England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People who slate Southgate are honestly living in some other universe.

Do people forget how shite we performed in tournaments prior to him? when a quarter final in a world cup was seen as some type of success.

Since he's come in we've reached a semi final of the world Cup and a penalty shootout away from winning the Euros (not to mention the nations league where we beat v.good opposition).

Also under his leadership a lot of young talent have come through and look like world beaters now.

yes he has his favourites but what manager in world football doesn't. The criticsm he gets is unreal to me.

Last edited:

Do people forget how shite we performed in tournaments prior to him? when a quarter final in a world cup was seen as some tupe of success.

Since he's come in we've reached a semi final of the world Cup and a penalty shootout away from winning the Euros (not to mention the nations league where we beat v.good opposition).

Also under his leadership a lot of young talent have come through and look like world beaters now.

yes he has his favourites but what manager in world football doesn't. The criticsm he gets is unreal to me.
He’s an excellent leader and man manager, no doubt but his tactics are open to debate…. I think his default is to retreat rather than trust the talent and inspire them to be brave.

I would like to see him bring in a number 2 for the WC who will provoke him a bit…. Possibly Brendan Rodger’s or someone just for the tournament

Do people forget how shite we performed in tournaments prior to him? when a quarter final in a world cup was seen as some tupe of success.

It's not at all, even the greatest managers gets criticism, Fergie, Jose, Pep etc...so I don't see why Southgate should be spared of it, you're allowed to recoginse he's gone a great job whilst pointing out his flaws.

It's not at all, even the greatest managers gets criticism, Fergie, Jose, Pep etc...so I don't see why Southgate should be spared of it, you're allowed to recoginse he's gone a great job whilst pointing out his flaws.
yup, greatest England manager in decades, but completely devoid of tactical knowhow, and a massive coward.

I'm just struggling to be polite in this thread. Fuck southgate with a fucking cactus. I'm sick of his cowardly shit.

It's just Mourinho ball with a better squad. Except Mourinho, even at his worst could read the game and make some meaningful subs. Southgate watched us get battered by Croatia for about an hour and did nothing.

He watched us get battered by Italy for 100 minutes and did nothing. Then he had the three youngest forwards in his top 5 pen takers. Saka's first ever professional pen FFS.

Most international managers play boring football. You really don't see high tempo, heavy metal, fluid international teams very often because it's harder to coach that and the managers get very little time with the players. Mancini did very well with the way Italy played, but look at him now.

I don't disagree he's made mistakes. I also think he did learn from Croatia in many ways and we were a much more solid, organised unit for the Euros. Maybe he went too far in the other direction but you cannot argue with zero open play goals conceded and not a single game lost aside from on penalties. It's a superb record.

Italy were doing very little in open play, we frustrated them. If Maguire doesn't switch off at a corner everyone is hailing Southgate for a tactical masterclass .. these are the fine lines in football. The decision with penalty takers was questionable but Saka now takes for Woolwich & Rashford did take them for United, so there was basis there. We lacked regular, experienced takers in the squad apart from Kane.

Italy were just too street smart. Not sure we had the tools to beat them whoeveris in charge. My big issue is how he has set up his very functional midfield. On Coady being liked and vocal so is Dier he's done it in a tournament for Southgate that should count for way more. You saw in that Italy game that tournament experience is priceless. He can't keep ignoring him if we start next season like we ended this one.
Italy were slow and there to be got at. Should have never taken foot off the gas and gone for the 2nd, 3rd etc then shut up shop

Do people forget how shite we performed in tournaments prior to him? when a quarter final in a world cup was seen as some type of success.

He can be complimented for what he's achieved, and also criticised for current decisions. It's not fucking black and white.

And yes, he is being rightly criticised for leaving Dier out, especially in light of some of the other chumps who've been selected.

Anybody who thinks Dier shouldn't be in the squad knows fuck all.

good as - Why the patronising use of Gary?

how the hell do you know what his limits are - do you have a crystal ball?

You're nothing special - I treat you the same as all of the other posters who think they have all the answers.

Try taking some of it on board, and moderating
a. Your post count
b. Your arrogant belief that everything you post is beyond reproach or comment
c. Your post count

Fuck off, you tedious hypocrite.

Teams that very often win international tournaments are functional/pragmatic with a solid platform, with moments of individual quality getting the job done.

Southgate is no master tactician and I very much doubt he'd have some amazing managerial career post-national team, but he's a fit for the job he's got - being a decent level headed human/frontperson and someone actually passionate/committed to the role and not there to feather his own nest etc. shouldn't be taken lightly given some of the people who have been appointed.

He's also young enough still to get the modern game, been an international player himself and knows what does/doesn't work at tournaments/in the group environment, and to go back to the pragmatism aspect of international football has shown he knows what it takes, even if it is a bit ugly, to negotiate a path to the latter stages. When you take he also kicked out the likes of Rooney, Hart et al, has had clear systems and made choices not to shoehorn in the best individual XI, and has given a lot of young players and also players from the "lesser clubs" a chance, you could argue that actually he is the England manager who has been the best tactician/visionary in decades. Not a high bar admittedly, but....

It is also about control of the game. England have come unstuck against Croatia and Italy because they haven't been able to dominate proceedings (especially in the middle of the park) via having the ball. At the top that often matters, if you have the ball, even without creating much, you have control and aren't the ones under pressure playing off the back foot. Part of England's fortunes looking ahead depend on youth development in this country bringing through more options as those intelligent metronomic centre mids who dictate how the ball is moved and can control proceedings appropriately, this is still one area we are massively lacking and must do better.

As for this summer "warm up" tournament.... Not really bothered with it and think the Nations League has been a total waste of time. I actually prefer friendly matches against teams from across the globe rather than playing your neighbours yet again. Also given the players have already had a week on hols before coming back into camp, I doubt they're going to be giving it everything. Most will want to be back on the beach I suspect.

Especially in international football. These managers don't get to work with players much so they always have their favourites who they trust and know work well together, so it can take a long time for them to lose their places. Pretty much every national team has a core of players who will make every squad no matter what.

Rich coming from someone who spams the board with an interminable deluge of posts.

Posting a lot = hypocrisy?

Hypocrite?

Yep.

- Personal insults.
- "You're not a pro; therefor you don't know shit"
- Lying about the content of people's posts.
- Pomposity & condescension.
- Playing the forum police man.

You are everything you rally against.

So yeh; fuck off you miserable hypocrite.

yup, greatest England manager in decades, but completely devoid of tactical knowhow, and a massive coward.
gary-southgate.gif

Hard to deal with a post as confusing as this, it barely makes sense.
You called me a hypocrite, are you saying I called you one? You post a lot, some of what you post is worthwhile but you spoil it with hogwash.
I've watched most the seasons of Grey's anatomy, but I wouldn't carry out an operation or critique a surgeon. Why do so many posters think that because they've played football and watched it on TV, that they suddenly have the knowledge to trash talk the knowledge or skills of people who play or manage top flight football?
I don't lie about people's posts. What I do is comment on what they post and the contents of their posts. I'm at liberty to do that, this is the internet.
I like to take the piss out of daft posts, if that's pompous or condescending to you - then suck it up princess, you posted it, if you can't take the criticism, then stop posting.
I comment on your posts, and the volume, I don't attack you personally. You have to accept that your opinions are not sacrosanct and are out there to be commented on. Deal with it.
I take plenty of abuse of a personal nature, real abusive shit from people, of a personal nature. The worst I've said to you is that you post too much or I disagree with what you say.
I don't tell people that they can't post opinions, but I do tell people that they shouldn't abuse professionals in the game unless they can prove that they have matched or bettered their performances. I'm talking abuse. Shitting people because they didn't achieve things that the abuser could never understand, let alone do better.
I'm neither miserable as a person, nor am I a hypocrite .
I just don't kiss your arse as a poster, and I guess that your condemnation of me is your way of saying that you don't like people to disagree with your opinions.
And let's face it, you share enough of the fucking things.

No.
One.
Cares.

I think most of the criticism he gets other than consistently picking the likes of Maguire is that with the attacking players we have, we should score more than we do and be on the front foot against the better sides more than we generally are. An attack of Kane, Sterling, Foden and Saka should be as dangerous as any in world football. Not to mention we have two of the best wing-backs around in Chilwell and James who offer so much to the attack for Chelsea.

We should be tearing plenty of sides a second arse-hole.

Here's my left field idea. Redknapp in as assistant for the world cup. Because Southgate is basically a negative Harry. Redknapp would at least encourage him to blow the bloody doors off.
Myth. I always found Redknapp to be negative at times, and certainly not tactically astute. Hoddle maybe? Both are past it hence my suggestion of Rodger’s as a short term 2

Back
Top Bottom