ERADICATE TO ACCUMULATE:

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Joe Clash Joe Clash and gibbs131 I think you each might find this useful given the topic at hand:

h1sfw4O.png

Have to admit, this table has me a bit :lennon: towards Davies.

Rodriguez' stats are absolutely ridiculous. I don't think we'd be able to prize him away from Wolfsburg with all that VDub money, but good God dem stats 'do.

Seriously, I think Poch is going to ship out some of our players, and bring two or three in.

I think we're going to see a considerable amount out, each for their own various unique reasons, some of which not even pertaining to Poch (i.e. Vallecano activating the buy clause on Falque). But I do think we'll see some thinning out with the goal of more balance. As you imply, the incomings don't have to be anywhere close to as many outgoings to achieve this. I think we'll see at least two or three first team replacements, and a couple more on top of them to compete at other positions.

Last edited:
Southampton managed to keep a very tight defense with the likes of Fonté, Yoshida and Hoiveld playing regularly at CB. Of course there's problems to be addressed especially considering Kaboul's fitness and I would love Lovren to come in but for me, there's no doubt that finding a suitable LB is our main priority.

If we're going to play a similar system, as to what Poch did at Saints, then we need a LB capable of providing width, crosses and incisive passes when the left winger/forward pushes in and Rose is not that player.

Rodriguez attacking statistics are heavily inflated by the fact that he's a fantastic set piece taker. That's a great strength of course, but redundant for us considering we have Eriksen. Great player nonetheless.

I find it incredibly difficult to take anyone seriously when they have the view of

When they like the player
"that player was shit because he had to play with that other player. He made him shit"
"No, he was being played out of position, it was {someone else}'s fault"

When they don't like the player
"He's crap, get rid of him"
"He made the team weaker, he's always been shit and always will be"

I guess that's the difference been debate and analysis, and opinion.

Next season will be very interesting not for of who we sign, but who stays - it's a chance for a lot of them to turn it around, and some to prove that they are more than a flash in the pan.

Thats true. He thought we needed a Japanese midfielder in Jan and I wanted Ade back, a left back and Townsend and Lennon dropped. In fact I wanted that before the season started.
Interesting. You wanted Ade back before the season started? He hadn't been exiled at that point. And Townsend hadn't even played for us, and you wanted him dropped?

Amazing foresight Gibbs.

Really? We have Daws, Jan, Kaboul, Vlad, Fryers etc. And Danny Rose.
Fryers is a left back by trade. We played him at CB due to injuries.
unproven midget Kono in front of him.
Ukrainian international, 5' 9" Konoplyanka. Not unproven, not particularly small.

What I've said is I want experience and leadership at left back.

IMO we need players who still have some oomf left, but can get out young squad inspired.

I actually think we need 2. One old, one young prospect if we don't already have one and a Benny in a pair tree. Rose IMO is not a defender and if used, he should be a last ditch option on the wing.
Ashley Cole. :levyeyes: Or failing that more realistic (kinda) Patrice Evra.
Agree. I'd take Ashley Cole every day of the week. I think he'd be an ideal candidate.I'd be willing to give Rose one more season under someone of his experience to try and learn his trade. He has potential I feel. But Cole would be first choice easy.

I'd take Evra also, if he was available.

And I'd take Lescott on a free for his experience. I want us to lose lots of money on wages because I think they will help us turn the corner.

I've also convinced myself that Jedinak would be a fucking amazing fullback. And I am anti square pegs in round holes. He often finds himself on the wings as a DM in defense and he fucking destroys everything that comes close to him. He is pretty bad at getting forward, but IMO he is really underrated and can be a utility player for someone.
I'd have Lescott as well, though I'd prefer Micah Richards.

I most definitely wouldn't have Jedinak, not in any position. He would not be an upgrade on Danny Rose. The bloke is in no way full back material. Crystal Palace is his level, and he should stay there.

Rodriguez attacking statistics are heavily inflated by the fact that he's a fantastic set piece taker. That's a great strength of course, but redundant for us considering we have Eriksen. Great player nonetheless.

Indeed, but his score is almost four times the closest competitor and six times the rest, that disparity includes contribution well beyond the free kicks.

Indeed, but his score is almost four times the closest competitor and six times the rest, that disparity includes contribution well beyond the free kicks.

He's definitely a great player. I've not watched him that much but he always stands out. One thing that appeals to me, when it comes to Rodriguez is his defensive abilities. He's definitely better in that area, than most of what we could realistically get that would still provide an attacking threat.

Interesting. You wanted Ade back before the season started? He hadn't been exiled at that point. And Townsend hadn't even played for us, and you wanted him dropped? Amazing foresight Gibbs.

Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed to Sky Sports he had private and public fall-outs with boss Andre Villas-Boas before the Portuguese coach cast him into exile at the start of this season.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/281755.html

I was in the minority voting nay for Townsend early in the season. (I had other negative posts regarding his ability in the final third previous but that forum gets nuked after a year has past unless it gets bumped)

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.u...25&start=1&highlight=townsend&highlightmode=1

I most definitely wouldn't have Jedinak, not in any position. He would not be an upgrade on Danny Rose. The bloke is in no way full back material. Crystal Palace is his level, and he should stay there.

I understand that is a bit out there. It's just when he's played against us (and we have our tiny dancers on the wing drawing him out there) more often than not he is just a beast. I also like him for his leadership qualities. I want a left back that can tackle and holds the line without bombing forward. We need cover if my preferred team has 4 attackers. He's just one of those players off the ball that keeps on catching my eye for all of the unsung work he does. A lot of passes don't get made just because of his positioning, shadowing, intimidation and engine. Just do me a favor...Watch him close next time you watch him play.

Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed to Sky Sports he had private and public fall-outs with boss Andre Villas-Boas before the Portuguese coach cast him into exile at the start of this season.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/281755.html
Let me get this straight -

You say you wanted Adebayor back before the season started

I said he hasn't been exiled at that point

You post a link to a story dated 9th Feb 2014 revealing Ade fell out with AVB pre-season. So you knew they had fallen out and wanted Ade back before anyone else knew, even the media?

Again - amazing foresight Gibbs.

I was in the minority voting nay for Townsend early in the season. (I had other negative posts regarding his ability in the final third previous but that forum gets nuked after a year has past unless it gets bumped)

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.u...25&start=1&highlight=townsend&highlightmode=1
Fair enough. He is very young and with the right coaching, he can be vital for us next season.

I understand that is a bit out there. It's just when he's played against us (and we have our tiny dancers on the wing drawing him out there) more often than not he is just a beast. I also like him for his leadership qualities. I want a left back that can tackle and holds the line without bombing forward. We need cover if my preferred team has 4 attackers. He's just one of those players off the ball that keeps on catching my eye for all of the unsung work he does. A lot of passes don't get made just because of his positioning, shadowing, intimidation and engine. Just do me a favor...Watch him close next time you watch him play.

A bit out there!! Jedinak has never played full back, I'm not sure where this idea came to you to be honest!

Anyway, for someone slating Danny Rose for being a left winger in defence, the solution is not to put a central midfielder there either. Your previous suggests of Cole and Evra would be a much better move.

I'm also keen to see Fredericks come through this season, and wonder if someone could teach him to use his left foot and put him out there, given Walker is one of the first names on the team sheet so he won't get a chance at right back.

I think we're going to see a considerable amount out

And you will be wrong IMO. Like I said, you fap so much about moving players on (the Poch system, 30 years old is ageing, Pochs system!, wage drag, get better players with transfer money, he wont match the system!, i believe all transfer rumors!) that is has you frothing.

There may be a few like Siggy, Livermore, Holtby or Soldado but I think most of the squad that featured heavily under Tim will remain in place. Usual loans will probably happen.

I know you said left back is way less a concern than centerback but I think lb will be addressed and as far as the starting 11 is concerned I would be surprised if there are more than 3 new faces that feature heavily at the start of the season despite having big tv rights money.

And you will be wrong IMO. Like I said, you fap so much about moving players on (the Poch system, 30 years old is ageing, Pochs system!, wage drag, get better players with transfer money, he wont match the system!, i believe all transfer rumors!) that is has you frothing.

There may be a few like Siggy, Livermore, Holtby or Soldado but I think most of the squad that featured heavily under Tim will remain in place. Usual loans will probably happen.

I know you said left back is way less a concern than centerback but I think lb will be addressed and as far as the starting 11 is concerned I would be surprised if there are more than 3 new faces that feature heavily at the start of the season despite having big tv rights money.

It's funny, your second paragraph actually suggests we're in agreement for the most part on the matter. The only players from the "squad that featured heavily under Tim" that I think will be sold are Naughton, Lennon, Siggy, Dembele, one of Dawson or Kaboul, and one of Soldado or Ade; while you also believe Rose out, Soldado out, and Dawson out. So in truth Gibbsy ol boy, we actually disagree on no difference in net movement of players out. So wuddya say, you drop this vendetta eh?

It's funny, your second paragraph actually suggests we're in agreement for the most part on the matter. The only players from the "squad that featured heavily under Tim" that I think will be sold are Naughton, Lennon, Siggy, Dembele, one of Dawson or Kaboul, and one of Soldado or Ade; while you also believe Rose out, Soldado out, and Dawson out. So in truth Gibbsy ol boy, we actually disagree on no difference in net movement of players out. So wuddya say, you drop this vendetta eh?

Considerable is different to what I suggested. You have not changed your tune, and I have faith in the players we have bar your boys rose, Townsend etc.

It was a bullshit nit picking tactic to pick that out in the first place, no need to double down on your faux outrage.
Not a tactic. You were attacking cahspur cahspur on every little detail and I thought I'd query it. Obviously I was right, as you have no answer.

Interestingly, you also keep mentioning this Japanese midfielder that he wanted in Jan (be interested to know who by the way) that you seem adamant would have been a bullshit signing. Yet in another thread just today you stated you wouldn't make a good manager as you do not know players outside Spurs.

So you don't know any players outside Spurs, but when it suits you are happy to pass judgement on someone elses recommended signing and repeatedly make reference to it as if to suggest it was a ludicrous suggestion?

Interestingly, you also keep mentioning this Japanese midfielder that he wanted in Jan (be interested to know who by the way) that you seem adamant would have been a bullshit signing. Yet in another thread just today you stated you wouldn't make a good manager as you do not know players outside Spurs.

I think they're talking about Keisuke Honda.

Back
Top Bottom