agree there should be more from the coach but player selection is the bigger factor. Reminds me of when Pep binned Hart and everyone wailed - he wasn’t suited to the style of play and neither is Pickford et al

Literally every team plays out from the back in the Prem some more than others.

Rice doesn't do it as much ad he has others collect the ball from the CB's so agree he's not suited to do it.

Southgate won't play but this would be my team for Slovenia -

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold
Stones
Guehi
Gomez

Wharton
Rice

Foden

Saka
Gordon
Watkins

Trippier is 33 and should be given a game off. Alexander-Arnold obviously has his flaws at right-back but his biggest strength, his long range passing, will be better suited to right-back where he plays for his club as he will get a bit more time to pick his head up than you generally get in midfield. Walker shouldn't really be needed against Slovenia.

Wharton allows Rice to play in his Woolwich role. He can also take the ball from the back four and get us moving forward as a team. Such is his mentality that I have no doubts about him being able to step up. Foden in the position everyone wants to see him in, not stuck out on the left where he's not in the game 80% of the time. Palmer deserves his chance but you wouldn't want to start too many players for the first time in the tournament in the same game.

Up front, the inclusion of Watkins and Gordon will surely allow us to press so much better. Not to mention offer pace to the attack. Kane and Bellingham to have a rest as neither look close to being 100% match fit.

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold
Stones
Guehi
Gomez

Wharton
Rice

Foden

Saka
Gordon
Watkins

Trippier is 33 and should be given a game off. Alexander-Arnold obviously has his flaws at right-back but his biggest strength, his long range passing, will be better suited to right-back where he plays for his club as he will get a bit more time to pick his head up than you generally get in midfield. Walker shouldn't really be needed against Slovenia.

Wharton allows Rice to play in his Woolwich role. He can also take the ball from the back four and get us moving forward as a team. Such is his mentality that I have no doubts about him being able to step up. Foden in the position everyone wants to see him in, not stuck out on the left where he's not in the game 80% of the time.

Up front, the inclusion of Watkins and Gordon will surely allow us to press so much better. Not to mention offer pace to the attack. Kane and Bellingham to have a rest as neither look close to being 100% match fit.

Good team and I agree, far too brave for Waistgate though

You just know Kane and Bellingham are both starting, even if they were a leg down.
Southgate will probably make one change....two at most.

It will be Trent out Gallagher in - which will make the team just as ineffective.

And then maybe Gomez for Trippier

If it is those two changes, expect exactly the same shite as the first two games as it doesn't solve any of the problems.

The main problem we have going forward is that Southgate doesn't believe he's wrong in the selections and formations he's put out

Although he did look a bit panicky when he threw on three attackers last game in the hope he could turn the tide.

It will be Trent out Gallagher in - which will make the team just as ineffective.

If it is those two changes, expect exactly the same shite as the first two games as it doesn't solve any of the problems.

The main problem we have going forward is that Southgate doesn't believe he's wrong in the selections and formations he's put out

Although he did look a bit panicky when he threw on three attackers last game in the hope he could turn the tide.

If Kane starts again then Watkins absolutely has to start alongside him. Just do something different. Teams know exactly how to stop us right now. Do a job on Saka and hope that Bellingham doesn't influence the game, and he always struggles after 45 minutes right now anyway. That's literally all it takes.

We could have such a speedy, energetic and positive team and yet because of one man we're the exact opposite of that. Can't wait to see the back of him.

Hahaha if they are the two changes I will piss myself

He must know he’s completely wrong and the selectuons and set up are shit

Hahaha if they are the two changes I will piss myself

He must know he’s completely wrong and the selectuons and set up are shit

I really hope they're not the two changes he makes..... Gareth gonna Gareth though.

But just in case.......don't wear your best trousers on Tuesday...

:sonpoint:

I really hope they're not the two changes he makes..... Gareth gonna Gareth though.

But just in case.......don't wear your best trousers on Tuesday...

:sonpoint:

In fairness, Gallagher for Trent will improve the balance in midfield, even if we should be looking at Wharton. Gallagher isn't brilliant but he has an engine on him and puts tackles in. But if he goes for a front three of Saka, Foden and Kane again then he deserves all the shit he will get and more.

Stones is not better than Romero - and I would take Porro over Walker all day long too. Eng don’t have footballers that can pass the ball from the ball back. Poor side

Rice in CM is another non passing player.

We need to play Trent or Tripper RB and if he’d had a brain we would have a left footed CB playing LB to balance it.

Wharton #6
Bellingham 8
Foden 10

Palmer Kane Gordon

Not difficult at all.

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold
Stones
Guehi
Gomez

Wharton
Rice

Foden

Saka
Gordon
Watkins

Wharton allows Rice to play in his Woolwich role. He can also take the ball from the back four and get us moving forward as a team. Such is his mentality that I have no doubts about him being able to step up. Foden in the position everyone wants to see him in, not stuck out on the left where he's not in the game 80% of the time. Palmer deserves his chance but you wouldn't want to start too many players for the first time in the tournament in the same game.

Bellingham for Rice and Kane for Watkins

Can’t have a non passing CM like Rice in slow paced international football.
Rice in CM is another non passing player.

We need to play Trent or Tripper RB and if he’d had a brain we would have a left footed CB playing LB to balance it.

Wharton #6
Bellingham 8
Foden 10

Palmer Kane Gordon

Not difficult at all.

Gary v FIFA top 10 ranked teams:

Played 24
Won 4

Yeh he is tactical shit. It was ok when we have an average squad at the start when he took over and that was post negative Roy Hodgson who seemed to rub the players up the wrong way but to have had 8 years of someone who isn’t even a Premier League level manager is astonishing. Being a nice guy who does charity work, says lovely things and takes the knee is great for PR but he is a football manager first and foremost and he never looks remotely like getting the best out of anyone apart from Maguire, Sterling, Philips and Rashford who aren’t even in the squad.

I still can’t get my head around how you can take Kane, Toney, Foden, Bellingham, Saka, Palmer, Gordon, Bowen, Watkins as well as having the option of Maddison and Grealish and somehow make the weakest attacking unit in the tournament. It would be hard if Southgate was a saboteur to be this bad.

Back
Top Bottom