Eric Ten Hag - What's Your View ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It obviously makes a difference - otherwise there would be no change in performances between Sherwood, Pochettino, Mourinho, etc - there quite obviously was a difference.
We failed under all of those to win anything while the snake meddled in DoF matters which are evidently beyond his ability.

He had the best young manager and failed to back him up in 18 - any new manager would work under the same ridiculous conditions unless a proper scouting /DOF structure is established and he steps aside from ALL football related matters - and sticks to what he does best - turn profit

Last edited:
Is his blueprint a clear improvement over Mussolini’s? No doubt.

Will he be a success here if our structure remains the same and he doesn’t have access to a similarly run operation to the one at Ajax? I highly doubt it.

He’s basically at the mercy of our incompetent organisation, no matter how much cash gets thrown at it.

I do laugh at remembering back in 2003-05 the majority of Spurs fans, and the UK footy punditocracy, scoffed at Levy wanting to implement a DOF structure.

“How can a manager be a manager without buying his players?”

Times have changed.

I think ten Hag and Potter would be eaten alive by our clown show of a boardroom. Its why we desperately need a DOF.

Here’s what will happen if things don’t change: for 18 months to 2 years they’ll give us a much improved structure plus buy themselves time by integrating young players.

Then in January/summer 2023 when they ask for the funds/support to kick on...

“I asked for a sofa and they brought me a lamp”

- Rafa Benitez after leaving Valencia in 2004

Is his blueprint a clear improvement over Mussolini’s? No doubt.

Will he be a success here if our structure remains the same and he doesn’t have access to a similarly run operation to the one at Ajax? I highly doubt it.

He’s basically at the mercy of our incompetent organisation, no matter how much cash gets thrown at it.

I do laugh at remembering back in 2003-05 the majority of Spurs fans, and the UK footy punditocracy, scoffed at Levy wanting to implement a DOF structure.

“How can a manager be a manager without buying his players?”

Times have changed.
We've just got the wrong people making the purchases.
He will have to be allowed to make his own choices

Ajax fan from Amsterdam here. He's quality. Nothing like Frank de Boer was at Ajax.

Ten Hag is also not a typical Ajax coach. He never played for them and was schooled under Pep at Bayern. He made his name at Utrecht and was considered a gamble and 'not an Ajax manager' when he was hired. Too pragmatic and without the needed flair. He made his critics eat their words by turning Ajax into an attacking machine that took over Europe, while also instilling a defensive discipline and aggression that Ajax had lacked for a long time. He's also profession with the media.

Of course every hire from the Eredivisie remains a gamble. But Ten Hag at least should not be seen as a risk due to him coming from Ajax - he is a modern, flexible, pragmatic, attacking manager.

Don't expect Poch's charm and personality though, he is more rigid and serious.

We failed under all of those to win anything while the snake meddled in DoF matters which are evidently beyond his ability.

He had the best young manager and failed to back him up in 18 - any new manager would work under the same ridiculous conditions unless a proper scouting /DOF structure is established and he steps aside from ALL football related matters - and sticks to what he does best - turn profit

You agree that the manager makes a difference though, thanks.

Ajax fan from Amsterdam here. He's quality. Nothing like Frank de Boer was at Ajax.

Ten Hag is also not a typical Ajax coach. He never played for them and was schooled under Pep at Bayern. He made his name at Utrecht and was considered a gamble and 'not an Ajax manager' when he was hired. Too pragmatic and without the needed flair. He made his critics eat their words by turning Ajax into an attacking machine that took over Europe, while also instilling a defensive discipline and aggression that Ajax had lacked for a long time. He's also profession with the media.

Of course every hire from the Eredivisie remains a gamble. But Ten Hag at least should not be seen as a risk due to him coming from Ajax - he is a modern, flexible, pragmatic, attacking manager.

Much appreciated. At the point after the bullshit that was Jose Mourinho I couldn’t care less if he was as serious as a physics professor in interviews long as the football was decent.

Thx for the feedback.
👍

I think that this is something people say about most Dutch coaches right? That you are a rather "blunt" and straightforward people for a lack of a better word. You say what you think and don't tend to sugar coat it. Maybe it is a bit of a stereotype.

As long as it doesn't reach Koeman levels it probably shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom