England vs Italy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I feel like the wool that has been over peoples eyes since Russia is being taken off.

Southgate is a nobody. England are good enough to qualify for tournaments without a coach, let alone Southgate as coach.
They get to the tournaments and struggle to get past any one who is half decent.

WC 2018
Beat: Panama, Tunisia & Sweden.
Drew: Columbia
Lost - Belgium (twice) and Croatia

Euro 2020(1)
Beat: Croatia (IMO, they peaked at Russia 3 years earlier) Ukraine, Czech Rep, Germany (at their lowest ebb in ever) Denmark
Drew: Scotland (fucking shite)
*Lost: Italy - was a draw over 90 minutes but as it was the final, and we didn't win, it was a loss

Since Southgate, when have England beaten a top side when said side was at their peak?
I can't recall one.

Fair point who would you replace him with realistically.

I feel like the wool that has been over peoples eyes since Russia is being taken off.

Southgate is a nobody. England are good enough to qualify for tournaments without a coach, let alone Southgate as coach.
They get to the tournaments and struggle to get past any one who is half decent.

WC 2018
Beat: Panama, Tunisia & Sweden.
Drew: Columbia
Lost - Belgium (twice) and Croatia

Euro 2020(1)
Beat: Croatia (IMO, they peaked at Russia 3 years earlier) Ukraine, Czech Rep, Germany (at their lowest ebb in ever) Denmark
Drew: Scotland (fucking shite)
*Lost: Italy - was a draw over 90 minutes but as it was the final, and we didn't win, it was a loss

Since Southgate, when have England beaten a top side when said side was at their peak?
I can't recall one.

It doesn't matter who England beat, in the eyes of some it will always be because there was something wrong with the opposition. Germany suddenly became a lot more shit the moment we beat them in the Euros. Had we got over the line against Italy, some people would have been talking about how weak they are on paper compared to a lot of previous Italy teams instead of the fact that they were breaking records.

The mighty France who everybody slobbers over got put out by Switzerland. Sometimes beating the lesser teams all the time isn't quite as simple as some try to make out.

Fair point who would you replace him with.

If it wasn't this thread that I already said it in, I'd be looking at the likes of Parker, Howe, Potter or even Cooper. They all seem to actually know how to set a team up and have all seen their teams actually do something.

For the record though, I don't think sacking him now, before the WC achieves anything at all.

I feel like Southgate's idea was to build from the back, be defensively secure. Kinda done that, England are hard to beat, but hasn't really evolved since then. Don't think Southgate has it in him

He hasn't kind of done that. He has done that. We've lost two games in a couple of years, one of those a penalty shootout, and have one of the top few defensive records in Europe during his tenure.

If I was to pick an English side based on form and also to utilise our attacking talents I would go

Ramsdale (GK is weak area so don’t know)
James Stones Tomori Chilwell
Bellingham Rice
Bowen Foden Maddison
Kane

It doesn't matter who England beat, in the eyes of some it will always be because there was something wrong with the opposition. Germany suddenly became a lot more shit the moment we beat them in the Euros. Had we got over the line against Italy, some people would have been talking about how weak they are on paper compared to a lot of previous Italy teams instead of the fact that they were breaking records.

The mighty France who everybody slobbers over got put out by Switzerland. Sometimes beating the lesser teams isn't quite as simple as a lot try to make out.

I don't really want to debate with you as you are totally convinced everyone else is wrong.
You seem to be about as open to discussion on the subject of England as the likes of Sammispurs and the other idiot were on the Kane thread.

I hope you enjoy the WC when England go out the first time they play a half decent team.

I don't really want to debate with you as you are totally convinced everyone else is wrong.
You seem to be about as open to discussion on the subject of England as the likes of Sammispurs and the other idiot were on the Kane thread.

I hope you enjoy the WC when England go out the first time they play a half decent team.

Just pointing out facts. I wouldn't really care if Southgate walked today. But some people (not saying you are one of those) will do anything to give England as little credit as possible no matter what they do.

He hasn't kind of done that. He has done that. We've lost two games in c couple of years, one a penalty shootout, and have one of the top few defensive records in Europe during his tenure.
We lost 3 times in Russia - twice to Belgium (including the 3rd/4th place playoff) and we lost to Croatia.
We haven't beaten a good team at the top of their game for a long time.

If you can keep a straight face and tell me the win against Germany was 2 teams at their best I suggest you get help.
This is the same Germany that lost to North Macedonia.

Just pointing out facts. I wouldn't really care if Southgate walked today. But some people (not saying you are one of those) will do anything to give England as little credit as possible no matter what they do.
What facts?
You're not pointing out any facts. You're just saying whatever you want to try to convince yourself and others that England aren't boring and won't win anything. You've convinced yourself that fluking our wa to a semi and a final and falling down as soon as a well organised team turns up somehow makes us contenders.
you've convinced yourself that all of the above makes the wet blanket in charge somehow good at what he does despite there being no evidence he does anything. How do you know that with a coach that has a plan, this squad couldn't actually be the next Spain and win back to back tournaments?

We lost 3 times in Russia - twice to Belgium (including the 3rd/4th place playoff) and we lost to Croatia.
We haven't beaten a good team at the top of their game for a long time.

If you can keep a straight face and tell me the win against Germany was 2 teams at their best I suggest you get help.
This is the same Germany that lost to North Macedonia.

Never said Germany were at their best. But I'd put them on the same sort of level as us. They're not what they once were but still have some top players, the likes of Kimmich, Goretzka, Gnabry and Muller etc etc. I don't consider England as being among the very best so any victory over Germany is an achievement. Germany losing to North Macedonia means nothing. The likes of France and Portugal drop points in random games now and again that they should be strolling.

We haven't played a top team at the top of their game since Belgium, which was what, 4 years ago now?

He hasn't kind of done that. He has done that. We've lost two games in a couple of years, one of those a penalty shootout, and have one of the top few defensive records in Europe during his tenure.
Operative word being build from the back. We are solid defensively, but we don't have comprehensive options or build up from the back.

We know how to finish for sure.

But how to get the ball from Pickford, Stones and Maguire forwards remains a problem. Come up against a decent midfield (Croatia, Italy) and we're undone

Operative word being build from the back. We are solid defensively, but we don't have comprehensive options or build up from the back.

We know how to finish for sure.

But how to get the ball from Pickford, Stones and Maguire forwards remains a problem. Come up against a decent midfield (Croatia, Italy) and we're undone

We weren't undone though. We were by far the better team against Croatia in the first half four years ago but simply didn't get the killer second goal, and then quickly ran out of steam in the second. It's as simple as that. Against Italy we played like one goal was going to be enough as soon as we got it, and in the end it wasn't. It's always a dangerous game to play no matter how good you might be defensively. Southgate takes a lot of responsibility for those losses. But it was for different reasons we lost.

What facts?
You're not pointing out any facts. You're just saying whatever you want to try to convince yourself and others that England aren't boring and won't win anything. You've convinced yourself that fluking our wa to a semi and a final and falling down as soon as a well organised team turns up somehow makes us contenders.
you've convinced yourself that all of the above makes the wet blanket in charge somehow good at what he does despite there being no evidence he does anything. How do you know that with a coach that has a plan, this squad couldn't actually be the next Spain and win back to back tournaments?

Southgate's plan was clearly to make us strong defensively and difficult to beat. Even Forrest Gump could see he's achieved that. Considering everyone was saying how shocking we were defensively when he took over, and that the defence was always going to be the downfall of the team no matter what attacking players we have, he deserves a lot of credit for what he's done. We all know his next step is to get more out of our team as an attacking force while also still keeping us hard to beat and difficult to score against, and that remains to be seen whether he can. I have as many doubts as others. But some of the criticism is way over the top. We've not played well at all for a few games now but have still only lost one of them. Let's see how we do tomorrow in front of a full stadium and then also at home to Germany. Win both of those games and just maybe the doom and gloom merchants can rest easy for a little while.

We weren't undone though. We were by far the better team against Croatia in the first half four years ago but simply didn't get the killer second goal, and then quickly ran out of steam in the second. It's as simple as that. Against Italy we played like one goal was going to be enough as soon as we got it, and in the end it wasn't. It's always a dangerous game to play no matter how good you might be defensively. Southgate takes a lot of responsibility for those losses. But it was for different reasons we lost.
Kinda saying the same thing. Both games were lost for us in midfield, both times last third of match became oppo controlling the game.

People often say it's England's choice to sit back in games. Not convinced. We sit back because our midfield gets overrun and we can't control the ball. Quick punt up to Sterling against a 6ft defender and back it comes.

Southgate's plan was clearly to make us strong defensively and difficult to beat. Even Forrest Gump could see he's achieved that. Considering everyone was saying how shocking we were defensively when he took over, and that the defence was always going to be the downfall of the team no matter what attacking players we have, he deserves a lot of credit for what he's done. We all know his next step is to get more out of our team as an attacking force while also still keeping us hard to beat and difficult to score against, and that remains to be seen whether he can. I have as many doubts as others. But some of the criticism is way over the top. We've not played well at all for a few games now but have still only lost one of them. Let's see how we do tomorrow in front of a full stadium and then also at home to Germany.
I think the criticism is because we've been here before. Incredible collection of talent, getting the basics right but then never improving. Why are we not improving? If we fail in Qatar it will be Kane's prime over and the story continues. Virtually all foreign commentary is unanimous in England having crazy attacking talent but unable to employ it.

I think the criticism is because we've been here before. Incredible collection of talent, getting the basics right but then never improving. Why are we not improving? If we fail in Qatar it will be Kane's prime over and the story continues. Virtually all foreign commentary is unanimous in England having crazy attacking talent but unable to employ it.

Had we won the three Nations League games so far there would be people saying we'd already won the World Cup. That's how fickle opinions can be in football. The players are collectively knackered and although I have no doubts our squad enjoy playing for their county now, which hasn't always been the case, there's no doubt them some of them would prefer to be sitting with their legs up after a gruelling season.

We we really poor against Hungary but we at least created plenty of chances in both the games against Germany and Italy. The goals will come and the victories will return, I'm sure starting tomorrow evening.

Had we won the three Nations League games so far there would be people saying we'd already won the World Cup. That's how fickle opinions can be in football. The players are collectively knackered and although I have no doubts our squad enjoy playing for their county now, which hasn't always been the case, there's no doubt them some of them would prefer to be sitting with their legs up after a gruelling season.

We we really poor against Hungary but we at least created plenty of chances in both the games against Germany and Italy. The goals will come and the victories will return, I'm sure starting tomorrow evening.

England are shit, and a win over Hungary won't change that.

Germany and Italy were both far the superior teams in those respective games.

:levyeyes::adegrin:

City Life Art GIF by Sherchle

Tbh ... it's not far off the truth! Got outplayed by Italy C ffs.

We didn't though, did we? 12 shots to their 8, 4 on target to their 3, two corners each. England had more possession (60%) and a considerably better passing accuracy.

But if you keep telling yourself something that's not true enough times I'm sure you'll actually start to believe that it is.

We didn't though, did we? 12 shots to their 8, 4 on target to their 3, two corners each. England had more possession (60%) and a considerably better passing accuracy.

But if you keep telling yourself something that's not true enough times I'm sure you'll actually start to believe that it is.

I thought your stance on previous games was that having more possession did not make one team 'better'.

:sonpoint:

Back
Top Bottom