****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rashford and Sancho came on to take one of the first 5 pens - there is no argent around that
They came on to take pens, no argument there, but they could have only ended up being in the first 5 when Southgate spoke to the team after ET and found Sterling and Grealish (for example again) didn't fancy it.

That we will likely never know.

To day the nation feels like Spurs fans. It's a shared pain but for us merely pain squared, even the national team matters as much.

Happy to say it doesn't for me. Can't be doing the hypocrisy of it.

Fair point - I still would have had him taking one ahead of Saka.
When he went off I was pleased as he's no pen taker and clearly Southgate was organising the team to take pens. I obviously don't know at this point who is slated to take one, anyone but Henderson would have been my shout (I take this view as his previous pens have all been really poor, rather than unlucky where the 'keeper has pulled off a great save or something).

I know Saka is a gooner but seems a good lad - Southgate could well have broken him mentally after this - absolute scenes. Any manager worth his socks can see when a player isn't confident to take a pen

Wow - fair play to Grealish to speak up!

Southgate is finished now surely - resign gracefully? All success was in spite of him - not his tactical 'ability'
This isn't true at all. He got a lot right, but was too conservative during the final. He isn't finished. He's taken a country humiliated against Iceland to a World Cup semi and now a Euro final. He needs to take the handbrake off but he'll learn to do that. This is a very young squad which will get better with him.

Wow - fair play to Grealish to speak up!

Southgate is finished now surely - resign gracefully? All success was in spite of him - not his tactical 'ability'
Theres are world cup next year. FA shouldnt be tolerating Gary's negative football for another big tournament. First time in a while we have many excellent players in the national team. Cant let gary fuck it up.

When he went off I was pleased as he's no pen taker and clearly Southgate was organising the team to take pens. I obviously don't know at this point who is slated to take one, anyone but Henderson would have been my shout (I take this view as his previous pens have all been really poor, rather than unlucky where the 'keeper has pulled off a great save or something).

No DCL was quite the indictment of the manager's thoughts of the player.

Personally I'd have put money on Rashford missing.

This isn't true at all. He got a lot right, but was too conservative during the final. He isn't finished. He's taken a country humiliated against Iceland to a World Cup semi and now a Euro final. He needs to take the handbrake off but he'll learn to do that. This is a very young squad which will get better with him.
He won't learn anything though - will play the same turgid shit with 2 holding mids and sit back for the counter for 90 mins. The fact he believes Mount is part of his best 11 is a major concern on his own

He was so desperate to take one that a terrified teenager ended up taking the walk from the centre circle for the decisive kick, all because big bad Gary Southgate forced him to do it.

If he's looked at the volunteers and decided that Saka was the best bet for that pen, it's because Grealish stood there meekly saying "I will" and shitting himself stupid when asked if he'd take one.

The fact that in that scenario Southgate chooses Saka over JG, for me, is more damning of Grealish than Southgate.

As for Grealish, he ought to wind his neck in and go back to faffing with his alice band and miniature shinpads if he wants to be in the WC squad, as that comment, however he's tried to dress it up, is shunting all the blame onto Southgate, who has already admirably taken the the burden himself IMO.

Again, I'm no Southgate fan by any stretch, he's a decent bloke but very limited manager, but I think he's been let down big time by some of his players when it comes to the pens. The 120 minute back 7 clusterfuck that preceded it though is all his.

Theres are world cup next year. FA shouldnt be tolerating Gary's negative football for another big tournament. First time in a while we have many excellent players in the national team. Cant let gary fuck it up.
Bench prob as good as first 11 bar Kane - bring ins someone progressive and brave - this man is a fraud

Back
Top Bottom