European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Still time for this to all just be a bad dream...

Probably the main reason I love this club is rooting for the fresh young talent, the success of an academy product, watching their rise. After this we'll be just like the rest of them, ruthlessly poaching mercenaries.

There would be no incentive for us to spend big

Enic won't care if we compete in this super league or not

They'll be happy just to be there and keep the money rolling in

so anyone deluding themselves that this will lead to spending sprees on world class players can forget it
Agreed. Italy of the 6 Nations.

Forgive the self-indulgence but I have only sadness to offer right now. It feels like I’m finally shutting the door on a lifelong relationship with a club, and with a game, that has given me more than 50 years of excitement, joy, pain and sorrow.

It’s over, I’m still fond of the old girl, of course i am after all these years, but if I’m honest I no longer love her. Tbh I can’t even be in the same house as her any more. Shes changed too much over the years - perhaps I should have changed with her but I haven’t been able to.

I didn’t renew my season ticket last year, because of how my club was treating us and because I didn’t want to pay to watch the football that was in store for us. I was impressed by the new stadium, of course I was but, whisper it, I was surrounded by an ever-changing cast of muppets every week. I am embarrassed by the antics of the players and sickened by the greed.

I've tried watching lower league clubs nearer to where I now live but the players just do exactly what they see on the telly, only with considerably less skill. Anyway, it’s not Spurs and it’s not WHL. I’ve had a few one-night stands when I was low but I didn’t enjoy it.

so, that’s me out then, even outer than I was this time last year! Not that she (the club) or you care but it’s been cathartic writing it down.

I don’t think there’s a route back for me so I’ll be heading off to the golf club to see if they’re all still wankers there like they were 20 years ago.....
That’s exactly how I feel, and outside of family I’ve never loved something for so long. It’s heartbreaking.

From a Spurs perspective, it’s absolutely pointless. We stand no chance of competing in this league against the very elite. We are just going to be that club that make up the numbers. Can any Spurs fan seriously tell me they are going to enjoy getting battered by the likes of Barcelona etc in this thing ? Come bottom or thereabouts every season in it? Spurs don’t have the muscle or the financial clout to compete properly in a super league. It would give others more ammunition to take the piss out of us even more. An embarrassment for football in general, but from a spurs angle, even more of a shambles. We need to get our priorities in order on the fucking pitch first

I think we'd make the knockouts most years - you just have to finish in the top 5 of one of the 10 team leagues.

Forgive the self-indulgence but I have only sadness to offer right now. It feels like I’m finally shutting the door on a lifelong relationship with a club, and with a game, that has given me more than 50 years of excitement, joy, pain and sorrow.

It’s over, I’m still fond of the old girl, of course i am after all these years, but if I’m honest I no longer love her. Tbh I can’t even be in the same house as her any more. Shes changed too much over the years - perhaps I should have changed with her but I haven’t been able to.

I didn’t renew my season ticket last year, because of how my club was treating us and because I didn’t want to pay to watch the football that was in store for us. I was impressed by the new stadium, of course I was but, whisper it, I was surrounded by an ever-changing cast of muppets every week. I am embarrassed by the antics of the players and sickened by the greed.

I've tried watching lower league clubs nearer to where I now live but the players just do exactly what they see on the telly, only with considerably less skill. Anyway, it’s not Spurs and it’s not WHL. I’ve had a few one-night stands when I was low but I didn’t enjoy it.

so, that’s me out then, even outer than I was this time last year! Not that she (the club) or you care but it’s been cathartic writing it down.

I don’t think there’s a route back for me so I’ll be heading off to the golf club to see if they’re all still wankers there like they were 20 years ago.....
Great post. I’m fairly near this point too - apart from the Golf. Still a ST holder but asking myself why? I’m not bowled over by NWHL but in fairness we haven’t had the time there with crowds etc.

I’ve known for years that modern football is fast disappearing up its own arse. A play thing for the Uber rich - as long as us mugs buy the tickets, pay the subscriptions, buy the shirts or whatever. I’m as bigger a hypocrite as anyone prattling on about the working class heritage of our beautiful game while paying over a grand to listen to the Star Wars theme and watch Sissoko blunder around the pitch...

This ☝️

I feel terrible for all those old timers out there who have these feelings.

My family have always supported spurs and Its been a good 15 years of following them week in and week out myself and I was already emotionally exhausted with the shit thats going on internally at the club and this announcement only made me furious.

I can't imagine what it's like to have supported a team for 50 years and watching them go from a local club to knocking down half the local spots to make more money in a newer stadium.

Levy is pissing on us and not even having the courtesy of calling it rain.

Spot on. My first game was the 81 charity shield, then a season ticket from 88 through to 95, many away games, on the road or train at silly hours, few run ins with other clubs fans, highs and many lows along the way, but thats it for me.

To be honest, I’m really hoping that the level of opposition to this will stop this shite before it gets going.

Even if that happens, this is going to leave a bitter taste for years to come.

I am ashamed :(

To be honest, I’m really hoping that the level of opposition to this will stop this shite before it gets going.

It’s footballs Brexit. Brexit all over again but in football terms driven by rich American playboys and Levy.

Yep exactly. I still see this as a hard ball tactic by some of these owners. It's all unfeasible and will be so strongly opposed that it won't happen. But the fact it even gets to this stage is so damaging. Shameful.

Surely there isn't room in the domestic calendar to allow constant midweek games in this competition? The League Cup would be dead, the PL fixtures crammed in to satisfy the Super League. International football... dead.

What's wrong with the CL is that over the years it has expanded so much that it now has a detrimental effect on our national league, the bedrock of the game. Only the richer teams, with large squads, have a chance of getting to the final stages. Sadly, this applies to all aspects of the game these days.

Spurs, Roma, Ajax, RB Lepzig, Lyon all been in final 4 in recent seasons. I wouldn't really call them elite teams.

Part of me still thinks this has to be some kind of elaborate bluff from the 12 teams....

The opposition to it from the fans, UEFA, FIFA and Legends of the game world wide is absolutely deafening...

There HAS to be something bigger at play here, surely...?

Back
Top Bottom