England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Considering the popular view of our first XI needs this window:

i.e. RB, CM, possible Eriksen replacement.

I'd loan KWP , Skipp (& Sessengon if we buy him) next season.

I think Poch may wait until pre-season to make a final decision on loanees or keep in house, also reflecting maybe on who has been bought

I think Poch may wait until pre-season to make a final decision on loanees or keep in house, also reflecting maybe on who has been bought

Logical, but if we make the above purchases and re fully committed to their integration as first team players, those I listed won't see much game-time.

Logical, but if we make the above purchases and re fully committed to their integration as first team players, those I listed won't see much game-time.

Depends who comes in.

1. If Trippier leaves (as rumoured) then we are short again on HG numbers, and Villa winning the playoff means we have one less HG target (and there are not many suitable targets I'd guess).

That might mean Poch needing to keep KWP as his back up RB simply to get a large enough squad (maximum 17 overseas trained players plus then need maybe 6 HG players to get a CL squad size if Poch wants a 23 man squad - and HG wise we have of which we have Kane, Rose, Winks, Dele...……..so are 2 short !)

2. If NDombele comes in and Wanyama leaves (both popular ideas), but no other CM changes, Poch then has CM choices of Dier, N'Dombele, Sissoko and Winks as his top 4 central midfield options.

But he has 22 year old Amos (on 5 year contract) and almost (a month into next season)19 year old Skipp to decide on a future - with 17 year olds Bowden and White possibly too young for PL playing u23's and might well appear in close season - Bowden did last close season.

So does Poch want to have a youngster available in case of injury - in which case Amos or Skipp do not go on loan. And if Amos stays is he staying to help keep up HG numbers ?

So in short, too many uncertainties right now to know if they need to go on loan or not, both of players and HG numbers,

Full 27 man E squad :

Take out the 6 Spurs players who will not be fit to play certainly the first E game and arguably the 2nd game after playing CL final a few days before and there are still 21 players left.

Job done ! ? (even if the 21 includes 3 Liverpool players and 3 GK's)

Winks, Trippier, Ward-Prowse and Redmond not included in the final 23 man squad - reason given for Winks is lack of recent matches. A come down for Trippier after WC tournament.

Still leaves 4 Spurs players in - Kane, Dele, Rose and Dier.

Winks, Trippier, Ward-Prowse and Redmond not included in the final 23 man squad - reason given for Winks is lack of recent matches. A come down for Trippier after WC tournament.

Great, four more of our players not getting any proper rest time due to stupid scheduling of meaningless internationals.

Winks is excluded because of lack of recent matches, but Kane is going to play 3 games in a week after a long lay off.
Southgate wants shooting, and why are the club allowing this to happen?

Winks is excluded because of lack of recent matches, but Kane is going to play 3 games in a week after a long lay off.
Southgate wants shooting, and why are the club allowing this to happen?

Sadly club have little choice in accepting international call ups.

Think Poch needs to sit down with Harry and say 'I know you want to play every match - but this season has proved that if you try to do that you pick up injuries. Lets assume you need to play at least 50 matches for Spurs each season (which may mean not playing all League cup, FA cup and even PL matches otherwise you would be playing 60 matches a season) so which are the 6 England matches you want to play in (nominate them before the start of the season) and which are the other England matches we need to jointly tell Mr Southgate its not possible for you to play in.''

And for these matches a phone call saying to Southgate that no Spurs player can play more than 90 minutes over the 2 England matches.

Have any of Kane's injuries been stress based? As far as I can recall, there was always an impact involved?

The thing he needs to avoid is the tackles he is subjected to - which won't happen from his style of play. As a club we should be calling upon the referees to protect our players, especially Harry.

Have any of Kane's injuries been stress based? As far as I can recall, there was always an impact involved?

The thing he needs to avoid is the tackles he is subjected to - which won't happen from his style of play. As a club we should be calling upon the referees to protect our players, especially Harry.

Correct IIRC.

England matches from 5 to 9 June

Kane, Dele, Dier and Rose involved. Hopefully not playing too much as all 4 really need a rest before pre-season starts - I'd guess Spurs come back either Monday 1 July or 8 July given the timing of preseason games and start of the PL season.

So those 4 might get 3 or 4 weeks rest.......not enough ?

England matches from 5 to 9 June

Kane, Dele, Dier and Rose involved. Hopefully not playing too much as all 4 really need a rest before pre-season starts - I'd guess Spurs come back either Monday 1 July or 8 July given the timing of preseason games and start of the PL season.

So those 4 might get 3 or 4 weeks rest.......not enough ?

They've just had three weeks, they will get another 3 or 4 ... it's enough ... what is more important is adding to the squad so like City (well as close as we can get) we can rest our best players during the season not run them all into the ground ....

Players can handle 2,880 minutes in 36 weeks that's about 80 minutes a week ... what they can't handle is 900 minutes in just five weeks ... those intense short windows is where we picked up knocks and even when winning where we drained the squad ... avoiding that requires more squad depth, we all know that.

They've just had three weeks, they will get another 3 or 4 ... it's enough ... what is more important is adding to the squad so like City (well as close as we can get) we can rest our best players during the season not run them all into the ground ....

Players can handle 2,880 minutes in 36 weeks that's about 80 minutes a week ... what they can't handle is 900 minutes in just five weeks ... those intense short windows is where we picked up knocks and even when winning where we drained the squad ... avoiding that requires more squad depth, we all know that.

Yup 3 weeks off with no matches. But training every day so not enough for all the muscles to relax, bruises to completely go etc but certainly a bit of a rest compared to the main season.

Still think a month completely away from football is a great healer both physically and mentally - and 2 months plus which PL players not involved in CL final or internationals will be even better, and that of course is not open to Spurs but will be open to some Mancity and Manu players for example

Yup 3 weeks off with no matches. But training every day so not enough for all the muscles to relax, bruises to completely go etc but certainly a bit of a rest compared to the main season.

Still think a month completely away from football is a great healer both physically and mentally - and 2 months plus which PL players not involved in CL final or internationals will be even better, and that of course is not open to Spurs but will be open to some Mancity and Manu players for example

If the season ends mid May and pre-season routines typically start early July, it's hard to conceive (m)any teams getting 2 or more months off.

No not enough. Normally you want 6 weeks minimum.

As per above 6 weeks MAXIMUM if you're lucky, more like..

I guess even Gareth understands that Kane shouldn't be starting on Thursday, perhaps 30 mins on Sunday if they reach the final.

He'll be seen as closer to 100% than he was at the weekend. Thus, he'll do light training and most likely he'll start....

He'll be seen as closer to 100% than he was at the weekend. Thus, he'll do light training and most likely he'll start....

If he starts he shouldn't be playing more than a half iimo. Win or lose there is another game (3/4 play off or final) to be played a few days later so Kane (and others who played CL final) shouldn't need to be playing 3 full games in a week

If the season ends mid May and pre-season routines typically start early July, it's hard to conceive (m)any teams getting 2 or more months off.

As per above 6 weeks MAXIMUM if you're lucky, more like..

Think 2 months is just about possible ,- but even 6 weeks is 50% more than s month so very beneficial to the body and mind to unwind after s long season - not forgetting the players in WC last ,4 had the bare minimum break last summer so are I need of the longest possible break this summer whether that is a month (likely for our 4 England players) or 6 weeks for some other PL players.

If he starts he shouldn't be playing more than a half iimo. Win or lose there is another game (3/4 play off or final) to be played a few days later so Kane (and others who played CL final) shouldn't need to be playing 3 full games in a week

What Spurs want or need will not cross Southgate's mind.... Win two games = trophy (then they can rest for the remainder of the summer) will be the sole outlook of the England camp. I wouldn't expect Harry to view things too differently either.... Esp. as captain.

You think TAA, Dele or Henderson will be given light duty too? ....I don't.

Back
Top Bottom