Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he's absolutely garbage at centre back personally. In a back three maybe where Toby, Sanchez or Vertonghen, who are all better than Dier will ever be at centre half, can help him through a game.

But in a back four, it's a no no. Not really sure I agree on the Alderweireld comparison either. At the same age, Toby was playing for a team winning La Liga and getting to a final of a Champions League and only a year away from signing for us, where he quickly established himself as one of the best centre backs in Europe.

There is a reason Dier doesn't play centre back often for Spurs and Poch signed Sanchez and Foyth (who both play ahead of him in a back four in the cup competitions) and a reason why he hasn't played there for England in years. He simply isn't good enough to play there.

It always confused me. As a defensive midfielder he's positionally brilliant and regularly switched on but at centre half it's like he loses his positional sense and all types on concentration levels. Maybe that's just because he's training as a midfielder and not a defender. I don't know.

All I know is I'd be fucking furious if we sold Alderweireld and the best Pochettino could come up with was to play Dier instead.

Think back though, Alderweireld couldn't get a regular game at At Madrid as a CB, he was being played as squad rotation, at Cm occasionally and Rb occasionally, which is why he ended up out on loan at a mid table PL club with a 12m option to buy.

See I feel the complete opposite about Dier. Think he's a terrible CM, doesn't want the ball under pressure (never good, even for a DM, in a team that's proactive) defensively his lateral positioning isn't good, he's just good at retreating, he's hopeless in forward areas, and even though he's a DM, in 2CM systems even the 6 has to be able to exist in forward areas, he can't press properly because he's too cumbersome and immobile, if he gets spun he’s not getting back (something that neither tackle or interception stats cover, which is what Wanyama can do) and with the ball he's a limited as a CM could be, he can't move with it, no peripheral vision, name 260 game picture, his passing is totally risk averse and lacking any tempo, even his long balls are hot and miss - and the long diagonal is very over rated medium in a side that pushes teams back into the last third usually anyway.

But as a CB, where the game is all in front of him, he’s less vulnerable. I know he's not foot perfect, but neither was Alderweireld at Dier's age, CB's rarely are, if they were they wouldn't be CB's. But he's got very Alderwiereld qualities, robust, no nonsense, decent reader of what's in front of him, he's a communicator, he's not ever going to dribble out past players like JV, but his time in midfield means he's comfortable enough on the ball and should as he develops make him a better CB, as it did with Alderwerield.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything of him but I've just had a quick look and he has a big frame and can run with the ball so I'll keep my eye out for him. YouTube videos are always risky but he does seem like a strong build like his brother at left back.
...well, although they may both be 'brothers' I do not believe they are in fact siblings. They have both come out of Le Havre but it was said last year on a Lyon broadcast that they their relation extends only in name and position.

...well, although they may both be 'brothers' I do not believe they are in fact siblings. They have both come out of Le Havre but it was said last year on a Lyon broadcast that they their relation extends only in name and position.

They're not related.

Wiki says they are - but they're not. I imagine this is where Park Lane Mark Twain Park Lane Mark Twain got confused. Similarities are there though between the two.

Lyon have some really good young players on their books.

Outside of the very obvious ones I highlighted in my post what would the others be?

Despite the even more obvious ones of both being black, French, being named Mendy and playing at left back, I would say the similarities lie in their ability to take a man on successfully, the power in their running and their crossing ability.

Mendy would suit our style more than our current batch.

Think back though, Alderweireld couldn't get a regular game at At Madrid as a CB, he was being played as squad rotation, at Cm occasionally and Rb occasionally, which is why he ended up out on loan at a mid table PL club with a 12m option to buy.

See I feel the complete opposite about Dier. Think he's a terrible CM, doesn't want the ball under pressure (never good, even for a DM, in a team that's proactive) defensively his lateral positioning isn't good, he's just good at retreating, he's hopeless in forward areas, and even though he's a DM, in 2CM systems even the 6 has to be able to exist in forward areas, he can't press properly because he's too cumbersome and immobile, if he gets spun he’s not getting back (something that neither tackle or interception stats cover, which is what Wanyama can do) and with the ball he's a limited as a CM could be, he can't move with it, no peripheral vision, name 260 game picture, his passing is totally risk averse and lacking any tempo, even his long balls are hot and miss - and the long diagonal is very over rated medium in a side that pushes teams back into the last third usually anyway.

But as a CB, where the game is all in front of him, he’s less vulnerable. I know he's not foot perfect, but neither was Alderweireld at Dier's age, CB's rarely are, if they were they wouldn't be CB's. But he's got very Alderwiereld qualities, robust, no nonsense, decent reader of what's in front of him, he's a communicator, he's not ever going to dribble out past players like JV, but his time in midfield means he's comfortable enough on the ball and should as he develops make him a better CB, as it did with Alderwerield.
Dembele is a complete DM - was, - When he was still mobile for 90 minutes..... and he still demonstrates why Dier isn't, when he takes the ball from the CB's.
Dier takes the ball and looks to play the ball laterally whilst still facing Lloris. Dembele already knows the safe way to turn and immediately looks to feed Eriksen, or the wide wing backs. Dier stops the speedy flow of ball to the forwards and impedes counterattacks. Dembele facilitates the rapid forward transit of the ball. Backs to Lloris, then Dembele is still more progressive but Dier is a much better defender and breaks down play better.
Mousse, sadly is on his last legs.

I'm not and haven't been always the greatest fan of Dier as a CM.
For now though, he is our best, most healthy CDM type player, and is one we should start as often as possible.
The way I see it, we should back him as much as we can and hope he can develop further into the kind of player we'd all like him to become. He needs lots of games to retrain and better hone his instincts as a midfielder. I honestly can't see him wanting to stay on at the club though if he can't make it as a first XI midfielder here.

Dembele is a complete DM - was, - When he was still mobile for 90 minutes..... and he still demonstrates why Dier isn't, when he takes the ball from the CB's.
Dier takes the ball and looks to play the ball laterally whilst still facing Lloris. Dembele already knows the safe way to turn and immediately looks to feed Eriksen, or the wide wing backs. Dier stops the speedy flow of ball to the forwards and impedes counterattacks. Dembele facilitates the rapid forward transit of the ball. Backs to Lloris, then Dembele is still more progressive but Dier is a much better defender and breaks down play better.
Mousse, sadly is on his last legs.

I agree with the stuff about Dier, and some of the stuff about Dembele, there are many situations and games where Dembele can play a vital role in helping us control things, but I don't think he always facilitates rapid forward transit, there are way too many occasions when he wants to take too many touches and his passing, whilst more assured and composed under pressure than Dier's is also pretty risk averse.

Just seen on Dier’s Instagram story, his NFL fantasy football team name is ‘To Dier Is To Do’
DJY7frbXoAAxC_Z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom