European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Clubs won't get kicked out, these huge clubs wouldn't join without looking into it legally

Its Man City being banned from the CL all over again

When you have Real Madrid, Man City and the likes of Levy from all different ends this must have been looked at and planned in detail.

I assume they know they have the domestic leagues by the balls as if they tried anything they would all go bankrupt at that end and with UEFA they must have looked at the legal side.

The rich and powerful have all the best lawyers.

And that list of “presidents and Vice Presidents”.... good god...

How can there be any bit of integrity when the presidents are the owners of the clubs competing? What would prevent widespread corruption, fixing matches etc, with no independent ruling body to regulate it?They’d be a law upon themselves??

The whole thing just absolutely stinks to high heaven, it’s an absolute farce.
Agbelli was basically an inside man, he was on the board to decide the new CL format. Basically resigned at the last minute from all his other European positions right after the announcement.

This is turning in to a huge conspiracy and is the closest thing to a football coup I can think of.
Frankly, this amounts to football treason as well.
Hang the lot of them

Last edited:
As per premier league they will ban every team which joins this stupid super league

Not sure it’s that simple. The Premier League was formed after 5 teams broke away and the rest couldn’t afford not to follow. The ‘’big 6’’ are why the Prem gets it’s money, no big 6 no money.

They could try and ban but it would be mutual self destruction for the whole English game. It’s fucked!

If this goes through in its current proposed format with no relegations or proper promotions then I hope UEFA throw the book at the clubs involved. I am certainly no fan of UEFA but this is disgusting. I hope they kick the clubs concerned out of all domestic competitions and that they make it a rule that any player that makes appearances in this new league can’t play international matches and is also banned from playing in the rest of the various football pyramids. That way once these greedy clubs have decided that a certain player is no longer good enough to represent them say at 27 or 28 then the lower leagues are closed off to them as well. Time to get tough to try to preserve the World’s most popular game for us the people. Surely some of the players at these clubs must be against this. We hear so much about player power so let’s see some of it in action for the real good of the game (like that will ever happen)

Last edited:
Live feed from Florentino Perez just coming in:

scrooge mcduck GIF
You lay down with dogs you get fleas, I bet baldy is having a good scratch right now

do you really think higher revenue = greater team investment at Spurs? :levylol::levylol::levylol::levylol::levylol:
" Real Madrid complete mega 400 million signing of Mbappe in a transfer that has sent shockwaves throughout football, in other news ESL strugglers Tottenham Hotspur have just announced the signing of Mark Noble on a free transfer on a pay as you play contract.

Never been so ashamed to support Tottenham. This is wrong in so many ways.

I would love us to be able to attract the best players, but this is a non-ethical way of achieving this.

As for the PL banning clubs who take part, that won't happen. The likes of India, China and the US don't pay to watch Burnley vs Brighton, they pay to watch City vs Chelsea, Spurs vs Woolwich. The PL would fall apart with the big 6 as the other countries would rather pay to broadcast the Super League.

I'd like to know what the likes of Kane think about this. A player who obviously wants to win trophies, but is also desperate to beat Shearer's goal record, and Rooney's record for England.

Whats next, no world cup qualifiers? The big rich countries get guaranteed spots and the rest of the world have to compete with each to qualify for 1 remaining spot.

Allegri was basically an inside man, he was on the board to decide the new CL format. Basically resigned at the last minute from all his other European positions right after the announcement.

This is turning in to a huge conspiracy and is the closest thing to a football coup I can think of.
Frankly, this amounts to football treason as well.
Hang the lot of them

Shit didn’t know about that. Fucking hell that’s massive. That sounds like UEFA is fucked, if the rats are deserting one sinking ship for another ship you know which way it’s going.

A Premier League game on Saturday and a high profile friendly every Wednesday basically.
It won't end there. They would demand a 16 team premier league because of fixture congestion. The league cup will go and the FA cup will be even more diminished than it currently is. Then after a year or two it will be 2 super league games each club to be played in the States. Then more etc etc The JP Morgan soccer super league.

Even if they do get kicked which they won't, sponsors would pull out of the Prem because they pay for the big 6 teams the big 6 money makers

So the other clubs would be in financial ruin, would have less money, the players would have to accept reduced contracts, which they won't and would want to move to the Super League

I don't consider MLB a sport. Is a girl's game in school.

MemphisWill MemphisWill has a point about NFL though. Is massive and only getting bigger thanks to the International games, etc.

I just think he fails to understand basic English and then gets upset when his errors are pointed out ....

TV numbers for all major US sports are declining in their domestic market, as are viewing numbers for the Champions League and even the EPL in Europe and the UK respectively ... but ... that isn't a big problem for sponsors and advertisers who don't give a feck about local fans but are only interested in Brand awareness in the emerging markets of Asia, Africa, and South America, everyone in the west already knows who they are.

This desire is what causes the "money men" to propose these radical changes, just as we've already seen happen in the US, where the local fans are completely irrelevant in terms of their revenue stream and can be treated as an irritant rather than a necessity.

The ESL won't have been proposed and funded without very careful consideration, the money men are not stupid they know that the "Super 12" are at risk of being kicked out of their domestic leagues, but they don't care. If the ESL gets the sponsors and TV deals it would appear they have lined up the "Super 12" will be massively richer ... if the EPL, La Liga, Serie A kick them out, then who will loose a massive amount of revenue? the Super 12 clubs or the now much less attractive national leagues.

We don't have to speculate about this, it's already a tried and trusted US model, yet more money rules the world brought to you courtesy of the USA, with the examples of the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL who don't give two fecks about grass roots or 'lower leagues' so much so that now these barely exist once you leave college.

Weekend football won't die just because there's a midweek ESL especially if the ESL replaces the midweek CL, which it almost certainly would.

In the end the Super 12 know this and the Leagues know this - will the Leagues really want to kick out the geese that lay the golden eggs? or will they want to keep their big money draws at all cost?

If the ESL go it alone they will take all the best players with them, maybe not this generation but for sure the next and then every one after that - US sport believed it could run independent leagues alongside the power houses of the private super leagues, they have failed over and over ... the European Leagues will know this, maybe this is a fight that they just can't win.

Better to work with the ESL then against them in a fight history suggests you will lose.

I'm 100% against the ESL - feck I'm 100% against the CL where half the teams aren't even Champions - but as in all things the money will talk, it always does.

Back
Top Bottom