ERADICATE TO ACCUMULATE:

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Saints have a top left back. We don't.

Indeed, but they also didn't have the quality we have spread throughout the rest of the squad. The system is not based on the individual ability at any one position, or even several for that matter, it is about identifying the unique traits of each player and building it to suit those traits. With us, it may not be necessarily with the left back, but he could yet build something all the more incredible around having a top player at RW for instance if Lamela blossoms.

Indeed, but they also didn't have the quality we have spread throughout the rest of the squad. The system is not based on the individual ability at any one position, or even several for that matter, it is about identifying the unique traits of each player and building it to suit those traits. With us, it may not be necessarily with the left back, but he could yet build something all the more incredible around having a top player at RW for instance if Lamela blossoms.
That's a lot of ifs. You can't build a team around an injured RW. Any system you care to play goes to shit if you have a weak link. The trick is to eradicate the weak link.

That makes no sense. You seem to be suggesting that LB is a position you can gloss over. I say again, every team we played last season, targeted LB, because they knew it was our weak link. And we got caned.

No, I'm not saying we can "gloss over it" at all, I'm saying that having a top quality player at any specific position is not necessary to his system. The point is that he adapts to what he has, and it's this very rationale Levy cites in his reason for the hire of Poch.

No, I'm not saying we can "gloss over it" at all, I'm saying that having a top quality player at any specific position is not necessary to his system. The point is that he adapts to what he has, and it's this very rationale Levy cites in his reason for the hire of Poch.
No, I don't agree. Poch will dump 4-6 of our players imo. He won't 'just make do' with what we have.

No, I don't agree. Poch will dump 4-6 of our players imo. He won't 'just make do' with what we have.

I think he will as well, just as he did with players at Saints. But some of those players he removed, such as Gaston Ramirez, were very influential to Adkins' plans and yet he removed him to bring forth another young lad, a lad who is now being chased for an incredible amount of money by Liverpool. It goes both ways, there are some influential players he's moved; and some previously deemed fringe or non-contributory that he made into very good players at Saints.

That's a lot of ifs. You can't build a team around an injured RW. Any system you care to play goes to shit if you have a weak link. The trick is to eradicate the weak link.

That was an example mate. My point is that he doesn't build around any specific position or player anyway, he uses the players he deems fit for his system and by building them into it, he improves the entire team and those players along with it.

You KNOW this. How?

From deducing a pattern that there is no one consistent position of quality throughout his previous teams coached, noticing that he uses the traits of players in unique roles because of their ability (such as coupling Rodriguez almost parallel to the striker because of his ability to make runs in behind while the defense addressed him as though a winger with Ward-Prowse's super crossing ability), and reading about Poch's previous works.

I didn't want Poch, I much preferred de Boer. But some people very adamantly in support of him, and I couldn't see why. So I took it upon myself to read and find out why so many wanted him so badly. The points these people have made, some of which included in what I'm relaying to you now, were quite impressive and very exciting.

Is LB a problem? Yes. Is CB a problem? Yes. Are either really having a massive effect on our development as a club? Not massive, no..

Not massive? Vert had to play left aback and got injured, rose was fucking terrible in general and got injured, naughton was played out of position and was terrible, fryers was played out of position also which is a big ask of him and hampers his true position.

What else happened? With rose next to him, vert went from toast of world football to a forlorn frustrated player. A player that you heaped abuse on during that period.

You and CAhspur are so entwined liking each other's posts constantly you can't even concede a fucking nailed on fact that left back was a disaster that was targeted by every two bit manager in the league.

Last edited:
Not massive? Vert had to play left aback and got injured, rose was fucking terrible in general and got injured, naughton was played out of position and was terrible, fryers was played out of position also which is a big ask of him and hampers his true position.

What else happened? With rose next to him, vert went from toast of world football to a forlorn frustrated player. A player that you heaped abuse on during that period.

You and CJJ are so entwined liking each other's posts constantly you can't even concede a fucking nailed on fact that left back was a disaster that was targeted by every two bit manager in the league.

I didn't say centerback was the worst problem last year, I said I believe it is our biggest problem going forward under Poch's tactics. I've made that rather clear. Leave the past out, I'm discussing the future here.

A weakest link in one system may not necessarily be the weakest link in a new system. Therefore, using the past, which doesn't include our new man in charge, is not entirely sufficient to assume the plans of that new man; you must also consider the trends of his past systems as well to come to conclusions.

Yes, there is no denying Rose struggled. But we cannot necessarily assume from that alone that he is the top priority replacement in a new man's system. It is impossible to speculate as to the man's plans without knowledge of his system.

Giving you another shot here Gibbs, I hope you can oblige.

You are very sure of yourself, aren't you?

Judging from that quote, it seems I'm more respectful of your own intellect and ability than referring to my own. Like I said, if you tell me you're familiar with his tactics, and are still of the opinion you are, then I am literally in no further position or state of knowledge to dissuade you. So in truth, that was a compliment to you intended to communicate respect for your own understanding.

Judging from that quote, it seems I'm more respectful of your own intellect and ability than referring to my own. Like I said, if you tell me you're familiar with his tactics, and are still of the opinion you are, then I am literally in no further position or state of knowledge to dissuade you. So in truth, that was a compliment to you intended to communicate respect for your own understanding.
You don't have to dissuade me. I enjoy your discourse on football, but it is a fluid game. You appear to be advocating systems over players. That has never worked. You seem to be taking the soul out of the game.

I didn't say centerback was the worst problem last year, I said I believe it is our biggest problem going forward under Poch's tactics. I've made that rather clear. Leave the past out, I'm discussing the future here.

A weakest link in one system may not necessarily be the weakest link in a new system. Therefore, using the past, which doesn't include our new man in charge, is not entirely sufficient to assume the plans of that new man; you must also consider the trends of his past systems as well to come to conclusions.

Yes, there is no denying Rose struggled. But we cannot necessarily assume from that alone that he is the top priority replacement in a new man's system. It is impossible to speculate as to the man's plans without knowledge of his system.

Giving you another shot here Gibbs, I hope you can oblige.

Still rolling into a system and tactics ball eh? To avoid admitting I was right about our frailties. I wish you had never read that article. It's all you talk about and you use it to combat every stupid football opinion you spout since you read it. I like Americans. But there are a few that say stuff with such confidence, it's almost convincing regardless of the things they claim.

You want to move on players who have played in Brazils system. Then in the same breath, talk about a Japanese midfielder?

You compared the saints and our players attributes and wrote off half our starting 11s chances. Poch is licking his lips at the prospect of working with the players you want out the door. The majority of our players shit on theirs. We just had 2 clowns in charge. One of which thought your lone leftback could be Ashley Cole. He's the guy you just invented was interested in kono. But fair play, you said it with confidence and did not bat en eye as to how true your claim was.

You don't have to dissuade me. I enjoy your discourse on football, but it is a fluid game. You appear to be advocating systems over players. That has never worked. You seem to be taking the soul out of the game.

Woh bud, not advocating that at all. I'm simply saying that you have to evaluate players within a system, as that is the best way to truly assess strengths and weaknesses of a current squad, as well as assess compatibility of possible incomers. For instance, what does it matter if a striker is the best aerial battler in the world if he comes to a team with a system such that they prefer to work the ball through on the ground? No, I certainly don't advocate a system over a player, I'm just aware that Poch is very good at making his system apply to unexpected players at a club who may not necessarily be the "believed" best.

Therefore, it is impossible to assume based solely on last year that Rose being replaced is the priority. If you believe it so under consideration of Poch's tactics, as you declare to be aware of, then I quite literally have no argument for you and am only intrigued as to your rationale. But this last part is my entire point, not advocating systems, or "glossing over" anyone, or even that Rose wasn't a weakness last season.

Woh bud, not advocating that at all. I'm simply saying that you have to evaluate players within a system, as that is the best way to truly assess strengths and weaknesses of a current squad, as well as assess compatibility of possible incomers. For instance, what does it matter if a striker is the best aerial battler in the world if he comes to a team with a system such that they prefer to work the ball through on the ground? No, I certainly don't advocate a system over a player, I'm just aware that Poch is very good at making his system apply to unexpected players at a club who may not necessarily be the "believed" best.

Therefore, it is impossible to assume based solely on last year that Rose being replaced is the priority. If you believe it so under consideration of Poch's tactics, as you declare to be aware of, then I quite literally have no argument for you and am only intrigued as to your rationale. But this last part is my entire point, not advocating systems, or "glossing over" anyone, or even that Rose wasn't a weakness last season.
I think Poch will have identified a natural left back to play in his system. I don't think Rose comes even close to filling that role.

Still rolling into a system and tactics ball eh? To avoid admitting I was right about our frailties. I wish you had never read that article. It's all you talk about and you use it to combat every stupid football opinion you spout since you read it. I like Americans. But there are a few that say stuff with such confidence, it's almost convincing regardless of the things they claim.

You want to move on players who have played in Brazils system. Then in the same breath, talk about a Japanese midfielder?

You compared the saints and our players attributes and wrote off half our starting 11s chances. Poch is licking his lips at the prospect of working with the players you want out the door. The majority of our players shit on theirs. We just had 2 clowns in charge. One of which thought your lone leftback could be Ashley Cole. He's the guy you just invented was interested in kono. But fair play, you said it with confidence and did not bat en eye as to how true your claim was.

Gibbs, this is just more rude, close-minded, and ignorant talk consisting of your own assumptions as well as incorrect information. Have you honestly not seen me now consistently agree Rose was a weakness? Why is it you consistently refuse to correctly read my points?

You really hate me don't you? I tried again to give you civil discussion, and yet you feed me this bitter pile of bollocks back? What is it Gibbs? Considering I've never attacked you first, I think you need to come to carefully consider what it is that causes you to have so much hatred.

Gibbs, this is just more rude, close-minded, and ignorant talk consisting of your own assumptions as well as incorrect information. Have you honestly not seen me now consistently agree Rose was a weakness? Why is it you consistently refuse to correctly read my points?

You really hate me don't you? I tried again to give you civil discussion, and yet you feed me this bitter pile of bollocks back? What is it Gibbs? Considering I've never attacked you first, I think you need to come to carefully consider what it is that causes you to have so much hatred.
He doesn't hate you - he just knows he can can get a rise out of you. Be aloof.

cahspur cahspur No worries

I think Poch will have identified a natural left back to play in his system. I don't think Rose comes even close to filling that role.

Fair enough. As I said, if you believe this under your understanding of Poch's system, I quite literally have nothing else to dissuade you. Which lol at gibbs131 for assuming I would make an entire understanding of unusual tactics from one article, but even then I have nothing else since I trust your integrity and validity.

He doesn't hate you - he just knows he can can get a rise out of you. Be aloof.

You know I thought this too for awhile now, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Forceful, hateful, close-minded ignorance has often been the cause of conflict throughout human history, and the "coincidence" is not lost here.

Back
Top Bottom