****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Saka wanted to take a penalty = ok
But he was so bad after he came in
He was not able to complete a 3meter pass
As a coach you have to say no to this guy
A penalty is 70% self-confidence
So let the players take it which had a good game
Take pressure of them and say we are loosing as a team don't listen to the fans and media when you miss the pen
Pretty sure everyone says ok

He literally brought on Sancho and Rashford with 10 seconds to go just so they can take a pen

Assuming McGuire was a first choice and obviously Kane - that's 4 slots already taken, leaving only the 5th one available. Are you suggesting he went around asking who's keen to take it eventually ending up with Saka? No way, Jose
But ahead of a shootout you don't just assume that it will be only 5 pens, it makes sense to bring on as many of the more "capable" penalty takers at your disposal as possible if you have the subs remaining.

Come crunch time though, there is no way the likes of Sterling and Grealish were up for it but the manager told them no, he's taking the blame as that's what a good leader should do here, but those 5 wouldn't have been his desired choice for the first 5 had everyone been up for it. The players that bottled it deserve more criticism than Southgate, and for me the two names that stand out are Sterling and Grealish in that respect.

I'm no huge Southgate fan btw, he's mediocre at best, but I don't think the penalties in isolation can be blamed on him.

be careful what you wish for

You don't want big brother watching over you at all times.

Part of the joys of the internet is the anonymity, we can't let a few idiots ruin that for everyone else.
Well, unless you have a solid vpn, you are not anonymous on the Internet. You have an IP address and your ISP logs all the IPs you visit. What is important is privacy rights which the EU is incredible on. Right to be forgotten is a beautiful bit of legislation.
Even if one accepts the above as anonymous, it doesn't mean service providers have to keep people's identity a secret. For example, we have money laundering regulations. Surely you agree there should be not be anonymous accounts for banking and financial services? Cypto companies have been getting away with performing regulated activities for too long before that is brought up.

On the other hand, under him it is the first time England were in a World Cup semi-final since 1990 and the first time in the final of a major tounament since 1966. It is hard to argue against that.

This England team is not far off winning a big trophy, I wouldn't mess with it personally.

You can make that argument and it’s a fair one. However England has always been poorly managed certainly during my lifetime, only Hoddle ever played decent football.

If you have Kane, Grealish, Foden, Saka, Sancho, Bellingham, Sterling you have killer attackers. Southgate will need to show over the next 1-2 years a willingness to better use his attacking talents.

The risk is a Spurs situation with an attack weighted squad being coach by a hyper defensive manager like we had under Jose.

Saka wanted to take a penalty = ok
But he was so bad after he came in
He was not able to complete a 3meter pass
As a coach you have to say no to this guy
A penalty is 70% self-confidence
So let the players take it which had a good game
Take pressure of them and say we are loosing as a team don't listen to the fans and media when you miss the pen
Pretty sure everyone says ok

Surely Henderson has to stay on and take one - he's not a great player, but he has the experience and personality to take a penalty.

Now I'm less salty, you have to say fair fucks to the Italians. They're not a special side but they're a very good team and deserved to win the tournament. I do feel they were there for the taking last night but you have to say that if we had won it we would have been one of the least unconvincing winners in the history of the competition.

Also have to laugh at the numpties giving me a 'yellow card' here last night after throwing their toys out of the pram for me calling out those who pretend to support Spurs from afar and yet come on here gloating when England lose. Proper bunch of weirdos. Unless you have a genuine reason to support Tottenham, gtfo. Sick and tired of people supporting football clubs they have no affinity or connection to at all. Planks.

what are you talking about?

Facebook and twitter are banning people left right and centre. They de-platformed a sitting president of the United states.

Cancel culture is very real and has been ramping up for a while now
If that president had been had been happy to go by some obscure username he could have been back on there within minutes.

But ahead of a shootout you don't just assume that it will be only 5 pens, it makes sense to bring on as many of the more "capable" penalty takers at your disposal as possible if you have the subs remaining.

Come crunch time though, there is no way the likes of Sterling and Grealish were up for it but the manager told them no, he's taking the blame as that's what a good leader should do here, but those 5 wouldn't have been his desired choice for the first 5 had everyone been up for it. The players that bottled it deserve more criticism than Southgate, and for me the two names that stand out are Sterling and Grealish in that respect.

I'm no huge Southgate fan btw, he's mediocre at best, but I don't think the penalties in isolation can be blamed on him.
Rashford and Sancho came on to take one of the first 5 pens - there is no argent around that

In the cold light of day if you take the rollercoaster emotions out of it and dissect it, Barring Germany (who are in transition) we had an easy run to the final with huge home advantage, no major injuries and still weren't good enough.

We were good defensively throughout the tournament but shit Waistcoat refused to take off the handbrake, and a poor Ukraine aside we never created nearly enough chances.

All told It was a par performance.

I'm hearing hysterical ramblings that the players are heroes for making a final, sorry but that's a losers mentality.

It's all about winning it, being first best loser is no different to going out in the group stages.

I said it before the tournament and I'll say it again now, Southgate isn't an elite level manager, if we had Mancini and the Italians had Southgate last night we are waking up European champions.

If anything this has just prolonged his stay in charge and given him the opportunity to piss away yet another golden generation.

And that all stems from this backwards notion of being a "heroic loser"

Agree with your main points but it doesn't matter who England beat, people will always try to say that the other teams weren't up to scratch for whatever reason. Nobody at all here mentioned about Germany being in transition when they pumped Portugal. And Denmark were a team everyone else wanted to avoid until England beat them. Then it quickly became "Ahh, well. It's only Denmark."

There was no stand out team in this competition. Even Italy, who were the most worthy winners in the end, were far from great. They looked a poor side against Austria. Got battered at times against Spain. And England let them off the hook yesterday. It's the worst Italian side there's been for a long time in regards to quality.

You realise that the police follow up on hate speech and 9 times out of 10 find and charge the perpetrators right? there have already been lots of arrests.

It's like saying if we bring back the death penalty that will stop murder.

I'm sorry but you won't stop human beings from being assholes. You are trying to plug the hoover damn with your little pinky
They catch the stupid ones who haven't got the brains to hide themselves. They are the minority. Most of the abuse comes from burner accounts which can be replaced in seconds.

It's a damning stat that Harry Kane didn't have one touch inside Italy's box last night in 120 minutes of football.

Explain that one, Gareth?

Should have been on 30 minutes earlier. The Italians were almost panicking every time he got on the ball. And a few of them were on yellow cards.

Southgate fucked us. Give him lots of credit, it's deserved. But last night, he lost that game for us. He got so much wrong.
In my opinion Sothgate lost the game of chess with Mancini. First he pushed Kane back to make Chiellini and Bonucci lose points of reference. The opening goal gave him confidence but then it was a bad signal. Kane has practically disappeared: you can't put the best striker in Europe away from the opponent's goal.
Mancini was consistent, leaving the insignificant Immobile only to change the whole front of the attack. And then the decisive mistake: letting the two forwards enter with 1 minute left. They went to take penalties without the right concentration. However, it was a victory on points: an honor to England for being once again one of the powers of world football.

PS: We weren't lucky: losing Chiesa was a huge blow. Seeing Belotti on the pitch makes you cry for how he is scarse

In my opinion Sothgate lost the game of chess with Mancini. First he pushed Kane back to make Chiellini and Bonucci lose points of reference. The opening goal gave him confidence but then it was a bad signal. Kane has practically disappeared: you can't put the best striker in Europe away from the opponent's goal.
Mancini was consistent, leaving the insignificant Immobile only to change the whole front of the attack. And then the decisive mistake: letting the two forwards enter with 1 minute left. They went to take penalties without the right concentration. However, it was a victory on points: an honor to England for being once again one of the powers of world football.

PS: We weren't lucky: losing Chiesa was a huge blow. Seeing Belotti on the pitch makes you cry for how he is scarse

I don't think anyone has said Italy were lucky. I certainly haven't. You were worthy winners. But we definitely let you off the hook in the first 20 minutes when we were well on top. We should have gone for the throat then, or just continued to play football, but instead we had the mentality suddenly that we could defend the one goal lead for 90 minutes which is always dangerous, and extremely naïve.

Italy and Mancini did a job on us. But we also allowed that to happen. So frustrating.

what are you talking about?

Facebook and twitter are banning people left right and centre. They de-platformed a sitting president of the United states.

Cancel culture is very real and has been ramping up for a while now

That's true I am on a bird keeping forum and posts with the word "Cock" are immediately deleted and reported!!

In the cold light of day if you take the rollercoaster emotions out of it and dissect it, Barring Germany (who are in transition) we had an easy run to the final with huge home advantage, no major injuries and still weren't good enough.

We were good defensively throughout the tournament but shit Waistcoat refused to take off the handbrake, and a poor Ukraine aside we never created nearly enough chances.

All told It was a par performance.

I'm hearing hysterical ramblings that the players are heroes for making a final, sorry but that's a losers mentality.

It's all about winning it, being first best loser is no different to going out in the group stages.

I said it before the tournament and I'll say it again now, Southgate isn't an elite level manager, if we had Mancini and the Italians had Southgate last night we are waking up European champions.

If anything this has just prolonged his stay in charge and given him the opportunity to piss away yet another golden generation.

And that all stems from this backwards notion of being a "heroic loser"
Bold part is your best point. I don't understand why Southgate was so negative in the second half. I thought Italians were on the ropes and only one final blow missing for England to win it.

Mancini pushed more for the win during the ET, and you'd thought Southgate had some confidence to go on penalties, but this wasn't the case either.

Turned out that Mancini was more prepared than him for this final in every aspect.

That is how England set up all tournament, Harry drops, feeds a wide player who crosses to somebody arriving in front of goal, usually Sterling at pace or H arriving late. Most of England's goals came that way.

That is how England set up all tournament, Harry drops, feeds a wide player who crosses to somebody arriving in front of goal, usually Sterling at pace or H arriving late. Most of England's goals came that way.

Italy generally sit deep and don't really allow runners in behind though. It's fine playing that way when the opposition allows you to but the Italians knew they would get killed in behind by the likes of Sterling so they didn't allow it to happen. I'm all for Kane dropping deep in the right games but yesterday he needed to keep his arse in the box.

I don't think anyone has said Italy were lucky. I certainly haven't. You were worthy winners. But we definitely let you off the hook in the first 20 minutes when we were well on top. We should have gone for the throat then, or just continued to play football, but instead we had the mentality suddenly that we could defend the one goal lead for 90 minutes which is always dangerous, and extremely naïve.

Italy and Mancini did a job on us. But we also allowed that to happen. So frustrating.
The first 20 minutes I feared the knockout blow because we were confused: that's where I was surprised to see a champion like Kane being a midfielder.

Back
Top Bottom