Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Red top bollox and everyone goes into meltdown.
United must be smugly pissing themselves laughing...
We are no longer a selling club, we are moving in to the next level, one paper rumour and it's chicken little time. West Ham behaviour.

I didn't think anyone still believed the bullshit after the last 12 months we've been subjected to
Kneejerk aside - they extended Fellaini's contract until 2018 (Jose seems to like him, as baffling as it seems) - so where would Dier even play? If anyone from the Top 6 - City desperately need a good holding mid (and a new back 4 essentially)

Sell Dier if he wants to go and get Rashford. :bentley:
Does that leave us weaker or stronger? Does it leave Utd weaker or stronger?

I suspect weaker for Q1 and stronger for Q2. It's a bad trade in my view.

I remember when Williams was dominating F1. He gave an interview, the exact details of which I can't recall, but the essence was that a tiny advantage can turn a race into a procession. Apply that thinking to the EPL.

Despite the large difference in points total last year, the gaps in quality between the main title challengers are relatively small. This, coupled with inexplicable swings (Chelsea 50pts 2015/16 - 93pts 2016/17; Leicester 81pts - 44pts) means that the last thing we should be doing is giving a direct competitor the opportunity to gain even the smallest advantage over us.

Does that leave us weaker or stronger? Does it leave Utd weaker or stronger?

I suspect weaker for Q1 and stronger for Q2. It's a bad trade in my view.

I remember when Williams was dominating F1. He gave an interview, the exact details of which I can't recall, but the essence was that a tiny advantage can turn a race into a procession. Apply that thinking to the EPL.

Despite the large difference in points total last year, the gaps in quality between the main title challengers are relatively small. This, coupled with inexplicable swings (Chelsea 50pts 2015/16 - 93pts 2016/17; Leicester 81pts - 44pts) means that the last thing we should be doing is giving a direct competitor the opportunity to gain even the smallest advantage over us.

Yes I agree, but if the player wants to leave?

I hope Dier, whilst a 'Utd supporter' when younger recognises what he has around him. We have the best young squad in the league, a coach who actually coaches young players into that elite level. A magnificent training facility and a magnificent stadium in the very near future. He is a vital part of making our dreams a success.

If the decision was mine, I guess I'd have to try to weight up the relative risk associated with keeping an unhappy player with a lower future re-sell value against selling and taking the profit now.

Would, for example, the likelihood of our missing out on the title or CL qualification to Utd next season be increased if we sell Dier to them? What's the opportunity cost to us if that happens? Is the profit we'd make on an immediate sale greater than the possible losses we'd incur by not winning or qualifying? Could we reinvest the profit immediately to ensure Utd don't gain that small advantage over us they might otherwise gain?

I know this line of thinking focusses primarily on the financial rather that sporting side of things, but only because that's what I imaging the club would focus on when weighing up its options.

Good job I'm not paid to make these decisions, eh? :)

If the decision was mine, I guess I'd have to try to weight up the relative risk associated with keeping an unhappy player with a lower future re-sell value against selling and taking the profit now.

Would, for example, the likelihood of our missing out on the title or CL qualification to Utd next season be increased if we sell Dier to them? What's the opportunity cost to us if that happens? Is the profit we'd make on an immediate sale greater than the possible losses we'd incur by not winning or qualifying? Could we reinvest the profit immediately to ensure Utd don't gain that small advantage over us they might otherwise gain?

I know this line of thinking focusses primarily on the financial rather that sporting side of things, but only because that's what I imaging the club would focus on when weighing up its options.

Good job I'm not paid to make these decisions, eh? :)

I don't think Dier would improve Utd. Their defence is second only to ours. They need goals.

So here's how the Guardian know Dier is now open to a move to United...

"Dier, who admitted in 2010 while at Sporting Lisbon that it would be difficult to turn down United if the chance came to join the club he supported as a boy"

So here's how the Guardian know Dier is now open to a move to United...

"Dier, who admitted in 2010 while at Sporting Lisbon that it would be difficult to turn down United if the chance came to join the club he supported as a boy"

When Man U had finished the previous 4 seasons 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st. Rather than 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th as they have just done. Slightly different circumstances now huh?

Last season:
“People always seem to want to pin me down to one position but I see players all over Europe who play in more than one. It ensures they get appearances for their clubs and it’s a fantastic weapon for a manager.

“It’s a bit stupid to be talking about it [playing in a specific position]. If I could get to the level of players like Alaba, Lahm or Mascherano, I would be a very happy man.”

Eric Dier, Oct '16.

Kinda does feel a little like the Carrick situation to me. Dier is a confident young man, he came from another league and has adapted very well. Would he like to be a regular on the team sheet in the same position week in week out? I think he has the ability to succeed wherever he goes, he will then be on the phone to his mates saying "yeah it's pretty good, they've go good facilities, this and that" the other players will know he is on twice what they are on. Wont take long for some of them to consider it.

Not melting but believe he is more important than Walker for so many reasons...

Funny that the story tries to give itself legs by saying Dier isnt first choice....funny, cos the last time I checked he´s vital to our best formation.

The press have mugged themselves off over Kane, Walker and Poch, so now its Dier

Funny that the story tries to give itself legs by saying Dier isnt first choice....funny, cos the last time I checked he´s vital to our best formation.

The press have mugged themselves off over Kane, Walker and Poch, so now its Dier
Only Eriksen played more minutes than Dier last season, he was out injured for 2 or 3 games at the beginning of the season too.

Let me just be completely clear here because some seem to be under the impression I'm on the troll here.

If any player if true, wants to leave our football club, particularly if we have raised their profile as in this instance, and they feel their options are better elsewhere or dare I be cynical and say because of money, they are welcome to leave. That goes for any of them. Particularly after the last few years progress and what they potentially could be moving on to.

This is all speculation re dier, however, I commented on this as this link has popped up before. If we keep him then great, if not so be it.

As for anyone calling me a cunt, or a troll, go fuck your mother, dead or alive. I support tottenham Hotspur, not fucking Eric diers best interests, or dele Alli or anyone else. I support them when they are wearing the shirt on match day. These aren't my friends. They are professional footballers being paid vast sums to do what in reality any of us will pay to do if we had the chance.

If you don't like, can't wrap your head around that, don't enter discussion with me period.

Back
Top Bottom