Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wouldn't be surprised if we bought a new RB either in January or next summer. I don't think Foyth is a long term solution. I'm also not sure he's going to be a long term CB in England unless we're playing 3 at the back.
I am hot and cold on Foyth making as a CB in England, I like a lot but it all depends on how he settles down and that will come with experience. I am not making direct comparisons but look at De Ligt at Juve its difficult. (*I don't watch a lot of Juve but he has a fair few Penalties and OGs and the games I have seen make him look shaky)

I think we need a new RB in January but I am not convinced we will get one.

He's been a far better CB his entire career, he just believes he's a CDM, he needs to understand that CB is his position and if he wants game time that's where it will be ... he's only 25 still has 7 great years ahead as a CB.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe it was ever his ambition to be a DM? In fact I seem to remember he stated the contrary and that his future was at centre back? I think it was rather a case of us having two quality CB's (Vert. and Ald.) and not a space to fit him in except for midfield.

In January Dier will have 18 months left on his contract. The club have a big decision to make if they want to avoid another multi million pound player walking away for free in the near future

Good thing our solid fanbase stood behind Dier during this difficult time.

Always worth considering there are human beings and personal lives behind the "footballer"
He didn't really play during that 'difficult time' though and that's reiterated in the article. No one had to be 'stood behind' him as he just wasn't around. It was the 2 years of shit performances and MF impersonations that drove folks wild and that had nothing to do with his medical situation and all to do with his play. And if he's shit again this season it will ahve nothing to do with his medical condition and more to do with that pesky lack of MF talent. Let's hope he can put in some great performances at CB but take your agenda elsewhere.

I didn't want him on the pitch today for the simple reason that he's crap when up against hard pressing teams. Nearly always has been. When we were in control, spending the greater portion of the game in the opponents half, with Dembele at his side, he was ok. Dembele made him look halfway decent. But today was a prime example of why he doesn't even deserve to be on the bench.

Wouldn't surprise me if Woodward is still in charge of the footballing decisions. He probably thinks Theo Walcott is still a terrific, young, up and coming talent
Woodward isn't really a stupid guy, the man was a junior banking exec who pulled of a multibillion leveraged buyout and became its top executive and has made it additional billions in profits and increased revenues...

He's just a bit arrogant and power hungry which is why all their training and backroom staff is vanilla, yes men soldiery, to ensure nobody questions big man Ed. But also, worryingly for ourselves, Man Utd are still recording record profits and revenues, which means sporting success really doesn't seem to impact a club's ability to generate revenue....

How many times do you see them never turn their body when receiving the ball? He just doesn’t have the hips to play in a CM role in the hardest league.
Drives me nuts to see this basic football skill but particularly important MF skill not employed by our players. I think Dier has turned into the press so much that he is like a young QB that's gotten sacked too much and now has happy feet. He won't be fixing this trait. But most supporters don't even know it's a thing with Dier. Which is why they are as surprised as he is when he gets picked off. And no, he doesn't have the hips.

Mourinho likes him, but he can’t be the vision for the long haul
Take issue here though. Mou kept putting a clearly past it Matic out there. He does like his old and loyal players even if they are creaking.

Drives me nuts to see this basic football skill but particularly important MF skill not employed by our players. I think Dier has turned into the press so much that he is like a young QB that's gotten sacked too much and now has happy feet. He won't be fixing this trait. But most supporters don't even know it's a thing with Dier. Which is why they are as surprised as he is when he gets picked off. And no, he doesn't have the hips.

Happy feet sound like hours of fun, but nah, you lost me..... :bentley:

Is it just me or was he actually a lot more mobile when he was playing in DM a couple of years ago? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was a Kante type midfielder or anything but he seemed to be able to move and react a lot quicker and not get caught out so much. Now he seems a lot slower and can't seem to get close to smaller nippy attackers. Winks actually does a much better job of getting his foot in than Dier. Hopefully he turns it around.

IMO he was physically smaller and all he had to do was a square pass to Dembele who would work his magic.

Perhaps he just grew into his forehead.

I trust Jose will know what to do with him eventually.

I know I said the "Dier project might be over" yesterday but after listening to Mourinho's comments after the match, Dier's still in his plans.

Mourinho will take a different approach, I'd say. Instead of starting him to regain form, Dier will make 15-20min sub appearances.

Is it just me or was he actually a lot more mobile when he was playing in DM a couple of years ago? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was a Kante type midfielder or anything but he seemed to be able to move and react a lot quicker and not get caught out so much. Now he seems a lot slower and can't seem to get close to smaller nippy attackers. Winks actually does a much better job of getting his foot in than Dier. Hopefully he turns it around.

Yes, I remember Dier always had decent pace before. Never this slow. It's tragic, so many of our defensive players have lost their legs.

Back
Top Bottom