European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Or an even better example is Croatia. They have a population of 1.5m less than Scotland.
Aye, Wales did well that one year. Croatia have been pretty damn decent too. Sure there’s probably a couple more examples.

But you are using these few and far between examples to set a general expectation. It’s like saying that Wigan won the FA Cup so why don’t Rotherham win it.

And using population as a barometer of success is extremely basic. Where are all the World Cup wins for China and India?

A lack of invention? Nothing can be done about that. Players aren’t capable.

Trying to “have a go”? Maybe. Although we’d probably have been 3-0 down at half time. The game-plan nearly worked, it as always, we managed to Darwin Award ourselves into defeat.
I think Gilmour could of been braver on the ball. Should of had a pen but I felt the shackles were left on far too long. There were moments for you to really break and go for it in the game but the safe option was always picked.

I think Gilmour could of been braver on the ball. Should of had a pen but I felt the shackles were left on far too long. There were moments for you to really break and go for it in the game but the safe option was always picked.
If you played in midfield for Scotland, with that defence behind you, would you take many risks?

The game plan was obviously to keep it tight and then go BraveHeart for ten minutes. Nearly worked but didn’t. Tough shit Scotland.

This whole bloody best third placed goes through is a bit of an excitement killer.

Italy v Croatia would have been a belter tonight with Italy going out if Croatia were to win. However.....because Italy have one win against Albania and three points, even if Italy lose tonight, they'll probably go through???

They could go through with a single solitary win against .... Albania.

I don't know, just takes a bit of the excitement out of anything till the knockout stages.
I think it’s the opposite. Every team (apart from Poland!) has something to play for until the final game. That makes it more exciting for more teams.

The only teams that have got nothing left to play for are those that are guaranteed to finish top (Spain) and those guaranteed to finish bottom (Poland). That’s 2 teams out of 24!

Aye, Wales did well that one year. Croatia have been pretty damn decent too. Sure there’s probably a couple more examples.

But you are using these few and far between examples to set a general expectation. It’s like saying that Wigan won the FA Cup so why don’t Rotherham win it.

And using population as a barometer of success is extremely basic. Where are all the World Cup wins for China and India?
My response is in relation to those that are using population as a reason.
In my opinion India and China are not in the equation as it is not the national sport for either.

I think what Croatia do is fantastic. They are a nation of under 4m and yet qualify and generally progress to the latter stages in most competitions.
Countries with a smaller population should use them as an example of what can be achieved.

Personally, I was expecting much more from Scotland, they entered the tournament with the roar of a lion but exited with the meow of a kitten.
They were too cautious and paid the price.
England have been too cautious too but have managed to grind out results that have seen us qualify after two games.
Had Scotland qualified playing this way, i'm certain everyone would be applauding and saying it's only about getting out the group stages and ignoring performances or style of play.

I believe a better manager would have achieved more, which is the same for England. They are two of the most negative and boring managers going and players respond poorly to their style of football.

Luckily England have a chance to put the negative performances behind them and prove what they are capable of, but I am not convinced that will happen.

Negative, boring football does not deserve to be rewarded, Scotland got what their tactics and style deserved.. We have a chance to put it right.

I will not be holding my breath.

In my opinion India and China are not in the equation as it is not the national sport for either.

I think what Croatia do is fantastic. They are a nation of under 4m and yet qualify and generally progress to the latter stages in most competitions.
Countries with a smaller population should use them as an example of what can be achieved.

Personally, I was expecting much more from Scotland, they entered the tournament with the roar of a lion but exited with the meow of a kitten.
England have been too cautious too but have managed to grind out results that have seen us qualify after two games.
Had Scotland qualified playing this way, i'm certain everyone would be applauding and saying it's only about getting out the group stages and ignoring performances or style of play.

I believe a better manager would have achieved more, which is the same for England. They are two of the most negative and boring managers going and players respond poorly to their style of football.

Luckily England have a chance to put the negative performances behind them and prove what they are capable of, but I am not convinced that will happen.

Negative, boring football does not deserve to be rewarded, Scotland got what their tactics and style deserved.. We have a chance to put it right.

Croatia have been and still are amazing for what they achieve. Huge overachievement for the size of country and resources available. But shouldn’t be a benchmark for any other country as they are so exceptional to the norm.

You’re right - negative boring football deserves no reward. And that’s what it got. Be warned, if Scotland qualify for another tournament, don’t be expecting it to be different. Set your expectations to “dreary shite, but a great anthem and banter fans” and you’ll be fine.

I think Scotland’s real disappointment was 1982, they had an amazing squad and still went out at the group stage.
Agree. Scotland had good players up to (and including) Mexico 86. since then they've had very few players that would get anywhere near a 25/26 man squad of the tournament (if you were to pick it at the start of the tournament). Closest right now is Robertson, who did pretty well last night, but isn't the player he was 3 years ago.

One other thing to say is that football is actually a bigger sport (vs other sports) in Scotland than it is in England, and in most countries. They play some rugby, but less than England, and not much cricket

Scotland should invest more in grass roots facilities and coaching. It's improved, but still not good enough.

Croatia have been and still are amazing for what they achieve. Huge overachievement for the size of country and resources available. But shouldn’t be a benchmark for any other country as they are so exceptional to the norm.

You’re right - negative boring football deserves no reward. And that’s what it got. Be warned, if Scotland qualify for another tournament, don’t be expecting it to be different. Set your expectations to “dreary shite, but a great anthem and banter fans” and you’ll be fine.
I believe Moyes was pimping himself for the job, but he would be just as bad.. There must be a part of every fan wondering what would or could happen if they went all out attack and catch the opponent unawares.

I believe Moyes was pimping himself for the job, but he would be just as bad.. There must be a part of every fan wondering what would or could happen if they went all out attack and catch the opponent unawares.
He pretty much was. But he’d be too expensive. And not sure there’s an appetite to get rid of Clarke either. And he’s got the “if we’d got that penalty” excuse in his pocket.

What would happen if we went all out attack? It’d be like several clowns running across a minefield and we’d get pumped 7-0.

He pretty much was. But he’d be too expensive. And not sure there’s an appetite to get rid of Clarke either. And he’s got the “if we’d got that penalty” excuse in his pocket.

What would happen if we went all out attack? It’d be like several clowns running across a minefield and we’d get pumped 7-0.

They’d be too similar anyway

Ange would have been a good shout!

86 ... Uruguay ... for whatever reason Scotland shat their pants. Vs. 10 men. Suspect fitness was a factor for Scotland in Mexico? Denmark and Germany were strong then tbf. "Still Laudrop!"
Denmark exploded in that tournament until they came up against Spain and the Germans got to the final. The Uruguayans were a disgrace. Got a player sent off against us in the first minute and Steve Nicol missed from a yard out.

Back
Top Bottom