Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was a mainstay of the best team in my lifetime and just 26. A no brainer he should stay.

All of Aurier, Lloris, Lamela, Sissoko, Lucas, Winks, Davies, Gazza, Vorm and a few others need to leave before Dier.

He's 26 years old, has been a regular since coming back from injury and is obviously a versatile and committed player.

If he's going to commit to the club for his peak years, his contract should reflect that tbh. He's a regular international, didn't cost the club much to begin with and is hardly on a fortune at £60k compared to some of his peers.

What would it cost to replace him? Would people prefer to give him a new contract or sell Sanchez and try to replace him with our scouting? Maybe he'll be one of the players sacrificed for profit and tbh, I wouldn't like it one bit. Loads of clubs will be after him (even though he's shit etc.).

I'd bet my house that Jose wants to keep him.

Nothing we have better players on our roster already who play CB- Toby, Sanchez, Tanganga, Jan, Foyth.

Jan and Juan are likely gone but I would love to sell him and bring in a young CB that could play behind Toby and Sanchez, hopefully taking over for one of them by the end of year/start of next year.

But Jose seems to love him so I doubt we sell him and instead over pay and over play him.

Sanchez, Tanganga and Foyth better than Dier? Errr...nope.

Sanchez easily, no debate. I give Tanganga the benefit of the doubt from what I saw from him, although in limited action.

Foyth is tougher to judge because like Dier he has a lot of issues. Ideally neither would play for us but given the choice I would take Foyth and his rash challenges over Dier and his defensive stupidity and inability to play the ball.

More chance of Jose being sacked this summer than selling Dier.
He can play RB, RCB, LCB and is not frightened of the ball.
If he stays fit and doesn't climb up the terraces again he will start nearly every game for us next season.

Running into the stands picking a fight. The hair just screams disaster, the freekick against Bournemouth lol. Any aspiration of Europe is lost when you have players like him in central defence. Too much sentimentality not enough professionality. Get rid

I thought the free kick wasn’t bad. Pretty good for a CB, to be fair.

Dier is our John O'Shea. Moved around to fill in whatever position is needed while not being particularly good at any of them. John O'Shea at least had the decency to understand he was punching above his talent pool and followed whatever instructions he was given on the day and worked hard to impress. Dier on the other hand comes across as a bit lazy and doesn't realise his limitations. Handy squad player, that's it. He had his moments a few years ago but we shouldn't be holding on to the hope he'll return to that form anytime soon, there's been nothing to suggest he's cementing down a position and being a boss in that position.

More chance of Jose being sacked this summer than selling Dier.
He can play RB, RCB, LCB and is not frightened of the ball.
If he stays fit and doesn't climb up the terraces again he will start nearly every game for us next season.

I was on board until you went a seat row too far.

I wonder if any new contract offers will have a clause included about punching on with cunts in the stands.

Yet, still the thicko's are oblivious to that side of his game.

[Welcome back btw, fella!]
Mate, I feel bad that I've only just seen this post but thanks a lot. It's nice to be part of the community to the point where someone notices when you disappear for a while! That's how you know you're really part of it. :)

I hope the lockdown period treated you and your loved ones well. I was offline looking after my family during that time.

(Am I the only neutral who's actually accepted as part of TFC? It definitely seems that way.. Well, unless you count Son's fanboys who claim to support Spurs! I'm a bit more upfront than that.)

I can tolerate Dier as a CB but never wanna see him in midfield anymore. I think he is a decent squad player at best and without him being English he would never come close to the starting line up of a club like Spurs imo.

To me it's pretty obvious that he does not come close to the level of Toby and Jan at their prime.

Mate, I feel bad that I've only just seen this post but thanks a lot. It's nice to be part of the community to the point where someone notices when you disappear for a while! That's how you know you're really part of it. :)

I hope the lockdown period treated you and your loved ones well. I was offline looking after my family during that time.

(Am I the only neutral who's actually accepted as part of TFC? It definitely seems that way.. Well, unless you count Son's fanboys who claim to support Spurs! I'm a bit more upfront than that.)

(I guess everyone has faced different trials but all doing ok here thanks, fella! :thumbup: )

We have a couple of sound Toffees in our midst and a pet Fox, but the sole neutral? Quite possibly...

A truly neutral perspective is always useful IMO.

Dier, Winks, Aurier, Davies. You all really think they will bring top 3 even? Seriously this is a comedy stand up.

Ah.... this once more....

In what world do some people live, I wonder time and time again.
"Sell Winks, Sell Dier, Sell Lamela, Moura, Sissoko, Davies, Aurier, Toby...etc, they are not top 3 material".

FOR FUCK SAKE YOU CANNOT HAVE 25 SUPERSTARS IN A SQUAD. It is unrealistic financially (you cannot ship out say 10*60 mil to bring in "world class" player to each position) and also in terms of team mentality (EVEN IF you would be able to pull it off, then some of the superstars get moody and needy because of the lack of playing time and will want to leave or act out!).
Liverpool up to now have likes of Lallana, Lovren, Henderson, Shaqiri, Ox and Origi. Pretty much all of them are bang averge!!! And as someone mentioned in this thread- great ManU side had likes of O'Shea, Park and few other "meeh" players. That's part of being strong club. But here people think that players who are not good enough to start every game as part of starting XI are worthless all of a sudden? Get a grip.

There is depth needed while building strong squads. It is obvious we need to bring in some new players that would be starters and mainstays in the team. But behind them, you need a group that would be professionals, do their job well and be available to be called upon when we need rotation / cover for starters for whatever reasons. Likes of Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Davies and right now even say Toby are perfect example of it.

Ah.... this once more....

In what world do some people live, I wonder time and time again.
"Sell Winks, Sell Dier, Sell Lamela, Moura, Sissoko, Davies, Aurier, Toby...etc, they are not top 3 material".

FOR FUCK SAKE YOU CANNOT HAVE 25 SUPERSTARS IN A SQUAD. It is unrealistic financially (you cannot ship out say 10*60 mil to bring in "world class" player to each position) and also in terms of team mentality (EVEN IF you would be able to pull it off, then some of the superstars get moody and needy because of the lack of playing time and will want to leave or act out!).
Liverpool up to now have likes of Lallana, Lovren, Henderson, Shaqiri, Ox and Origi. Pretty much all of them are bang averge!!! And as someone mentioned in this thread- great ManU side had likes of O'Shea, Park and few other "meeh" players. That's part of being strong club. But here people think that players who are not good enough to start every game as part of starting XI are worthless all of a sudden? Get a grip.

There is depth needed while building strong squads. It is obvious we need to bring in some new players that would be starters and mainstays in the team. But behind them, you need a group that would be professionals, do their job well and be available to be called upon when we need rotation / cover for starters for whatever reasons. Likes of Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Davies and right now even say Toby are perfect example of it.
Spot on!!!
Balance is the key of a successful side.

Back
Top Bottom