European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Woolwich joining the Super League

EzUJxPoVoAUnXbU

From a Spurs perspective, it’s absolutely pointless. We stand no chance of competing in this league against the very elite. We are just going to be that club that make up the numbers.

Don't be silly now. Look how the club has been run in recent years. World class training facilities, World Class Stadium, NFL, international branding. Financially we are potentially in one of the better positions in world football.

The club has been building exactly for this.

The remit for Poch / Mourinho was simply to get top 4; keep us in Europe for the least amount of Net Spend.

In terms of the squad, its clear that Spurs saw squad investment during the Poch era as not necessary since the real goal is to build a squad for the new Elite comp.

The current squad clearly knows their days are numbered and most of them will be turfed out come the end of the season.

Just out of interest, would the feeling be any different if there was 'promotion' and 'relegation' from the ESL?

Lots of hate and most being about it being a closed shop and killing competition so if it started with the announced teams, but was then run on competitive merit, does that change feelings?
Well at least we'd have ONE season in the ESL.... 'cos we'd sure as shit be relegated!!

We could start it all off off by setting a new 'Founding Fathers' lowest points total!!

Surely there isn't room in the domestic calendar to allow constant midweek games in this competition? The League Cup would be dead, the PL fixtures crammed in to satisfy the Super League. International football... dead.

I make you right.

League Cup can go. I think most would argue it holds little value (after Sunday that is) but this is filth.

The ridiculous aspect of this is that we would be moaning and screaming injustice of we were not in the elite group as much as we are because we are part of the infamous gang of 6.

The world is awash with the overly wealthy holding way too much power but my objective side knows that if we were not inside we would be looking longingly from outside.

I hate it and really hope I stick to my guns but I am going to revert
back to I'm likely to detach.

I just want Governments and governing bodies to limit the power of the wealthy. That's what is required.

Well at least we'd have ONE season in the ESL.... 'cos we'd sure as shit be relegated!!

We could start it all off off by setting a new 'Founding Fathers' lowest points total!!
No we'll not be relegated, we'll just end up getting stuffed every game forever, with no chance of a year in a second division as relief...

Surely there isn't room in the domestic calendar to allow constant midweek games in this competition? The League Cup would be dead, the PL fixtures crammed in to satisfy the Super League. International football... dead.
The League Cup has been dying on it's arse for years...

It's supply and demand. Football is just like a Big Mac. Enough people want it, are willing to pay for it, and most have forgotten what decent food tastes like.

The supreme irony for spurs is that we are the perennial underachievers, but even that hasn't made us exempt from the fast food football gang (mostly thanks to Levy).

Part of me still thinks this has to be some kind of elaborate bluff from the 12 teams....

The opposition to it from the fans, UEFA, FIFA and Legends of the game world wide is absolutely deafening...

There HAS to be something bigger at play here, surely...?
No, I think they had a pros and cons list...the top of one was "make a load more money" and the top of the other was "don't make a load more money" and the rest was a blank page...

The League Cup has been dying on it's arse for years...
It has, yes. It needed reform. But even getting rid of that doesn't create the space needed. Everything else needs to take a back seat. The SL would be the priority above all else because that's where the income (completely guaranteed) would come from.

Don't be silly now. Look how the club has been run in recent years. World class training facilities, World Class Stadium, NFL, international branding. Financially we are potentially in one of the better positions in world football.

The club has been building exactly for this.

The remit for Poch / Mourinho was simply to get top 4; keep us in Europe for the least amount of Net Spend.

In terms of the squad, its clear that Spurs saw squad investment during the Poch era as not necessary since the real goal is to build a squad for the new Elite comp.

The current squad clearly knows their days are numbered and most of them will be turfed out come the end of the season.
The current squad won’t be easy to shift, they will be being offered to smaller clubs, who will offer less wages. We will have to subsidise a lot of wages to move them

And that list of “presidents and Vice Presidents”.... good god...

How can there be any bit of integrity when the presidents are the owners of the clubs competing? What would prevent widespread corruption, fixing matches etc, with no independent ruling body to regulate it?They’d be a law upon themselves??

The whole thing just absolutely stinks to high heaven, it’s an absolute farce.

Back
Top Bottom