****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He won't learn anything though - will play the same turgid shit with 2 holding mids and sit back for the counter for 90 mins. The fact he believes Mount is part of his best 11 is a major concern on his own
It's a decent system that needs tweaking, not throwing out. The system that beat Germany and thrashed Ukraine, then overcome a strong Denmark. He needs to tweak it to bring Kane into the game.

Wow - fair play to Grealish to speak up!

Southgate is finished now surely - resign gracefully? All success was in spite of him - not his tactical 'ability'

No chance, making a final has bought him at least two tournaments worth of grace.

I mean I agree with you that coming first best loser is no achievement at all, but in this country we seem to be so accustomed to being glorious losers that just making a final or semi final is practically immortalised.

losing mentality = perennial losers

He was so desperate to take one that a terrified teenager ended up taking the walk from the centre circle for the decisive kick, all because big bad Gary Southgate forced him to do it.

If he's looked at the volunteers and decided that Saka was the best bet for that pen, it's because Grealish stood there meekly saying "I will" and shitting himself stupid when asked if he'd take one.

The fact that in that scenario Southgate chooses Saka over JG, for me, is more damning of Grealish than Southgate.

As for Grealish, he ought to wind his neck in and go back to faffing with his alice band and miniature shinpads if he wants to be in the WC squad, as that comment, however he's tried to dress it up, is shunting all the blame onto Southgate, who has already admirably taken the the burden himself IMO.

Again, I'm no Southgate fan by any stretch, he's a decent bloke but very limited manager, but I think he's been let down big time by some of his players when it comes to the pens. The 120 minute back 7 clusterfuck that preceded it though is all his.

England never win penalty shootouts

Everyone should know this and do everything to try to avoid them

Instead Southgate spent all of the last two matches trying to draw

I know Saka is a gooner but seems a good lad - Southgate could well have broken him mentally after this - absolute scenes. Any manager worth his socks can see when a player isn't confident to take a pen
Maybe he was looking at the others and Saka was the most confident of the lot though? Says a lot about the rest of the side that Saka ended up taking that kick, there's just no way that there were 6 other guys were busting to take that kick but the manager turned them all away in favor of Saka.

Whatever you think about his managerial capabilities, that would be a ridiculous level of self sabotage.

He was so desperate to take one that a terrified teenager ended up taking the walk from the centre circle for the decisive kick, all because big bad Gary Southgate forced him to do it.

If he's looked at the volunteers and decided that Saka was the best bet for that pen, it's because Grealish stood there meekly saying "I will" and shitting himself stupid when asked if he'd take one.

The fact that in that scenario Southgate chooses Saka over JG, for me, is more damning of Grealish than Southgate.

As for Grealish, he ought to wind his neck in and go back to faffing with his alice band and miniature shinpads if he wants to be in the WC squad, as that comment, however he's tried to dress it up, is shunting all the blame onto Southgate, who has already admirably taken the the burden himself IMO.

Again, I'm no Southgate fan by any stretch, he's a decent bloke but very limited manager, but I think he's been let down big time by some of his players when it comes to the pens. The 120 minute back 7 clusterfuck that preceded it though is all his.

Confidence is a two way street in that context.....

How much faith/confidence did Gary show in Jack & Sancho during the tournament?

Also ,don't think it's right to say Jack's tweet throws Gary under the bus either..... The tweet itself literally backs the manager's decision. He's just kicking back at the trolls.... Good for him.

totally agree, we would have been better of chucking on the attacking players for extra time and going for it, was inevitable once we got to pens.

The very last play of extra time we get a throw deep in their half, its got to go into the box but it got thrown backwards to Phillips and the ref blew.

indicative of the negativity in the team.

I've blitzed my house this morning, got the girls to school only slightly late.

Feeling chipper. We had a glorious defeat, Kane played like Drogba for much of the match.

Agreed, but blaming him for it going to pens at all is one thing, blaming him for the 5 names chosen to take them is a more complex issue though.

It's a decent system that needs tweaking, not throwing out. The system that beat Germany and thrashed Ukraine, then overcome a strong Denmark. He needs to tweak it to bring Kane into the game.

It's always going to be tough to swallow Kane & Sterling being the only attacking players on the pitch when you look at this squad.

Confidence is a two way street in that context.....

How much faith/confidence did Gary show in Jack & Sancho during the tournament?

Also ,don't think it's right to say Jack's tweet throws Gary under the bus either..... The tweet itself literally backs the manager's decision. He's just kicking back at the trolls.... Good for him.
Nah, his words are backing Southgate, but the intent there is to absolve himself of any blame, which in this instance puts it squarely onto Southgate.

Southgate, a guy that's already said it's on him and not the players, so there's no need for this, not the day after.

It's a petulant tweet solely to say "don't blame me"...

Too soon?

E6Djqc2XMAUGm4a

E6DjqSTXMAA_cYb

That was the closest Kane has come to matching Berbatov in taking the ball at ridiculous angles and instigating play. Wish he had the body to do that for 90 consistently.

If the rest of our attackers came as close to their peak as Kane did, he would have had a brace, or, we would have won comfortably as others should have scored or put him in (so many last second blocks in the ball after Kanes, or, the ball back in to him).

It's always going to be tough to swallow Kane & Sterling being the only attacking players on the pitch when you look at this squad.
The back 7 when you're strongest areas player wise are attacking is not a decent system, it was unnecessary and cowardly, allowed England to rack up clean sheet stats against largely weak opposition, and absolutely should be thrown out.

It was boring and functional, limited Kane, and people got overexcited with wins over a past it Germany and a poor Ukraine.

Nah, his words are backing Southgate, but the intent there is to absolve himself of any blame, which in this instance puts it squarely onto Southgate.

Southgate, a guy that's already said it's on him and not the players, so there's no need for this, not the day after.

It's a petulant tweet solely to say "don't blame me"...

This is only true if you completely disregard the content of his tweet.

Grealish is stating a fact after people like Keane are implying that he chickened out.
I wonder, looking at the history of the tournament, does Southgate have something against JG?

He's not a runner. Southgate loves runners. If Forrest Gump was real and had an English Granny he'd be starting for us.

Maybe he was looking at the others and Saka was the most confident of the lot though? Says a lot about the rest of the side that Saka ended up taking that kick, there's just no way that there were 6 other guys were busting to take that kick but the manager turned them all away in favor of Saka.

Whatever you think about his managerial capabilities, that would be a ridiculous level of self sabotage.
I don’t think it’s sabotage just cluelessness

Back
Top Bottom