Everton - The comedy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

View: https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1774526088565149719?s=20

Revenues flat or actually dropping a little over last 5 or 6 years.

But wages almost doubled about 6 years ago and broadly have stayed flat since then - at circa 90% of revenues. An impossible situation. Just madness

If there was a case study into how not to run a PL club then Everton surely has to be it?

I suspect those on football business courses will be studying Everton for years to come. If they dont, then they should.

Also, look at their match day income. Zero interest in growing that in any shape or form. Plus the wages to income at 90 plus percent for the last few years. Crazy.

Last edited:
If there was a case study into how not to run a PL club then Everton surely has to be it?

I suspect those on football business courses will be studying Everton for years to come. If they dont, then they should.

Also, look at their match day income. Zero interest in growing that in any shape or form. Plus the wages to income at 90 plus percent for the last few years. Crazy.
Can’t see that takeover going ahead - they seem to be complete chancers and even if they can borrow the required funds, higher interest rates will be punitive. I hope they are relegated, and they will be in big shit based on above

Can’t see that takeover going ahead - they seem to be complete chancers and even if they can borrow the required funds, higher interest rates will be punitive. I hope they are relegated, and they will be in big shit based on above

It is the PL though so who knows. It probably shouldnt, but the PL have proved that they dont really care who owns the clubs in the league.

View: https://x.com/theesk/status/1774759608986284133?s=20

Huge problems and misjudgements everywhere.

An easy spot is Sponsorship income falling for the third successive year from £35.0 million to £19.2 million, mostly the result of losing the the Usmanov linked USM sponsorships and failure to find any alternatives.

To put those numbers into perspective Spurs sponsorship income is estimated to be over £100m, maybe £130m ish, and reported as part of 'commercial income' which in 21/22 was reported as £184m ..... and in 22/23 is thought to have risen to £227m.

So if sponsorship income is falling through failure to find any alternatives, and sponsorship income was low to start with, its bound to adversely affect any wages/revenue % and simply increase losses.

And Everton's cost base is 'average' for PL so shouldn't be impossible to change (albeit might take a year or two given length of player contracts) to avoid the size of losses which Everton are running up, which are one of the highest in PL (Chelsea probably higher).

View: https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1774731198603940046?s=20

View: https://x.com/theesk/status/1774759608986284133?s=20

Huge problems and misjudgements everywhere.

An easy spot is Sponsorship income falling for the third successive year from £35.0 million to £19.2 million, mostly the result of losing the the Usmanov linked USM sponsorships and failure to find any alternatives.

To put those numbers into perspective Spurs sponsorship income is estimated to be over £100m, maybe £130m ish, and reported as part of 'commercial income' which in 21/22 was reported as £184m ..... and in 22/23 is thought to have risen to £227m.

So if sponsorship income is falling through failure to find any alternatives, and sponsorship income was low to start with, its bound to adversely affect any wages/revenue % and simply increase losses.

And Everton's cost base is 'average' for PL so shouldn't be impossible to change (albeit might take a year or two given length of player contracts) to avoid the size of losses which Everton are running up, which are one of the highest in PL (Chelsea probably higher).

View: https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1774731198603940046?s=20

I think if the take over doesn’t happen then moshiri either has to find a new purchaser or put them into administration and take the hit on those huge loans he has given them. But it’s hundreds of millions of pounds. How can you write that off however rich you are. If it’s his money in the first place of course. There’s been questions going back years as to who’s money it is.

Here’s one article but I remember several from years ago questioning it.

Another one from 7 years ago. Such a shame usmanov didn’t get Woolwich.

I think if the take over doesn’t happen then moshiri either has to find a new purchaser or put them into administration and take the hit on those huge loans he has given them. But it’s hundreds of millions of pounds. How can you write that off however rich you are. If it’s his money in the first place of course. There’s been questions going back years as to who’s money it is.

I've no inside knowledge but I suspect Usmanov transferred cash to Moshiri offshore to invest in Everton, possibly some being when Usmanov's shareholding in Woolwich was bought - as far as Usmanov would be concerned it would be 'sportswashing' of 'dodgy' money so whilst the loss of maybe £500m would be a problem for some people, he still owns businesses inside Russia where that might be one years profit,

But Usmanov in charge of Woolwich - one of those delights that I'm not sure I'd wish on my worst enemy !

I've no inside knowledge but I suspect Usmanov transferred cash to Moshiri offshore to invest in Everton, possibly some being when Usmanov's shareholding in Woolwich was bought - as far as Usmanov would be concerned it would be 'sportswashing' of 'dodgy' money so whilst the loss of maybe £500m would be a problem for some people, he still owns businesses inside Russia where that might be one years profit,

But Usmanov in charge of Woolwich - one of those delights that I'm not sure I'd wish on my worst enemy !

It would have been wonderful, they'd be utterly fucked!

But as usual they got lucky.

A dose of Novochok in his afternoon tea will confirm what we all know.

Does anyone now how these rules work
I keep reading about clubs being allowed make a loss of £105 million over three seasons…
So if they lost 89m last year and 44m the year before then if they say they can make a profit of 239 ( don’t laugh ) next season they are not getting a points deduction?

Does anyone now how these rules work
I keep reading about clubs being allowed make a loss of £105 million over three seasons…
So if they lost 89m last year and 44m the year before then if they say they can make a profit of 239 ( don’t laugh ) next season they are not getting a points deduction?

They'd only need a profit of £28m

- £89m
- £44m
+ £28m
= - £105m

The rules are likely going to change to a percentage spend year on year for this reason - at the moment you can bet the house on black for 2 seasons (like Villa) and pray you get CL qualification to bail you out

- £89m
- £44m
+ £28m
= - £105m

The rules are likely going to change to a percentage spend year on year for this reason - at the moment you can bet the house on black for 2 seasons (like Villa) and pray you get CL qualification to bail you out
Sorry, my maths let me down 😂.
So then if the have made a loss of over 28m three years ago then they are on a for a point deduction this season only ?

Sorry, my maths let me down 😂.
So then if the have made a loss of over 28m three years ago then they are on a for a point deduction this season only ?

With the proposed new rules (85% revenue on squad cost) they'd fail next season as well - their wages are 94%, that's before you take into account any transfer spending, agents fees, bonuses, etc.

They must be hoping Leicester come up with a huge points deduction and maybe Ipswich ( who won’t be allowed spend)…. So there might only be one place for relegation …. They are the club that won’t die….. I really want them to go down for hans segers taking a bribe to keep them up in 94 and for amokachi ruining klinsmanns dream in 95

- £89m
- £44m
+ £28m
= - £105m

That should be allowed to a strategy if clubs are prepared to take the risk..... Afterall, as the rules currently stand you could still have a June fire sale if you failed to get CL.

Back
Top Bottom